Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (Albunea, accordeur, anamnesis, 41 invisible), 1508 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2436014 - 06/27/15 05:28 AM Roland HP508 speaker noise
Threethumb Offline

I just bought a Roland HP508, and I've noticed that 4 out of 6 speakers are hissing when the piano is powered on. It's very noticable too, I have to play a very loud and fast piece in order to not hear the hissing while playing.

I live in Norway, and every single Roland in Service Center is in the U.S., apparently. So I'm wondering what I'm supposed to do with this? My dealer aren't authorized to perform service on Roland pianos obviously, so that would void the warranty, and shipping this enormous thing to the U.S. would be both a major hassle and really expensive.

I have no idea how to deal with this, as it is obviously a fault of the speakers, especially considering the hissing goes away when I plug in my headphones. I want to have the HP508, but I don't want this one, and I refuse to pay any additional large amount of money when I've already paid a lot for a brand new instrument.

Does anyone have any suggestion at all? The only thing I can think of is returning this to the dealer and having them order a new one, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2436046 - 06/27/15 07:54 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Of course you will have discussed this with the dealer before posting on here? What did he/she suggest to resolve the issue?

#2436048 - 06/27/15 08:11 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
Hendrik42 Online   content

Loc: Germany
Roland has a website in Norwegian even: http://www.roland.no/

If I put Roland Norway into google, I get a location in Oslo and a phone number...

Of course, I'd guess it is pretty much like everywhere and you have to take your concerns to your dealer first. He'd know how to contact Roland and where. At minimum, you should copy your dealer on any communication with Roland.

There should not be hissing speakers. The 4 speakers that are hissing, are they all on one side of the piano? Could there be a source of electromagnetic interference nearby or behind the wall? Like a mobile phone?

#2436054 - 06/27/15 08:47 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
You will not have to ship your piano to the US to fix it (certainly not at your expense). Any brand which sells a product through an authorised dealer in any country must by law provide backup service to the that product. Even if they failed to appoint any service centre, they wear the cost of having it serviced at the closest/most practical service centre. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it fixed, just make sure you have your dealer on your side. The worst part is that you might be without an instrument to play for a while. But I would be surprisied if Roland doesn't have an agreement with a service centre somewhere in Norway.

Best of luck.

#2436097 - 06/27/15 12:24 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Hendrik42]
Threethumb Offline

Originally Posted By Hendrik42
Roland has a website in Norwegian even: http://www.roland.no/

If I put Roland Norway into google, I get a location in Oslo and a phone number...

Of course, I'd guess it is pretty much like everywhere and you have to take your concerns to your dealer first. He'd know how to contact Roland and where. At minimum, you should copy your dealer on any communication with Roland.

There should not be hissing speakers. The 4 speakers that are hissing, are they all on one side of the piano? Could there be a source of electromagnetic interference nearby or behind the wall? Like a mobile phone?

Wow, that's odd. I did the exact same search, except in Norwegian, and I got nothing. It kept showing me rolandus.com.

Oh, and I've already removed all sources of interference, and the hissing speakers are 2 on the left, 2 on the right, while the 2 middle speakers are fine.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm sure I can work something out with this.

#2436270 - 06/28/15 08:36 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I'm sure if you contacted Roland US they'd be able to direct you to their Norway branch. However, this should be handled by your dealer. Contact them and see if they can help. Good luck!

edited to add: Just an idea. I have this old desk lamp that I use at my piano that I think is fluorescent. When I turn it on, it creates a hiss with my monitors. I know you said you eliminated all sources of interference, but sometimes it comes from unlikely places.

Edited by Morodiene (06/28/15 08:40 AM)

#2436438 - 06/28/15 05:36 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
stamkorg Online   content

What kind of noise is it?
Is it electrical, parasitic...?
Is it just a discrete but permanent hssssss? Not variable with the volume level and disappearing when you plug headphones? If so, they will tell you it is normal.

My HP507 makes this kind of noise. It is probably due to the amplification/speakers system. A technician from Roland came at my home and heard that and confirmed ther was a hiss, and that was not a "problem"...

I tested 2 other HP507 in 2 stores and they all had the same hsssss.

I also tested a HP508 several months after, and there was the same noise, but much much less than on the HP507. They probably made a good work to reduce the noise but not at an unperceivable level.

Honestly, the HP508 is a great DP, play it and you won't hear that noise anymore in 10 days.

After 2 years of playing my HP507, I can say I can hear the hiss only when I am playing in a very quiet environment.
The best to do is to live with it.

PS: just want to add that even high end hifi or PA systems can have a little hiss...

Edited by stamkorg (06/28/15 05:42 PM)

#2436449 - 06/28/15 06:49 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Hi Threethumb,

Sorry to hear about your HP508. As others have mentioned, your first port of call should be your dealer where you made the purchase. Rest assured that Roland will work with your dealerl see to it that you are taken care of and satisfied with your piano.

Jay

#2436463 - 06/28/15 08:05 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: stamkorg]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Hiss is not a problem??
Originally Posted By stamkorg
My HP507 makes this kind of noise ... A technician from Roland came at my home and heard that and confirmed there was a hiss, and that was not a "problem".

I tested 2 other HP507 in 2 stores and they all had the same hsssss. The best to do is to live with it.
It most certainly is a problem. The best thing to do is don't buy that piano.

My piano makes no hiss at all. None that I can hear.
PS: just want to add that even high end hifi or PA systems can have a little hiss.
My bottom-of-the-line A/V receiver makes no hiss at all.

I wish people wouldn't accept hiss as normal. It's not. It's a sign of poor quality. And that's not acceptable to me.

#2436503 - 06/28/15 10:32 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: MacMacMac]
grace_note Offline

Loc: California, USA
[/quote]I wish people wouldn't accept hiss as normal. It's not. It's a sign of poor quality. And that's not acceptable to me. [/quote]

IMHO, it's not a sign of poor quality, but that something is wrong with the system. I also have a new HP508, and I experience no speaker noise at all... I have the speaker volume set to 50 (of a range of 1 - 100), which sounds about like the normal volume of an acoustic piano.

Edited by grace_note (06/28/15 10:34 PM)

#2436550 - Yesterday at 05:08 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: grace_note]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

If the unit is hissing, it's defective. So you're quite right about this:
Originally Posted By grace_note
... something is wrong with the system.
Keep in mind, though, that the OP is referring to a new piano. One that he "just bought".
Well, new + defective = poor quality.

Morodiene brings an interesting insight:
Quote:
I have this old desk lamp that I use at my piano that I think is fluorescent. When I turn it on, it creates a hiss with my monitors.
But Threethumb indicated ...
Quote:
...I've already removed all sources of interference ...
... yet the hiss remains.

#2436642 - Yesterday at 12:31 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]

Threethumb,
Keep us informed please

#2436650 - Yesterday at 12:41 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Jay Roland]

Originally Posted By Jay Roland
Hi Threethumb,

Sorry to hear about your HP508. As others have mentioned, your first port of call should be your dealer where you made the purchase. Rest assured that Roland will work with your dealerl see to it that you are taken care of and satisfied with your piano.

Jay

Jay Roland,

Excuse me in advance, I don't want to attack you but I think that an official answer should be given to these 2 questions:
1- Are the HP serie speakers totally noiseless?
2- Do you (Roland) consider as normal a small amount of hiss?
Sorry but it is not the first time this kind of noises are reported.
We are not all equal and some of us are more sensitive to that. I HAVE HEARD noise (discrete hiss) on 3 HP507 and 1 HP508 (brand new in the store and in my house...). I am not crazy. These cannot be 4 defective units, it is improbable statistically.

I suspect you can't answer, but are you at least allowed to transfer these questions to those who can?

Thanks

Edited by stamkorg (Yesterday at 03:53 PM)

#2436658 - Yesterday at 01:03 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: grace_note]

Originally Posted By grace_note
I also have a new HP508, and I experience no speaker noise at all...

There is maybe a problem with some pieces on some units... But then, if it is the case, Roland should propose a solution to their customers.

#2436727 - Yesterday at 03:07 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Propose a solution? Such as ... replace the defective parts or replace the piano?

#2436739 - Yesterday at 03:47 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: MacMacMac]

Originally Posted By MacMacMac
Propose a solution? Such as ... replace the defective parts or replace the piano?

MacMacMac, MacMacMac, cool

yes, one of these two solutions would be great but, first of all before replacing parts or the entire piano... there should be admitted by Roland that what some of us hear is a "problem". And until now it is not the case...

#2436787 - Yesterday at 05:23 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

If I owned that piano I'd wouldn't want to wait for Roland to admit to anything.

If I buy new, I expect it work properly. If it doesn't it must be fixed or replaced ... or returned for refund.

The fallout from WW II was that people will accept junk quality goods. "Buy our American crap ... because that's all there is. Our competition lies smoldering in the ruinous aftermath of war. You will buy our junk and you will like it."

So that's what we got for several decades. Junk. Then Japanese industry rose from the ashes and taught us about quality ... and taught us to stop accepting poor quality products.

That was 40 years ago. There's no longer any excuse for impoverished products. I don't tolerate such. Not anymore.

#2436792 - Yesterday at 05:41 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: stamkorg]
bennevis Offline
6000 Post Club Member

there should be admitted by Roland that what some of us hear is a "problem". And until now it is not the case...

How many is "some"?

This is the first post I've seen here about this particular problem. Whereas some other DPs seem to have the same problems again and again.

If I had a defective new DP - defective new anything -, I wouldn't faff around - I'd demand a replacement immediately from the dealer, and expect to get it, or else. Frankly, I'm amazed that so many people here even post asking for advice from strangers about these things before contacting their dealer - especially about those DPs that seem to get the same recurrent problems.

#2436803 - Yesterday at 06:35 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: bennevis]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By bennevis
Frankly, I'm amazed that so many people here even post asking for advice from strangers about these things before contacting their dealer...

Hold on to your hats....I agree with bennevis. Actually not for the first time either.

Everything here is complete speculation until the OP talks to the supplying dealer. Maybe that dealer will propose a very sensible and prompt solution - in which case this thread was a pointless exercise.

I asked the OP early in the thread what the dealer had said. I asked the question partly from a mischievous standpoint because it was perfectly obvious the OP had come here to consult a public forum before doing the only sensible first act, i.e, referring the matter to the dealer first.

#2436881 - Today at 02:29 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: stamkorg]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Originally Posted By Jay Roland
Hi Threethumb,

Jay

Jay Roland,

Excuse me in advance, I don't want to attack you but I think that an official answer should be given to these 2 questions:
1- Are the HP serie speakers totally noiseless?
2- Do you (Roland) consider as normal a small amount of hiss?
Sorry but it is not the first time this kind of noises are reported.
We are not all equal and some of us are more sensitive to that. I HAVE HEARD noise (discrete hiss) on 3 HP507 and 1 HP508 (brand new in the store and in my house...). I am not crazy. These cannot be 4 defective units, it is improbable statistically.

I suspect you can't answer, but are you at least allowed to transfer these questions to those who can?

Thanks

At this point, without being in front of this exact piano, in its current environment, no...I will not comment. It would be irresponsible of me to do so.

The OP can and hopefully already has made contact with his dealer, and they hopefully will make it right, with the full cooperation of their local branch of Roland.

My hands are tied, as I now represent one small region of Canada as a full line Roland/BOSS rep. I have no ties or contacts in the Scandinavian countries.

Jay

#2436894 - Today at 03:46 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: bennevis]

Originally Posted By bennevis

How many is "some"?

At least 6 persons (including Threethumb) with the same "symptoms"...
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2253874/1.html

Edited by stamkorg (Today at 03:51 AM)

#2436920 - Today at 07:44 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: MacMacMac]

If I owned that piano I'd wouldn't want to wait for Roland to admit to anything.

If I buy new, I expect it work properly. If it doesn't it must be fixed or replaced ... or returned for refund.

MacMacMac,

I (in my personal case) have contacted the dealer and the technician, who came at home and heard the noise, but he considered that as "in the normal range". There is no start point for a return, a replacement or something else since there is no "official" defect...

Edited by stamkorg (Today at 07:45 AM)

#2436923 - Today at 07:56 AM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

For me, the "start point for a return" begins with the customer ... me. A technician's opinion of "the normal range" means nothing. I'm the customer. I paid my money. I have to be satisfied. So I make the judgment.

Hissing is an an "official" defect simply because I say so. Thus, the piano gets fixed or replaced or refunded. I do not acquiesce to someone else's declaration of normalcy.

#2437038 - Today at 01:53 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Your dealer may have poor high frequency hearing. Have a few people in the store listen to your piano. Then have a listen to other pianos in the store for comparison. Somebody should be able to hear it if it's there.

#2437057 - Today at 02:44 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: ando]

Originally Posted By ando
Your dealer may have poor high frequency hearing. Have a few people in the store listen to your piano. Then have a listen to other pianos in the store for comparison. Somebody should be able to hear it if it's there.

Guys, sorry for my bad english, it is not my main langage. So I am not sure you understand what I try to say here.

Ando,
There is no question if there is a noise or not... There is... We heard it (me, the technician, the seller).
The question is weither this noise is inside the normal limit or not... Here, the answer was "yes, that is a normal level of background noise, this is not a defect".
If you buy on an internet store, generally you have a 30 days time period to decide. But if you buy at a store, there is no trial period, at least where I live.
So, you should understand that if you give attention to that 2 or 3 months after the purchase, there is no solution because it is not recognised as a defect by the officials. You can always put the fire on the store, but ok...

So, ok, my piano is 2 years old now and I live very well with it. And if I had to choose again, Roland would be certainly one of my firdt choice.

Good luck,

Edited by stamkorg (54 minutes 34 seconds ago)

#2437061 - Today at 03:01 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: MacMacMac]

. I do not acquiesce to someone else's declaration of normalcy.

So, if your weight is 180 kg, it is normal because you said it is?

Normality is a statistical state. For a noise level you could define that state, for example, as "the noise level that don't disturb 99% of the customers". If you are in the other 1%, no chance for you.

That is where an official statement from Roland would be helpfull.

But I understand and respect your point of view.
Best regards,
SK,

PS: Conclusion, be very careful to these things before you buy a DP or something else.

#2437070 - Today at 03:20 PM Re: Roland HP508 speaker noise [Re: Threethumb]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

If you're unhappy with the piano, that's all that matters.
So what good is an "official" statement from Roland?

Firstly, they're not likely to make such a statement.

Secondly, it doesn't even matter because you don't need a "statement", do you?
You need a no-hiss piano.

If it were me I'd return the piano and get a different one.

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover Music Competition - Help me out?
by RyanThePianist
06/30/15 03:49 PM
Periscope
by knotty
06/30/15 03:03 PM
Facebook Page for Piano Data
by PaintedPostDave
06/30/15 02:17 PM
A voicing question
by TheTuner
06/30/15 11:35 AM
Fixing weak areas in piano pieces?
by Halee Reddick
06/30/15 11:24 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,838 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,191 Topics
2,422,517 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission