Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (accordeur, ando, 36251, alex7121, albumblatter, 28 invisible), 1267 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2437628 - 07/01/15 09:32 PM What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert?
nylan3 Online   content

Loc: Sweden
Hi! What is the difference between the "Roland PHA IV Premium action" (can be found in HP504) and the "Roland PHA IV Concert action (HP506)"?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2437705 - 07/02/15 03:37 AM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
That still is a big question.
Tell us if you have found out for sure.

There is a thread discussing this topic somewhere. Cant find it right now.

#2437717 - 07/02/15 05:07 AM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
Leonid Offline

Difference in trim. PHA-4 Concert - white keys - two layer ivory feel construction on stable wood like basis, black keys - wooden like moisture absorbing coating. Premium - one layer ivory feel construction and just matte black keys.

#2437751 - 07/02/15 07:35 AM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
JEB NYC Offline

This guy seems to think that there is a difference between the two, beyond the trim, that is noticeable:

The best key action, which is in the HP506 & HP508, is called Concert Keyboard (an appropriate name actually). The key action in the HP504 is called Premium Keyboard. The difference between the two is that the Concert Keyboard in the HP506 & HP508 feels even more like a grand piano to me and the Premium Keyboard action in the HP504 (below left pic) is just slightly less like a grand piano compared to the Concert Key Action, but still very enjoyable to play and much better than most other brands in its price range.

No idea if he is right though; I could only find examples of the Concert when I was in the market recently.

#2437835 - 07/02/15 12:40 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
EssBrace Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Ahh, Tim Praskins. The salesman who pretends to be the purveyor of independent advice.

All the Roland PHA-IV actions will be mechanically and structurally the same. Only differences will be appearance (side of the keys to give the appearance of wood) or key surface. At the moment they use 'premium' and 'concert' nomenclature. It used to be 'standard' and 'deluxe'. It's just words. They are the same actions.

#2437841 - 07/02/15 12:56 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: EssBrace]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By EssBrace
Ahh, Tim Praskins. The salesman who pretends to be the purveyor of independent advice.

All the Roland PHA-IV actions will be mechanically and structurally the same. Only differences will be appearance (side of the keys to give the appearance of wood) or key surface. At the moment they use 'premium' and 'concert' nomenclature. It used to be 'standard' and 'deluxe'. It's just words. They are the same actions.

This may be true for the top two verions: Premium & Concert (can't remember which is supposed to be better).

However, now that ALL Roland's actions are subsumed under the PHAIV name, I'm not sure your evaluation includes the other one: PHAIV Standard. This is a redesign (and reputedly a significant improvement) of Ivory G Feel (and not PHAIII) and therefore, probably markedly different from the other two PHAIV types.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Audiophile 2496
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2437845 - 07/02/15 01:14 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
2000 Post Club Member

Yes I accept there will be a cheaper/lighter Roland action. And whatever it is they keep renaming it!

If they are using 'PHA-IV Standard' for that it could certainly be misleading. Because 'PHA-III Standard' was just like any other PHA-III except for the fact the white keys were all one colour and therefore didn't simulate the appearance of wood along the sides.

I'll put money on 'PHA-IV Premium' and 'PHA-IV Concert' being mechanically identical.

#2437854 - 07/02/15 01:30 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: EssBrace]
toddy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By EssBrace
I'll put money on 'PHA-IV Premium' and 'PHA-IV Concert' being mechanically identical.

That's what I'd have thought - somewhat similar to the HP302/305/307 some years back which had the similar-feeling PHAII or PHAIII. But I'm sure someone a little while back posted here that the HP 506 & 508 PHAIV Concert) were much better than the HP504 (PHAIV Premium*). So it goes on - we never seem quite to get to the bottom of this. smile

*seems anyway that the premium action from Roland now is 'Concert' since they put 'Premium' on the cheapest of their main HP range, thus implying that it is premium in name only.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Audiophile 2496
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2437862 - 07/02/15 01:47 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
2000 Post Club Member

Yes I suspect that the basic architecture of the top end Roland actions (and indeed Yamaha GH(3) types) have remained unchanged for a number of years now. There have been small changes in appearance and key surface and of course sensor implementation. But the main changes have been the ridiculous name changes! The PHA-IV "innovation" seems to be that it is quieter. No doubt achieved by a thicker strip of felt. How radical!

#2438013 - 07/02/15 09:11 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: Leonid]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
Originally Posted By Leonid
Difference in trim. PHA-4 Concert - white keys - two layer ivory feel construction on stable wood like basis, black keys - wooden like moisture absorbing coating. Premium - one layer ivory feel construction and just matte black keys.

Pretty accurate right there.

I don't feel any appreciable difference between the premium and concert variants as the underlying mechanics are the same.

Jay

#2438021 - 07/02/15 09:23 PM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
The measures taken to reduce the key noise on the newer PHA-4 is actually quite ingenious...

Far more than a "strip of felt"

I'm on vacation. We'll discuss this further in the future.

Jay

#2438093 - Yesterday at 04:45 AM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: Jay Roland]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Jay Roland
The measures taken to reduce the key noise on the newer PHA-4 is actually quite ingenious...

Far more than a "strip of felt"

I'm on vacation. We'll discuss this further in the future.

Jay

Intriguing!

Look forward to further detail Jay. I played the RD-800 briefly a couple of weeks ago. Action was very good indeed. I think Roland has developed the basic plastic/metal DP type action (where the hammer assembly is largely underneath the key) to the ultimate. I really think it's the best of its type.

As far as the quietness issue I'm glad they've found an engineered solution. Too much felt gives a squishy feel that I don't think is very piano-like.

#2438119 - Yesterday at 07:53 AM Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
Leonid Offline

I have tried almost all competitors, and in my opinion RD-800 keyboard(PHA-IV concert grand) is the best you can find. the only i havent tried , is MP-11 - but its too heavy instrument, wasn't interested in it.

#2438445 - 47 minutes 15 seconds ago Re: What is the difference between PHA IV Premium and Concert? [Re: nylan3]
nylan3 Online   content

Loc: Sweden
Hm, okay thanks for all the answers! I definitely look forward to more detailed information from Jay in the future!

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX-2 or Estonia 168
by gokelly
27 minutes 10 seconds ago
Internet falls in love w/ homeless man who plays piano in FL
by ShiroKuro
31 minutes 34 seconds ago
Beginner trying to self teach to recognize notes by ear
by WalkingintheAir
Today at 08:42 AM
gig to thin hammer shanks with a router
by Olek
Today at 05:30 AM
Clavinova CVP-87A Motherboard
by VentureJD
Today at 01:55 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,877 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,287 Topics
2,423,868 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission