Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, BaR, Anticlock, Bachus, 20 invisible), 1075 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2431532 - 06/13/15 09:54 PM yamaha P115 digital piano
seniormoment Offline

Anyone have this? If so, what is your opinion of the key action? The P115 is advertised as having the action of an acoustic piano but for me I find it is hard to play. After a few minutes my hands & wrist feel tired. It is supposedly set for the touch of a Grand piano.

I couldn't find one locally to try before buying so I ordered it. I've played acoustic piano for years & don't remember one ever having a touch like this. I'm not enjoying it so far, maybe I just need time to adjust to it. Thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2431537 - 06/13/15 10:17 PM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
The P115 has Yamaha's cheapest action. As you've already discovered it's not good.

Since you don't like it, send it back for a refund. You'll likely be stuck for the cost of shipping. But there's no point in suffering a piano that you like.

#2431539 - 06/13/15 10:20 PM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
Skylover Offline

Never trust these digital piano advertisements that promise their DPs have a grand action. THEY ARE ALL LYING!

#2431546 - 06/13/15 10:42 PM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
And never buy a piano until you've tried it.

#2431553 - 06/13/15 11:15 PM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
garywong0923 Offline

Agree!!!! I found my P255 is hard to play too. The keyboard action is too heavy, especially when you want to play the fast melodies. I don't like the action of yamaha's so-called "grand piano". Still finding any replacement...

#2431581 - 06/14/15 02:49 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: garywong0923]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Two questions:

... Have you tried different settings of the 'touch' parameter?

... Is your volume control set near maximum ( 3/4 or more) ?

I consider the P115 action to be light, compared to other DP's and acoustic pianos. So I wonder why your hands are getting sore.

#2431622 - 06/14/15 08:56 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
seniormoment Offline

Thanks everyone for your help.

Charles: I have not tried different setting of the touch parameter.

I have the volume control set on medium but will change it & see if that makes a difference.

I've never owned a digital piano before & am not comfortable making changes but will give it a try.

Any suggestions on a Yamaha digital piano close to the same price range that you like better than P115? Thanks.

Edited by seniormoment (06/14/15 09:05 AM)

#2431625 - 06/14/15 09:02 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sweden
Like Charles, I'm wondering why the keys of the Yamaha P115 hurt your hands, as it's action (GHS) is generally considered too light. I suppose that rules out the entry level Casios, PX150/PX350, for a replacement, as the action of them is heavier. As for the Yamaha P255, and the P155 for that matter, they have the GH action, considerably heavier than the P115's GHS action.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

Casio PX-5S

#2431632 - 06/14/15 09:17 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By TheodorN
Like Charles, I'm wondering why the keys of the Yamaha P115 hurt your hands, as it's action (GHS) is generally considered too light. I suppose that rules out the entry level Casios, PX150/PX350, for a replacement, as the action of them is heavier. As for the Yamaha P255, and the P155 for that matter, they have the GH action, considerably heavier than the P115's GHS action.

Lighter isn't necessarily better. It can also be affected by the bottom - too squishy or too jarring.

To the OP, you mention this is your first digital piano. Were you playing on an acoustic before this, or are you brand new to piano in general?

I would go to a music store and try out the Casio PX-150 or 160(coming out later this month I think), as well as other DPs for comparison. Bring along a set of headphones so you aren't relying upon the store's setup to hear. If you find that you are having the same problem, then you know the GHS action is not right for you and that you should look at what felt good to you - even if that means waiting to save up for it.

#2431642 - 06/14/15 09:58 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can understand that how the fingers hit the bottom (as far as the keys move down) can very well lead to hand or finger injuries. Also, if the GHS action is very light, the fingers hit the bottom with more force, than in the case of a heavier action digital piano. That plus the repetition factor, can result in injuries, like beating the fingers many times.

Maybe the best digitals are the ones with the weight of the keys gradually increasing, the further the note is pushed down, so the "bottoming down" becomes softer for the fingers? I assume such pianos are way above the price range of the P115.

Edited by TheodorN (06/14/15 09:59 AM)

Casio PX-5S

#2431658 - 06/14/15 11:24 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: TheodorN]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By TheodorN
I can understand that how the fingers hit the bottom (as far as the keys move down) can very well lead to hand or finger injuries. Also, if the GHS action is very light, the fingers hit the bottom with more force, than in the case of a heavier action digital piano. That plus the repetition factor, can result in injuries, like beating the fingers many times.

Maybe the best digitals are the ones with the weight of the keys gradually increasing, the further the note is pushed down, so the "bottoming down" becomes softer for the fingers? I assume such pianos are way above the price range of the P115.

From what I remember, it is getting a bit vague now, and been back around 6 month ago to have had a quick tickle of some different ivories in the shop while picking up some sheets. The Casio keybed bottoming out is on the softer side compared to others I tried, like CN 24, some yamahas. While Casio action is fairly light I gather, it does hit the bottom in a sort of springy way, if that's the right way of putting it. I actually thought this was a good thing to reduce impact for me, it felt kinder to me. Anyway to me it feels good, since it is not like as if you are hitting a hard wall quite suddenly, which I felt was more the case with some others.

I don't know, such traits may or may not help the OP, not being an expert on piano actions or playing or piano injuries, just to point out I did notice it back then, and also the very first time when selecting a piano a year ago trying some different models.

TheodorN, are you referring to escapement, or that notch feeling by any chance ? Casio doesn't have that feature AFAIK, but neither do the cheaper lower and yamahas mentioned here I think. Not sure if that would help one way or another with injury ?, but more the fact that it eases transition between a real grand action and a digital action to feel more natural with escapement ? some others may be able to comment further. I haven't got a clue about that sort of thing, ready to hear the views and learn smile
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq, The Giant, Cubase 7 elements.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2431659 - 06/14/15 11:27 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By seniormoment
Any suggestions on a Yamaha digital piano close to the same price range that you like better than P115?

It's personal preference, but the ones to check out would be the Kawai ES100 and the Casio PX150/350.

#2431663 - 06/14/15 11:46 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
Cue Zephyr Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Casio PX-160 now too. wink

#2431665 - 06/14/15 11:48 AM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: Alexander Borro]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Alexander Borro

TheodorN, are you referring to escapement, or that notch feeling by any chance ?...

I don't even know what escapement is, I was just talking about the force hitting back at the finger when the bottom is reached. The less strain on the finger when the key reaches the bottom, the less the risk of injury becomes (I would think.) I'm glad if Casio keybeds bottom down softly, I have a Casio.

Casio PX-5S

#2431674 - 06/14/15 12:31 PM Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
seniormoment Offline

Thanks for all the info. This is my first digital but played acoustic for years. I haven't played either in awhile & feel, with practice, I will regain strength in my hands. I'm not terribly disappointed in the P115 because I didn't expect perfection from a digital piano this inexpensive. I will keep Casio & Kawai in mind if I replace this one.

#2436875 - 23 minutes 27 seconds ago Re: yamaha P115 digital piano [Re: seniormoment]
BaR Online   content

I find that on the P95, a couple of generations older than the P115, that the default Touch Sensitivity setting of Medium did not feel right to me in regards to the pressure/sound ratio. So I set mine to Soft and it feels much more natural to me when I play and the resulting sound/timbre I hear.

I grew up playing a Yamaha Studio Piano so the action on it is lighter than a grand. Changing the P95 to SOFT on the touch sensitivity "fixed" everything for me. Granted, this does not change the "feel" of the keyboard, but the pressure in which you play and the resulting sound is affected. You don't have to play as hard in order to hear the full-on samples of the notes.

Hope this helps.

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem reading one area in bass clef
by Isabelle1949
11 minutes 25 seconds ago
Which piece describes your mood now?
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
Discovery learning
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Help on a Piano Piece
by PianoMaster757
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
Roland LX-15e and Yami CLP 585
by Grandman
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,824 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,175 Topics
2,422,309 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission