2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
OP Offline
H
Hello there! I was just curious to hear if someone have tried the CP4, and made up an opinion of it. I bought it because of the characteristic Yamaha sound and wooden keys, but must say im quite disappointed. With hours of hours of testing the different CF/CFX samples, reverb settings, key-off and equalizer, I have concluded that I actually prefer my older Yamaha P-155. I'd say the CP4 sounds are muffled, noisy and weak in the lower and higher ranges. Does anyone else feel the same? Or have I just missed some crucial settings to make it all sound better? Was it a bad piano to go for when the pure piano sound is my focus? It seems to me that it is made more for the band gigger - with the quick to use user interface and a big soundbank.

Now don't assume I'm complaining, I'm pretty sure I will be able to sell it again for a good price, as it is a quite rare instrument in my area - and I was able to snatch it for an extremely low price.

Sorry if there already is a bigger CP4 thread, I wasn't able to find one.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
What equipment are you playing it through? Sometimes headphones or monitors sound great for one DP but not so great for another.

You said "hours of testing", but over how many weeks? It often takes a while to grow accustomed to something new. I can hardly believe the P155 is a better instrument than the CP4.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the quick reply Morodiene =) I've had it for half a year now, and I would say I've played 100+ hours on it now. Yes it's really strange to say - but the newer instrument with a $1000 higher price really disappointed me. I'm testing it with headphones and monitors that I also play on the P-155 with.

Now bear in mind I am only looking for the authentic piano sound, no synths interest me. I see that CP4 does not have Stereo Sustain samples and Key-off Samples, which P-155 actually has.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I think the CP4 with it's light weight, responsive key action, range of adjustable EP sounds is good for live gigs. The CFX piano sound promises much, but with the absence of string resonance and (only or mainly) the synth like sound adjustments, is not for someone wanting to use it at home for piano. I also found the UI unintuitive. This at least was my own conclusion after checking one out a few times.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've had mine for over a year and like it. I haven't noticed the sound problems you're having, nor have I made many adjustments. Over a long time, I decided I don't particularly like the CFX sound through headphones - it's just too harsh and overpowering. But the CFX sounds great through speakers. In the CF sample, I prefer the CD Dark setting. I've not settled on anything with the S6. I also play it with Pianoteq Stage.

Did you try doing a factory reset? If you got it for a low price, was it used? And if so did someone possibly mess with the settings beyond the point that the quick reset will fix them? I had to do a factory reset after I downloaded a set of custom performances and discovered it made some low-level changes I didn't like. There's also a firmware update, although it doesn't address the issue you're having.

What kind of speakers are you playing through and which outputs are you using on the CP4? Does it sound equally bad through headphones and speakers? Have you tried different velocity curves? They can make a huge difference in the character of the sound. If you can't even get the CF sample to at least approximate your P-155, I'm wondering if you got a defective instrument.

One stupid question: Did you accidentally bump the mod wheel? I did that a couple times when I first got my CP4 and once it took me almost 20 minutes to figure out what happened to the sound.

For "pure piano sound" I don't know. You'll probably get other suggestions from people here. The CP4 seems to get more interest on some other forums I read.

Yamaha has a CP4/40 forum here:

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?o...stings&category_id=14&Itemid=851

H
OP Offline
H
Indeed those plusses is not any help for me. I will definitely look for a DP with String Resonance and Damper Resonance if I replace it. Strange to also say that I have kind of fallen in love with the P-155 reverb, as it kind of gives a good feeling of resonance and punch to the touch. The CP4 reverb was just really buzzy and almost gave me a headache even with mild settings.

H
OP Offline
H
Yes David the CFX is really sweet, but I think it really lacks in depth when for example playing classical songs. Yeah tried factory reset, no it was not used, and have not bumped the pitch-bend x)

Yea increasing the velocity depth was essential, as I think it sounded really weak with only 64. Tried it with Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser HD598 through the "phones" input, but im positive it doesn't make much difference as it sounds pretty much the same when recording to USB in wav format.

Last edited by HÃ¥vard; 06/13/15 06:14 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by HÃ¥vard
I will definitely look for a DP with String Resonance and Damper Resonance if I replace it.

Yes but resonance features - whether present or not - will not address your fundamental criticisms of the sound being "muffled, noisy and weak".

I have previously owned a Yamaha with exactly the same sample set as the P-155 and I own a CP1 with samples I assume that are related to the CP4's - at least as far as the CF-III samples are concerned. I think the CP's samples are far more dimensional and nuanced than the earlier sounds. But I would agree the earlier Yamaha samples are very fat and ballsy. Maybe that's what you miss?

Personally I don't much care for the newer CFX samples - I think they're brittle sounding.

Having the CP1 I cannot believe anyone would describe its piano sounds as "muffled, noisy and weak" and I must assume the CP1's sounds are very closely related to those of the CP4 (certainly in terms of the CF-III samples). However if that's how you feel I think you own the wrong piano!

Good luck in finding something more to your liking.

Cheers,

Steve

G
G
Thanks for your sharing!!HÃ¥vard

I am considering to get one CP4 since many people give positive comments on this woody keyboard.

Do you think it's any difference on action comparing your P155 and CP4?(wooden and plastic key? ) Does it significantly to make you feel better on playing?

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by David Farley
For "pure piano sound" I don't know. You'll probably get other suggestions from people here.

Well I think that part would be more of a personal taste thing. To me, any DP with "dry" settings sounds lifeless. I think the CP4 settings only polluted the pianosound, where the P-155 settings would create a fake, but trustworthy brilliance, punch and resonance which almost made it sound like a real upright to me.

Originally Posted by garywong0923

I am considering to get one CP4 since many people give positive comments on this woody keyboard.

Do you think it's any difference on action comparing your P155 and CP4?(wooden and plastic key? ) Does it significantly to make you feel better on playing?

Hey Gary! Wooden keys was one of the main reasons I bought it, but for some reason I still dont enjoy the touch. That might also be because I'm not satisfied with the sound coming from it when playing, but I'd actually say there is almost a bit too much resistance from the keys... Sorry I'm pretty bad at explaining in english, and I'm sure this is much because of my personal taste - but I'd say it does not at all represent the grand piano touch that I was hoping for. And yes I actually prefer the plastic touch of the P-155, even after playing at the CP4 for weeks!

So Gary, I don't know if there is much more to say, hehe... I'm at least pretty excited to test the P-255 and Kawai MP11.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hm. I am practicing on a P155 regularly and know it rather well. I've played the CP4 in shops a few times. Although the P155 is a solid piano (especially for its price) I am sure I'd prefer the CP4 for many reasons, including both touch and sound(s). To me, the sound is the weakest side of the P155, overly dynamic (this is in fact a substantial limitation for my practicing), very much on the bright side, with obvious looping which makes long notes or chords rather lifeless. The touch however is quite good.

Hope you find a piano you like - or just stay with your P155. Why spend the cash if you don't see an advantage in spending it? What is it that you find lacking in the P155?

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by maurus
Strange to hear... Well, I guess personal taste is a huge factor in our opinions x) I really love the extreme expression from the bright keys, how can that be a limitation for your practicing? I do agree that long notes/chords sounds lifeless, for calmer and less detailed pieces id actually prefer the CP4. But I think boosting the 5.9 Sustain setting and using the FC3 pedal improves that.

When traveling I had the opportunity to try the CP4 for 5 minutes, and I ordered it from a local shop (not in stock, had to be shipped) when they offered a very low price on it. Apparently those 5 minutes convinced me it was going to be my next piano for years to come, but I guess I was wrong. If i get it sold at a fair price, I will at least try other alternatives (if i can find any... bad stores here in Norway). Sound quality is an interesting thing, and I am very curious to see how different samplings, String Resonance, Damper Resonance and 256 polyphony can sound like on a DP.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I really love the extreme expression from the bright keys, how can that be a limitation for your practicing?

For me, practicing on this particular P155 is a substitute for playing an acoustic piano (which I usually do). Hence if a DP behaves quite differently than an acoustic piano there is a limit for what you can do while practicing on the DP.

Do you think it's any difference on action comparing your P155 and CP4?(wooden and plastic key? )...

Many experts will tell you (and I agree) that the material of the key is not as important as its construction and feel. Don't let what you read sway you (including this post), but instead let your own touch be the judge.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by maurus
I really love the extreme expression from the bright keys, how can that be a limitation for your practicing?

For me, practicing on this particular P155 is a substitute for playing an acoustic piano (which I usually do). Hence if a DP behaves quite differently than an acoustic piano there is a limit for what you can do while practicing on the DP.
Of course an acoustic is always to prefer. When I find one, I suddenly have the motivation to practise three times the longer than what I usually do, and technique feels much lighter and more natural, but sadly I have nowhere to play on one. Playing on a DP limits you indeed, but to me, CP4 feels more limitating than the P-155.

G
G
Thanks!!! petes1.
You help me a lot! I should trust my own feeling! Still searching the right piano laugh

Havard, I has played yamaha P255 for one year. Honestly, I don't enjoy with the key touch. It seems to have the same problem of "too much resistance from keys" like your CP4. I compared the P255 and CP4 lately. P255 has relative more resistance than CP4. So, if Cp4's key weight is too heavier for you, you will not like the P255.

H
OP Offline
H
Oh, even more resistance than CP4? Would still be worth to try it, but thats disappointing to hear... Gary, you should at least try it out for an hour maybe before you make up an opinion I think. Trusting my own feeling made me buy an instrument i didn't like =P

Last edited by HÃ¥vard; 06/14/15 08:30 AM.
G
G
After all, we should trust our feeling. I tried the cp4 many time in different days ,then come to this conclusion. Anyways, you may take it as an opinion from a user and try those piano by yourself !

H
OP Offline
H
Yes i agree smile I actually don't regret buying it, as I've learned so much from playing it. At this point it will be much easier for me to figure out what to go for if I were to look for a new one. Good luck with your upcoming purchase Gary!

M
M
Originally Posted by David Farley
For "pure piano sound" I don't know. You'll probably get other suggestions from people here.

Well I think that part would be more of a personal taste thing. To me, any DP with "dry" settings sounds lifeless. I think the CP4 settings only polluted the pianosound, where the P-155 settings would create a fake, but trustworthy brilliance, punch and resonance which almost made it sound like a real upright to me.

Hey Gary! Wooden keys was one of the main reasons I bought it, but for some reason I still dont enjoy the touch. That might also be because I'm not satisfied with the sound coming from it when playing, but I'd actually say there is almost a bit too much resistance from the keys... Sorry I'm pretty bad at explaining in english, and I'm sure this is much because of my personal taste - but I'd say it does not at all represent the grand piano touch that I was hoping for. And yes I actually prefer the plastic touch of the P-155, even after playing at the CP4 for weeks!

So Gary, I don't know if there is much more to say, hehe... I'm at least pretty excited to test the P-255 and Kawai MP11.

I've played the CP4, but in a band setting and I think the sound works well for that because it cuts through. Anything fatter gets lost in the other instruments. But for solo classical, not really sure. The action/feel was disappointing to me for the money. Not bad, just unimpressive.

Definitely try out the MP11....you will be impressed, I think. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission