2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
nylan3 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi! What is the difference between the "Roland PHA IV Premium action" (can be found in HP504) and the "Roland PHA IV Concert action (HP506)"?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
That still is a big question.
Tell us if you have found out for sure.

There is a thread discussing this topic somewhere. Cant find it right now.

L
L
Difference in trim. PHA-4 Concert - white keys - two layer ivory feel construction on stable wood like basis, black keys - wooden like moisture absorbing coating. Premium - one layer ivory feel construction and just matte black keys.

J
J
This guy seems to think that there is a difference between the two, beyond the trim, that is noticeable:

The best key action, which is in the HP506 & HP508, is called Concert Keyboard (an appropriate name actually). The key action in the HP504 is called Premium Keyboard. The difference between the two is that the Concert Keyboard in the HP506 & HP508 feels even more like a grand piano to me and the Premium Keyboard action in the HP504 (below left pic) is just slightly less like a grand piano compared to the Concert Key Action, but still very enjoyable to play and much better than most other brands in its price range.

No idea if he is right though; I could only find examples of the Concert when I was in the market recently.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Ahh, Tim Praskins. The salesman who pretends to be the purveyor of independent advice.

All the Roland PHA-IV actions will be mechanically and structurally the same. Only differences will be appearance (side of the keys to give the appearance of wood) or key surface. At the moment they use 'premium' and 'concert' nomenclature. It used to be 'standard' and 'deluxe'. It's just words. They are the same actions.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Ahh, Tim Praskins. The salesman who pretends to be the purveyor of independent advice.

All the Roland PHA-IV actions will be mechanically and structurally the same. Only differences will be appearance (side of the keys to give the appearance of wood) or key surface. At the moment they use 'premium' and 'concert' nomenclature. It used to be 'standard' and 'deluxe'. It's just words. They are the same actions.

This may be true for the top two verions: Premium & Concert (can't remember which is supposed to be better).

However, now that ALL Roland's actions are subsumed under the PHAIV name, I'm not sure your evaluation includes the other one: PHAIV Standard. This is a redesign (and reputedly a significant improvement) of Ivory G Feel (and not PHAIII) and therefore, probably markedly different from the other two PHAIV types.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes I accept there will be a cheaper/lighter Roland action. And whatever it is they keep renaming it!

If they are using 'PHA-IV Standard' for that it could certainly be misleading. Because 'PHA-III Standard' was just like any other PHA-III except for the fact the white keys were all one colour and therefore didn't simulate the appearance of wood along the sides.

I'll put money on 'PHA-IV Premium' and 'PHA-IV Concert' being mechanically identical.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I'll put money on 'PHA-IV Premium' and 'PHA-IV Concert' being mechanically identical.

That's what I'd have thought - somewhat similar to the HP302/305/307 some years back which had the similar-feeling PHAII or PHAIII. But I'm sure someone a little while back posted here that the HP 506 & 508 PHAIV Concert) were much better than the HP504 (PHAIV Premium*). So it goes on - we never seem quite to get to the bottom of this. smile

*seems anyway that the premium action from Roland now is 'Concert' since they put 'Premium' on the cheapest of their main HP range, thus implying that it is premium in name only.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes I suspect that the basic architecture of the top end Roland actions (and indeed Yamaha GH(3) types) have remained unchanged for a number of years now. There have been small changes in appearance and key surface and of course sensor implementation. But the main changes have been the ridiculous name changes! The PHA-IV "innovation" seems to be that it is quieter. No doubt achieved by a thicker strip of felt. How radical!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Leonid
Difference in trim. PHA-4 Concert - white keys - two layer ivory feel construction on stable wood like basis, black keys - wooden like moisture absorbing coating. Premium - one layer ivory feel construction and just matte black keys.

Pretty accurate right there.

I don't feel any appreciable difference between the premium and concert variants as the underlying mechanics are the same.

Jay

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The measures taken to reduce the key noise on the newer PHA-4 is actually quite ingenious...

Far more than a "strip of felt"

I'm on vacation. We'll discuss this further in the future.

Jay

Industry Consultant
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
The measures taken to reduce the key noise on the newer PHA-4 is actually quite ingenious...

Far more than a "strip of felt"

I'm on vacation. We'll discuss this further in the future.

Jay

Intriguing!

Look forward to further detail Jay. I played the RD-800 briefly a couple of weeks ago. Action was very good indeed. I think Roland has developed the basic plastic/metal DP type action (where the hammer assembly is largely underneath the key) to the ultimate. I really think it's the best of its type.

As far as the quietness issue I'm glad they've found an engineered solution. Too much felt gives a squishy feel that I don't think is very piano-like.

L
L
I have tried almost all competitors, and in my opinion RD-800 keyboard(PHA-IV concert grand) is the best you can find. the only i havent tried , is MP-11 - but its too heavy instrument, wasn't interested in it.

N
nylan3 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hm, okay thanks for all the answers! I definitely look forward to more detailed information from Jay in the future!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission