2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MRC Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kahtwoloo
It's Let it Go, Kyle Landry's arrangement and it's on the third page at the bottom in the 64th measure. This part is mostly melodic chords on the right hand while the left is playing single notes as 'filler' (not sure what this is called).

Basically a single F (lowest on the keyboard if you have an 88 key piano) is being played with chord just before it. Then you play the 'impossible chord' immediately after with NO left hand note to harmonize with it. The next chord is whatever while the left hand jumps up to the first D flat that's below middle C, leading me to believe the lower G is to be played with the left hand. Also, the first three notes of that next chord are conveniently the same as the last three of this 'impossible chord'.

And the key is A flat Major.

I found a version of that piece here.

In that transcription (apparently different from the one you are using), measure 64 is indeed at the bottom of page 3, but doesn't contain the chord you describe. In measure 65 the right hand plays the chord G-Db-G, which is the chord you mention minus the Ab. Is that the measure you are talking about?

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
K
OP Offline
K
Yeah it's a little different in this version. The grandioso starts on 61 on my version making it 65 on mine, 64 on yours. The left hand notes are a bit different on yours and yes the A flat is missing yours as well.

C
C
Originally Posted by kahtwoloo
this song I'm learning has a chord that seems impossible. Unfortunately I'm behind on theory so I don't know the key the song is in OR the name of the chord but here are the notes.

G
A flat
D flat
G

It's on the right hand and my pinky hits F but can't stretch to that last G. This is the first time I've had this problem is there anyway around it?
I have stretched my hand and fingers slightly, feeling a little tension, but I can play it. I use thumb on G, 2 on Aflat, 3 on Dflat and pinky on G.

Do you know how Chopin's Ballade 4 begins? Its first couple of bars are quite hard to play. I can reach those chords but it's hard to play smile I don't know how pianists can play it fluently!

EDIT:
The video below shows a Japanese pianist who I believe has rather little hands, yet, she manages to stretch fingers enough to play octaves but her pinky is at the edge of keys.

Well, everything's possible if you practice smile

Last edited by Celdor; 06/25/15 05:34 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
MRC Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Then I would recommend you leave out the A flat, as is done in the transcription I linked to. The right hand plays the melody in octaves, filled in with chord notes. If you leave out the bottom G, the melody is not played correctly in the bottom octave.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Medden
Can you play both the G and the A flat with your thumb?

This may be the easy way if you roll it top to bottom. Your thumb just slides off the Ab to the G. Sostenuto, if you have one that works, could help here.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
To the OP, it sounds like you'll be able to play the lower G with your LH, so the original problem is solved. But I just wanted to comment on the thinking behind leaving out notes.

The advice to leave out an octave note is good *in general* but it also really depends on the context of the piece and what the other hand is playing, what came immediately before and what comes after the chord in question. Definitely try a couple different versions (leaving out a note inside the chord, leaving out one of the octave notes etc.) And let your own ears be the judge. Sometimes you might decide you want to keep the octave and can get rid of one of the interior notes, as this post suggested:

Originally Posted by MRC
Then I would recommend you leave out the A flat, as is done in the transcription I linked to. The right hand plays the melody in octaves, filled in with chord notes. If you leave out the bottom G, the melody is not played correctly in the bottom octave.

This is a good argument for why just leaving off an upper or lower note of the octave as a rule isn't going to apply to all pieces.

On the flip side, and IMO this esp applies to popular music and solo piano transcriptions of pop tunes, sometimes leaving in those "extra" notes are what gives the arrangement it's flavor. You might find that it loses something without those additional notes.

So always *always* try a few options and trust your ear. And don't forget to look at what the left hand is doing, and play the various options you're considering with both hands together to see how it will sound with all the notes involved.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
For me 1245 works just fine.

Heather's suggestion with 1125 feels more relaxed but gives little control on the G and Ab making the chord sound badly voiced. But if the next melody note would need a pinky or so I could also do 1124 or even 1123 and if the melody is more important that might be the best choice

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission