2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I'm looking to buy something that will give me both a built-in realistic piano sound and a good built-in synth sound and functions. I have studio monitors and don't really need built-in speakers although they certainly couldn't hurt. I'll be using this to add piano and synth to songs, and maybe to write piano/synth-based songs, but not for learning purposes.

I was able to try the Roland VR-09 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031eWLdgyLM) in a store and was highly impressed by their piano and synth sounds. However, it's a bit out of budget for me and I don't think I would use the organ section much. Does anyone have recommendations for something with similar piano/synth functionality? I only use a DAW for recording purposes and don't have any other software so I'd only be using the built-in sounds.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by jkim4007; 07/01/15 02:22 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a synth man but I see the VR-09 is just over £500 here in the UK. I'm struggling to think of anything with decent piano and real synth capabilities for less money. By synth do you mean the ability to create new sounds/textures etc onboard, or do you mean something that has some synth sounds on it but with minimal ability to manipulate them?

You can get some synth sounds on cheaper Yamaha and Casio keyboards but I don't think anyone could call them synthesisers!

Good luck,

Steve

C
C
At that price, I would consider a controller for around £350 ( http://www.thomann.de/gb/master_keyboards_up_to_76_keys.html?oa=pra&viewMode=block ). There are cheaper options but you can get 76 key (studiologic) at that price and 61 keys for much less and use software sounds which may be already included on your DAW.

Last edited by Col.B.; 07/01/15 07:33 AM.
IMO, best would be to get a controller to your liking and get somethig like Pianoteq and a powerful synth plugin like Sylenth1 or such.

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
But jkim4007 says that the keyboard will be the only sound source, implying the DAW has not sounds or that they are no good.

If it is only sounds - and not synth programming capability that is needed, and not piano action, I would look at Yamaha/ Casio keyboards with large numbers of sounds, but no programming capability, apart maybe from some outboard sound processing. These are much cheaper. However, I'm not sure how good the piano voices are - they may be very good, or barely adequate.

On the other hand, as Col.B says, a controller keyboard (no sounds) plus computer based sounds (VSTi) is the best route - but it probably takes more work, and needs a fast computer to run.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
J
OP Offline
J
I have a laptop with not a lot of free disk space and my DAW is Garageband (no sounds), so unfortunately I don't think a controller would be right for me.

I'm also looking for some ability to manipulate the synth sounds (add reverb, overdrive, delay, etc.) and tweak parameters.

Appreciate all the answers so far.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If you are impressed by the piano sounds and other patches, and you want some programming capability, the VR-09 looks very hard to beat. If you don't want to go for VSTi for the moment, I agree with EssBrace that you may have found the keyboard you need already. IF it is £500, it looks like a pretty good deal to me. You just need to prepare to spend a bit more.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
What's your budget?

You may want to look at the Casio PX-5S. It's a stage piano, but it has a lot of synth options. You can't create your own sounds, but you can tweak a lot of the parameters which may be enough for your purposes now. Plus, you get a decent piano action and 88 keys.

If you really want a workstation, then the VR-09 is a good choice. Also you may want to check out the Korg Kross which may be a comparable price. Yamaha has the MOXF6 which is out of your price range, but you may be able to find the previous rendition, the MOX6, in the used markets. Personally, I'm not overly fond of the piano sounds it has, but some people like the Yamaha piano sounds.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I have a laptop with not a lot of free disk space and my DAW is Garageband (no sounds), so unfortunately I don't think a controller would be right for me.

There are sounds in their look at the 'Library' and enable 'Smart Controls'. But since you have a Mac for only $29 if you download Mainstage 3 you will get:
Three grand pianos, a Bosendorfer, Yamaha and Steinway. You also get several synths that have controls for sound design as well as electric pianos, organs, drums and orchestra instruments. It really is amazing what they give you, it will also let you play to tracks and allow you to layer sounds and use 3rd party instruments.

There are also several plugins by UVI, Sonivox and others that are cheap or sometimes free. I have a VR-09 it is a nice instrument, though it has its quirks. And it doesn't have the greatest keybed, its very springy. But it can't compare to the amount of capabilities you can get with a decent controller and your computer for the price. Though the costs can add up over time! Since there is always new software coming out at some point you look back and think wow I've spent over $2k in software, just not in one shot!

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 07/01/15 11:01 AM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jkim4007
I was able to try the Roland VR-09 in a store and was highly impressed by their piano and synth sounds. However, it's a bit out of budget

For less than the VR-09's $899, look at:
Roland Juno-DI $699 (should be largely similar sounding to the VR)
Korg Kross $699
Casio XW-G1 $599 (this has the most real-time synth functionality)
Casio XW-P1 $499

Or, if you prefer weighted keys for piano playing, Casio PX-350 at $699, but while it has some synth sounds in it, it doesn't have nearly the synth functionality of the ones listed above.

As mentioned, you can add Mainstage and/or other computer (or iPad) based sounds. Then the XW-P1 might be the best option above because it has strong MIDI functions... not only can you easily mix internal and external sounds, but you can also use its sliders to control parameters on software based instruments.

Last edited by anotherscott; 07/01/15 11:55 AM. Reason: added more options
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . You may want to look at the Casio PX-5S. . . .

If you want to modify sounds (as opposed to just using the built-in sounds), the PX-350 is a poor choice. There's no sound-shaping capability except for a few reverb options.

But check out the Sound on Sound review of the PX5s, even if it's out-of-budget:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul14/articles/casio-privia-px5s.htm

This is completely off-the-wall, but you could buy a Casio PX-150 and a microKorg / mK XL / mK XL+ for less than a PX5s. The microKorg's -- for all their tiny size -- are "real synths".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Right... I didn't mention the PX5S because it is more expensive than the VR-09 that is already over-budget. I agree that the PX350 is not a synth in any traditional sense, but it does at least have some synth sounds.

Two keyboards could be a way to go. Your PX-150+MicroKorg combo again misses the cheaper-than-VR09 target, but the MicroKorg could be combined with, say, a Yamaha NP11 or NP31 for a low-cost piano+synth combo, since weighted action doesn't seem to be an issue.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
What about Casio XW-G1/P1? It is not a digital piano, but neither is VR-09. It's cheap, good sounding keyboard. If it has the same piano sample set that PX5-S (plz make sure about that), you should be more than happy with it.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
The XW-G1/P1 (which I also mentioned above) does not have as good a piano sound as the PX5S. But maybe good enough (and especially if he can also trigger a soft piano when needed).

I also didn't bring up the PX-5S due to its price, but if others are recommending it here, I'll give it a +1 and not just because I own one. :P

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Steinberg UR22, KRK RP6 G2, JBL LSR305
Guitar, mandolin and banjo player, hobbyist producer.
on YouTube
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Sorry, I missed your post where you recommended Casio XW.

When I've read OP post, the first thing that came to my mind was PX5-S. It perfectly fits his needs. I hate "spend more money" advices, but in this case it's really worth doing.

Last edited by Qaroll; 07/02/15 05:32 AM.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission