Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
57 registered (Al LaPorte, AndrewJCW, augustm, Albunea, ando, 13 invisible), 983 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2438243 - 07/03/15 03:00 PM Technichian or Virtual Technician
Solon Online   content

Loc: at the piano
I read this recent post which is related to what I have been thinking of.
My current piano is a fine C.Bechstein upright but it has a quite sharp tone so I always use ear props that are supposed to lower the volume by 25 dB equally over the whole tone spectrum. I am very tired of using these.
Alas I have constant tinnitus and do not want more, so I have to use them.
I haven´t had the hammers sanded and voiced for a number of years. Sanding and voicing would of course make the tone more soft, but would that be enough? Or would it make the tone quality too muffled? Impossible to answer, I know.

An alternative I therefore am considering is the Kawai CA97. It has not yet arrived to the local dealer so I haven´t had the opportunity to try it, but I have tried it´s predecessor.
It was the best DP I had played until then, with regard to touch and sound, with exception maybe for Yamaha AvantGrand, which is too expensive.
I got a little worried when I read the above referred post regarding CA97 and tinnitus. But the CA97 has the Virtual Technician and other settings which I can experiment with myself.
If I let a piano technician work on the hammers and find out a week later that more has to be done, I can not recall him by pressing a button. And I have to pay him, as opposed to the Virtual Technincian which works free of charge. But buying the CA97 would of course cost more than letting a piano technician work on the hammers.
Wise or unwise thoughts or experiences of this little predicament would be appreciated.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2438246 - 07/03/15 03:23 PM Re: Technichian or Virtual Technician [Re: Solon]
Hendrik42 Offline

Loc: Germany
There are days where I or a family member just turns down the volume of our CN35. We usually run it at a volume of an acoustic, but not every day.

I had a discussion with a family member who has an acoustic upright. He loved the DP. After a while of playing he was wondering if the lower notes were not overbearing, then reminded himself that comparing the sound of a grand piano to a upright would make him say the same. In any case, with the Virtual Technician he'd be able to tune that to his liking.

I'd say: go and test the CA97 and CA67. See if you like their sound and action. See if you need the soundboard of the CA97. You'll probably be allowed to bring your iPad with VT and play with the settings if you pick the right time of day.

#2438251 - 07/03/15 03:34 PM Re: Technichian or Virtual Technician [Re: Solon]
Bosendorff Offline

First thing you need to make sure is if you like the sound of the CA97 DP. Even the best DP will never sound like an acoustic, but of course there are advantages like free of maintenance and adjustable volume. Compared to the "Virtual Technician" (or whatever that means), on my Kurzweil PC2X you can edit hundreds of parameters - but it will always remain a DP.

Bechstein pianos are often powerful. Yours probably needs voicing to soften the hammers and get more mellow sound. It's also possible to regulate an action to reduce power/volume (things like shorter blow distance, etc.) and this is of course revertible if you don't like it.

#2438315 - 07/03/15 07:41 PM Re: Technichian or Virtual Technician [Re: Solon]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
With the post regarding the CA97 and tinnitus, I believe the problem can either be resolved with moving the piano and/or working more with the Virtual Technician (and there also may have been an issue with one of the speakers, if I recall).

At any rate, definitely test it out when it comes. You may want to avoid using headphones because of your existing tinnitus, but then again, it may not present a problem for you.

As far as the Bechstein, it really all depends on what is going on with it, how old the hammers are, if they were previously treated with a hardening agent (they used to do that with the thought it would make them last, but instead just made the sound harsh). Doing work on acoustics can get costly, and since it's not a grand piano, it may not be worth it for you.

#2438978 - 39 minutes 14 seconds ago Re: Technichian or Virtual Technician [Re: Solon]
Solon Online   content

Loc: at the piano
Just wanted to thank you for your input.

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano bench upgrade advice
by Dave Androos
07/06/15 04:53 AM
Original Wedgewood Blue Kawai Grand Piano?
by look_alive
07/06/15 12:32 AM
New Grand Piano Sample in Nord Piano Library
by PianoZac
07/05/15 11:03 PM
Professional translation into German about cardboard shim
by Maximillyan
07/05/15 10:45 PM
I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
07/05/15 10:34 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,888 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,331 Topics
2,424,402 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission