2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 60 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 59 60
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Debargue fatigued out. His concentration is weak now.
Probably he is out.

R
R
Wow, our first bravo and applauding between Tchai movements. Not even Li got that. Is there someone in the crowd perhaps intent to create such a scene?

R
R
Yep, fading out hard.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
He could have more friends than others there. I told you, when the finalists were announced he received lots of applause, and only family and friends were there. And, you know, the French can be very vocal!

He has lots of fans, though. Many nice messages being sent there on the page, and people saying he is a real musician and not just hitting the keys.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Nice cello solo indeed - seriously looking forward to Tchai 2. Woah, fast scherzando section now!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Hakki
Debargue fatigued out. His concentration is weak now. Probably he is out.

I've never watched the Tchaikovsky Competition before. Quite frankly I'm surprised that each finalist must perform TWO major concertos with only a short break (if you can even call it a break) between each. This may be a standard procedure at other major competitions as well, but I can't begin to fathom the level of concentration, endurance and skill (technical and musical) that it requires.

I thought Dubargue played the 2nd movement beautifully...and what he's doing right now with the final movement is amazing.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
R
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by Hakki
Debargue fatigued out. His concentration is weak now. Probably he is out.

I've never watched the Tchaikovsky Competition before. Quite frankly I'm surprised that each finalist must perform TWO major concertos with only a short break (if you can even call it a break) between each. This may be a standard procedure at other major competitions as well, but I can't begin to fathom the level of concentration, endurance and skill (technical and musical) that it requires.

I thought Dubargue played the 2nd movement beautifully...and what he's doing right now with the final movement is amazing.

I don't remember any other major competition having this hellish rule. Rubinstein had its finalists play their classical and romantic/modern concertos separately last year.

R
R
Would you believe I have no impression of Debargue, overall? As bewildering and yet intriguing as he was all contest long.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
"Would you believe I have no impression of Debargue, overall? As bewildering and yet intriguing as he was all contest long."

I have the same feeling.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
As I said earlier, it's extremely rare even in major competitions to do two concerti one after the other. In a few competitions, there's a requirement to do a classical concerto plus a romantic concerto, and perhaps there are a few competitions where you're doing one just after the other - but doing two major romantic concerti one after the other is highly unusual in competitions. They didn't even do it this way last time in the Tchaikovsky competition, and previous times I don't know what the standard practice has been:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Tchaikovsky_Competition_2011_%E2%80%93_Piano

Also, I'm frankly surprised by such negative remarks as 'Yeah, fading out hard', 'He is probably out' and so on. What I heard from this performance was that there were a couple of inconsistencies here and there, but overall lots of good things in his playing.

Last edited by fnork; 06/29/15 12:21 PM.
R
R
It was more of a real-time observation, on my behalf. His ending of the first movement sounded genuinely weary and spent. I think he finished the last movement well, though.

H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
That is to mean, he was so good but unfortunately performing two concertos effected his performance.
Otherwise at one moment in his Liszt I was almost in tears.
Very expressive playing overall.
So my comment was that I am sorry that he won't probably place.
I like his musical playing.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Da, I went to check the poll. It is not on the main page anymore so couldn't find it. The cello poll in main page now and the 2 Russians have all the votes.

D
D
Originally Posted by Ricochet75
It was more of a real-time observation, on my behalf. His ending of the first movement sounded genuinely weary and spent. I think he finished the last movement well, though.

Debargue does look a bit on the thin side.

Geniusas has a larger frame and has a bit more meat. So he may have the stamina to last his two concertos.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is it going to be "Kevin Spacey" conductor for everybody?

(Maestro Bogorad is terrific.)

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
B
Originally Posted by da96103
Originally Posted by Ricochet75

Debargue does look a bit on the thin side.

Geniusas has a larger frame and has a bit more meat. So he may have the stamina to last his two concertos.

Does an ultra-marathoner (or Ironman triathlete) have a large frame?

Does Martha Argerich lack stamina - even at her age?

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
D
Originally Posted by Albunea
Da, I went to check the poll. It is not on the main page anymore so couldn't find it. The cello poll in main page now and the 2 Russians have all the votes.

This the tricky part. Every time you refresh the page, you get a different poll.
Either the piano, violin, cello or voice.

Or you can click this direct link:
http://tchaikovskycompetition.moscow/polls/piano/3round

D
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
[Does Martha Argerich lack stamina - even at her age?

Martha Argerich is an anomaly. She does not use energy in her performance, she GETS energy from the performance.

In 'Bloody Daughters', a documentary directed and produced by her third daughter, Stephanie Argerich, there was a clip of Martha getting ready to do a solo recital in Japan. (Argerich does not do anymore solo recitals because it is too 'lonely'.) Stephanie narrated: (I paraphrase)

"Mom is always nervous before her performance. She would complained that she does not want to do this. But she would go and perform anyway. By the time she finished, I would look 5 years older and she would look 10 years younger."

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cellist often do two short, demanding concerti in one concert--with break.

Pianists? I saw Barenboim do Beethoven 3 and Tchaik. 1 in one live NY Phil concert, years ago. With a breather between (orchestra-only work).

I guess, due to all the Mozart, no Beethoven concerti in the finals.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Originally Posted by fnork
As I said earlier, it's extremely rare even in major competitions to do two concerti one after the other. In a few competitions, there's a requirement to do a classical concerto plus a romantic concerto, and perhaps there are a few competitions where you're doing one just after the other - but doing two major romantic concerti one after the other is highly unusual in competitions. They didn't even do it this way last time in the Tchaikovsky competition, and previous times I don't know what the standard practice has been:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Tchaikovsky_Competition_2011_%E2%80%93_Piano
I was trying to figure out the possible reason for this. The only thing I could come up with is that, since all but one play the Tchaik 1, it would very boring/difficult for the audience, judges, and orchestra to play four Tchaik 1 in a row. If they decided to get around this by doing some of the competitor's choice of concerto instead of the Tchaik 1, it might be considered an unfair advantage.

Originally Posted by fnork
Also, I'm frankly surprised by such negative remarks as 'Yeah, fading out hard', 'He is probably out' and so on. What I heard from this performance was that there were a couple of inconsistencies here and there, but overall lots of good things in his playing.
Considering the source and the number of negative comments he has posted for this competition and other competitions, perhaps you shouldn't be surprised.

Page 31 of 60 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission