Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, accordeur, anamnesis, AjLongsPiano, 32 invisible), 1370 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2437656 - 07/01/15 10:39 PM Do you use a lot of slash chords?
DeadPoets Online   happy

Once I've memorized a song fairly well I will only refer to the chords listed above the measure when playing (like using a Fake book).

But I run into this sort of thing all the time where...

Elton John uses a lot of octaves in left hand. So in "Your Song" the 2nd chord of the verse is listed as an Abmaj7. LH = octave Ab, RH = G, C, Eb, G
And that's accurate.

However for the sake of remembering what to play in each hand I changed this to a Cm/Ab (same notes). This way I know exactly what's being played in RH (Cm) and the LH (Ab octaves). If I don't do this I tend to get confused and start looking for the Ab somewhere in the right hand.

Anyone else do this as a way to memorize the music easier? The slash chord system.

Edited by DeadPoets (07/01/15 10:43 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2437722 - 07/02/15 05:33 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Yes it can be helpful to think of chords in this way not only to help memory but also it can help show how chords relate to each other - in your example you describe how a Cm7 chord is completely contained in an Abmaj9 chord.
Chords that seem complicated can be expressed in a simpler way - e.g. Ebmaj7 sharp 5 is the same thing as G/Eb. Also there are many chords that can be expressed using this format that have no other easy way of describing them - Eb/A for example. It can be an easy way to create new sounds.
Also in terms of voicings it can make it easy to find interesting chord extensions - try playing a C7 shell (C,E, Bb) in the LH and in the right experiment with A , D, Fsharp and Ab major triads. A lot of jazz harmonies can be found in this way.

Edited by beeboss (07/02/15 05:38 AM)

#2437745 - 07/02/15 07:18 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
DeadPoets Online   happy

Thank you for response.

#2437748 - 07/02/15 07:24 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
Nahum Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Israel
=DeadPoets , what you do is practical and correct. Every seventh chord can be presented in several forms: as itself (Cm7); as a major triad under melodic pitch (Cm under Bb); as a triad over bass (Eb / C); as compound 2 triads (Eb maj over Cm).
So, when you play with both hands the slash chords, you should watch out for voice leading of triads in the right hand.

#2437753 - 07/02/15 07:38 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
samasap Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Hi

If this system works for you then stick to it. I do invert and change chords around also to make things easier when I need too.
When teaching I always say to my students we can adapt music and always find a solution to make the music easier so they can still achieve their goals of playing their favourite music.

Have fun!

#2437755 - 07/02/15 07:39 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: Nahum]
DeadPoets Online   happy

Originally Posted By Nahum
=DeadPoets , what you do is practical and correct. Every seventh chord can be presented in several forms: as itself (Cm7); as a major triad under melodic pitch (Cm under Bb); as a triad over bass (Eb / C); as compound 2 triads (Eb maj over Cm).
So, when you play with both hands the slash chords, you should watch out for voice leading of triads in the right hand.

Yes. Thanks.

Edited by DeadPoets (07/02/15 07:41 AM)

#2437769 - 07/02/15 09:17 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Mark Levine's The Jazz Piano Book has a chapter on what he calls "upper structure chords" which is pretty much what you're describing. The only thing is he uses it primarily for adding 9ths, 11ths and 13ths and altered notes to chords, rather than, in your example, using it for a standard seventh chord.

I use the Levine upper structure chords ALL the time. My most common one is when you need to play an altered dominant chord where you need to sharp the 3rd and the 5th. It's hard for me to remember how to voice that in all 12 keys. But if you play the 3rd and seventh in the left hand, and play a triad a minor 6th up from the root in the right hand, you've got it. May sound complicated, but if you want to play C altered, you play E and Bb in the left and Ab major trial in the right. At least for me, that's much easier.

#2437781 - 07/02/15 09:46 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
Nahum Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Israel
In Berklee taught this: take for example the first chord in "Tenderly" - Eb maj7, in the melody D. http://www.guitarcats.com/realbook-jazz-standards/tenderly

Eb maj7 it actually Gm / Eb; we remove the triad Gm and put in place any one of the three majeure triads, containing melodic sound D - D maj or G maj, or Bb maj. This works when melody does not doubles the bass note.

#2437788 - 07/02/15 10:03 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: Nahum]
DeadPoets Online   happy

Originally Posted By Nahum
In Berklee taught this: take for example the first chord in "Tenderly" - Eb maj7, in the melody D. http://www.guitarcats.com/realbook-jazz-standards/tenderly

Eb maj7 it actually Gm / Eb; we remove the triad Gm and put in place any one of the three majeure triads, containing melodic sound D - D maj or G maj, or Bb maj. This works when melody does not doubles the bass note.

Very cool. Opens up a door to lots of options and experimentation.

#2437879 - 07/02/15 02:11 PM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
I get a lot of stuff from chordie.com. It's mostly guitar centric, so most of the time I have to start with what they offer, then tweak it to my preference. I use slash chords where they are suggested/indicated in some songs. It's a handy device to add texture to a song. I'd compare it to a passing chord. Or maybe it is a type of passing chord itself? So if I were composing something, I would think of incorporating them.
The mention of E.J.'s Your Song; That was my introduction to slash chords too.

#2441595 - 07/15/15 12:11 PM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: samasap]
mc9320 Offline

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By samasap
Hi

If this system works for you then stick to it. I do invert and change chords around also to make things easier when I need too.
When teaching I always say to my students we can adapt music and always find a solution to make the music easier so they can still achieve their goals of playing their favourite music.

Have fun!

^^
This.

If you've found a way which works for you e.g. thinking of Abmaj7 as Cm/Ab that's ok, but I would practice playing different inversions and voicings, so you can smoothly change between chords.

e.g. Abmaj7 LH = octave Ab, RH = C, Eb, G, C
LH = Ab and Eb, RH = G, C, Eb, G
LH = Ab and middle C, RH = Eb, G, C

When you get a little more comfortable with seventh chords, I would advise starting to learn them in their normal state e.g. Abmaj7 = Ab, C, Eb, G. Purely because most music will use this sort of notation, and eventually you will find it quicker to play a lead sheet this way.

This is even more important if you play in a group, or need to sight read a piece of music.

#2441609 - 07/15/15 12:59 PM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
DeadPoets Online   happy

Thanks

#2441916 - 07/16/15 03:49 PM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: mc9320]
DeadPoets Online   happy

Originally Posted By mc9320
Originally Posted By samasap
Hi

Have fun!

^^
This.

If you've found a way which works for you e.g. thinking of Abmaj7 as Cm/Ab that's ok, but I would practice playing different inversions and voicings, so you can smoothly change between chords.

e.g. Abmaj7 LH = octave Ab, RH = C, Eb, G, C
LH = Ab and Eb, RH = G, C, Eb, G
LH = Ab and middle C, RH = Eb, G, C

When you get a little more comfortable with seventh chords, I would advise starting to learn them in their normal state e.g. Abmaj7 = Ab, C, Eb, G. Purely because most music will use this sort of notation, and eventually you will find it quicker to play a lead sheet this way.

This is even more important if you play in a group, or need to sight read a piece of music.

Looks like the same can be done with 9th chords

So with 7th chords I could play the root octave in LH and take the 3rd (Em) and play it in any inversion in RH. Such as you mentioned above.

E.g. Cmaj7 LH = C-C RH = E-G-B

Same with maj9th chords but instead of 3rd in RH take the 5th.
C9 LH = C-C RH = G-B-D

Or 9ths (use minor chord of 5th scale degree)
E.g. LH = C RH = G-Bb-D

Edited by DeadPoets (07/16/15 04:52 PM)

#2442363 - 07/18/15 05:24 AM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
beeboss Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By DeadPoets

Looks like the same can be done with 9th chords

So with 7th chords I could play the root octave in LH and take the 3rd (Em) and play it in any inversion in RH. Such as you mentioned above.

Yes
C9 contains a Gm triad and a Em7b5 chord
Cmaj9 contains a Gmaj triad an Em triad and a Em7 chord
Cm9 contains an Ebmaj triad a Gm triad and an Ebmaj7 chord
Cm9b5 contains a Gb+ triad a Ebm triad and a Ebm (maj7) chord
etc

#2447246 - Today at 05:44 PM Re: Do you use a lot of slash chords? [Re: DeadPoets]
massave Offline

I guess it all depends whether one hears the root first or the upper structure triad first. Ebmaj7#5 could be heard as G/Eb by a lot of people for example. Lots of different people hear the right hand first while others hear the left hand first.

For the Elton John chord I would hear the Ab first as I feel like I need to hear all the notes of a chord at once. If I saw Cm/Ab, I might think "C root" first by accident or mix up the two sides of the slash chord.

Of course, if you're showing your written music to other people, you should write the root (Ebmaj7#5 for example).

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nomenclature
by DavidWB
49 minutes 20 seconds ago
I had a dream last night......
by Stubbie
Today at 06:42 PM
I need metronome reccomendation for a peculiar need
by raubucho
Today at 06:07 PM
New Roland Pianos Announced
by pmh
Today at 04:56 PM
Poor sounding output with Ravenscroft 275 software.
by Osiris
Today at 03:11 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,242 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,965 Topics
2,432,676 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission