2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
So now that I'm in WI and using my new JBL LSR305 monitors with my MP11, I'm in need of some good speaker stands. But it seems that one could make their own with some fiberboard and maybe filled with sand for stability.

Has anyone made their own, and if so, what materials did you use? Pics if you have them!

Last edited by Morodiene; 06/15/15 09:20 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Based on cost, and stability. Best I've heard of is using cinder blocks.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I stuck one of these horizontally in front of my CP4 (although it was the older Expedit model). It was just the right height for the speakers, lamps, and some other stuff, and I've filled the shelves with music. It hides all the cables, too. That won't, however, work very well if you have your MP11 against the wall.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50278482/

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by rnaple
Based on cost, and stability. Best I've heard of is using cinder blocks.

Really? Not very pretty though. The bookcases look nice, but I think they might take up too much space, sadly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
For small speakers, you can get inexpensive stands.
I have a pair of these from Sanus.
New $75. I bought on Craigs List for $25.
It's not worth building them when you can get nice ones for so little.
[Linked Image]

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Go to your local GC and check these out. $99 for pair and your done. They work great for me. Very sturdy - rock solid. Foam pad at top for speaker is nice feature. They look pretty good too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro-...nitor-Stand--Pair--105794002-i1535185.gc

[Linked Image]

N
N
So now that I'm in WI and using my new JBL LSR305 monitors with my MP11, I'm in need of some good speaker stands. But it seems that one could make their own with some fiberboard and maybe filled with sand for stability.

I did something like this, but with solid oak boards rather than fiberboard. Dead easy. Four vertical boards with two slightly narrower in width to make a square vertical post; brace this internally a lot; top and bottom with larger, identical squares of the same wood for a base and top; hole in the bottom for sand.

Sand might be overkill for monitors; I was using these stands with 50 lb three way speakers.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Mordowane, speaker standy are nothing scary.,just look at some diy audio loudspeakers building forums. You just have to buy some plywood, or furniture wood, available in each DIY store and just glue it.

But, considering that you have studio monitors and that the basic metals ones are cheap, they will be better looking and it is so cheap, that there is no point for you to build them by yourself, unless you want them to look in a very personal way.

For the materials and tools you will spend like 40-60 usd, plus your time...

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I've often thought it would be nice to have a custom shelf, like a fireplace mantel at just the right height to hold speakers and such. If it were the right height you could also outfit it with a sheet music stand.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
M
OP Offline
M
I didn't realize that you could get stands for that cheap (and I do like the used price of $25!). If that's the case, it is hardly worth the extra effort to make my own. I must have been looking at the really spendy $250 ones, but certainly even $75-$99 is not bad!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by fizikisto
I've often thought it would be nice to have a custom shelf, like a fireplace mantel at just the right height to hold speakers and such. If it were the right height you could also outfit it with a sheet music stand.

This is somewhat similar to what we're doing for our surround sound center speaker. We acquired an old barn beam that we're going to make into a shelf/mantle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Morodiene,

I think they have more than enough to satisfy you smile

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-stands/2017

but, you may reconsider also the height aadjustable stands, but I think that they are more expensive, it the fixed ones will not have proper height

Last edited by kapelli; 06/16/15 05:16 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by kapelli

but, you may reconsider also the height aadjustable stands, but I think that they are more expensive, it the fixed ones will not have proper height

Very good point. The pair I have are 37"H and line up perfectly with my ears when sitting on bench. I posted my measurements previously, but here they are again if it helps:

[Linked Image]

M
OP Offline
M
Morodiene,

I was thinking that 36" would be the right height, but do you want the monitors at the level where your ears are in line with the tweeter, woofer, or split the difference? I think 36" is the 3rd option.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Morodiene,

I was thinking that 36" would be the right height, but do you want the monitors at the level where your ears are in line with the tweeter, woofer, or split the difference? I think 36" is the 3rd option.

Tweeters should always be at your ears level, otherwise you will loose most of the information coming from the loudspeaker.
Below is a chart showing the speaker response at 0 degress (that means tweeter at your ears) and that at 15,30,45 and 60 degrees difference.

This is for some specific loudspeaker, but the general behaviour is like that. Also, if you have metal domes they are far far more straight plaing than material ones - that means material ones are playing at their best at wider angle. The only solution to get the angle response better is to put the tweeters in the waveguide, but I dont know whether you have it in yours.

[Linked Image]

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I second the idea of looking used. I found some nice metal stands for my Mackie 828s that way. In my mixing room, the desk was a bit too low for my monitors, but I found a matching set of elephant-shaped plant stands. Talk about your acoustic mass! They sometimes get commented on...

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
M
OP Offline
M
That's good to know. Hubby informed me he has a nice pillar that we could cut up to make stands, so we may try this. If the tweeters should be at ear height, then for me 36" may be a bit too high...I'll have to measure more accurately.

Perhaps you can interpret the instructions in the manual: "Angle the speakers so the high-frequency transducer in each speaker is aimed directly towards the ear of the listener." I assume these would be the tweeters aimed for the ears, like you said?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by ColoRodney
I second the idea of looking used. I found some nice metal stands for my Mackie 828s that way. In my mixing room, the desk was a bit too low for my monitors, but I found a matching set of elephant-shaped plant stands. Talk about your acoustic mass! They sometimes get commented on...

I did look on craigslist, but pickings are pretty sparse in central WI.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
That's good to know. Hubby informed me he has a nice pillar that we could cut up to make stands, so we may try this. If the tweeters should be at ear height, then for me 36" may be a bit too high...I'll have to measure more accurately.

Perhaps you can interpret the instructions in the manual: "Angle the speakers so the high-frequency transducer in each speaker is aimed directly towards the ear of the listener." I assume these would be the tweeters aimed for the ears, like you said?

Lol yes. High-frequency transducer is tweeter laugh transducer is something what is changing the electrical energy into physical energy, which in our case is sound.

N
N

This is the general rule for speakers listened to at standard distances. It can be a little harsh to have the tweeters aimed directly at your head when you are only three feet away from them.

But it is probably wise to nevertheless align them with your ears, as you can simply rotate the speakers away from you a little if the highs are otherwise too piercing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission