Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (ando, Albunea, Alsenkiat, AndrewJCW, angga888, 12 invisible), 954 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2438633 - 07/05/15 03:20 AM Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative
guguma Online   blank

Hello All,

Unfortunately I had to sell my Kawaii CA-65, I already move a lot and I am transitioning to a period where I will be moving more often and the CA-65 was not very friendly in that regard.

I need a portable alternative, maximum price around $2000, but I would prefer less. The problem is that I really loved the CA-65, it was great and I do not know if any sort of portable piano would come near the quality of it.

I thought about the VPC-1, however the fact that it lacks its own samples scares me a little. Synthogy, pianotech are nice but I was using them on Windows (ASIO4ALL) and they can act weird sometimes, also some latency, I wonder what would happen if I use VPC-1 with Ivory II on a macbook (8G ram with ssd).

What would my other options be, other than the VPC? I had a Roland HP-201 before and played on some Yamahas but the Kawaii action works for me and I am inclined for a Kawaii.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2438636 - 07/05/15 03:33 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
A quality stage DP is likely to meet your requirements. Do you want inbuilt speakers? Staying with Kawai the MP7 or MP11 seem like good matches, and the ES100 is thought of highly here. The Roland RD800 or FP80 and the Yamaha P255 would be worth looking at too. I'm not sure how happy you would be with a Casio but they are very playable and represent good value for money. But, speakers or no tbd and budget should include a stand.

#2438685 - 07/05/15 09:17 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
The MP11 is about $800 over your budget, but coming from the CA65, you will love it. You will need external speakers and/or headphones, but it has the same action and sounds as your CA65, and it's portable enough to make it work. Be sure to get a bag with wheels for this when you move, it helps a lot.

Try the MP7 as it's more in your price range, but be prepared for a different action.

The VPC-1 is really looking like a great idea for you. I used one on a Macbook with True Key American and literally it took me seconds to get it working, no latency, so flakiness. If you must use PC, however, at the end of July MS is giving away a free upgrade to their new OS (Windows 10) which promises to be much better than its predecessors. No idea if any upgrades will be made to sound. So if you have the Macbook, that will be plenty.

The only reason I didn't keep the VPC-1 was because I was teaching on it and I needed my laptop to make student assignments, but it was occupied being used for the sound, which made for an awkward sitting arrangement. This of course wouldn't be an issue for most people. The action feels great though slightly different than the CA65.

Comparable offerings from Roland would be the RD 800, but that's $500 over budget, and the Yamaha CP4, but that's $300 over budget. And at least with the Yamaha, I think you will not be happy with the action coming from the CA65.

Keep in mind that with any of these stage pianos, you will need a set of monitors. You can get by with inexpensive computer speakers if you have to until you can save up, but getting a good set really makes a difference. You will also need a bench and a stand, so you may need some wiggle room in your $2k budget to allow for that.

#2438687 - 07/05/15 09:20 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
The Kawai ES7 is worth looking at if you're really fond of the kawai sound. You may find that it most meets your needs. It can be had for $2000, and a lot of online vendors will offer a discount if you ask (and many run sales periodically) so you could probably get it for around $1800. You might be able to find it used for even cheaper.

The ES100 might also meet your needs and it's significantly less expensive. it might be a viable option.

#2438709 - 07/05/15 10:37 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

Coming from the CA-65, assuming you enjoyed the instrument...
+1 +1 for the MP11 or ES7. ES7 with the edge though for weight, built in amp and speakers and price.

#2438886 - 07/05/15 10:06 PM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Yes, good advice offered so far.

The MP11 will provide the closest comparison to the CA65, as it shares the same keyboard action and sampling technology, while offering greater flexibility in terms of adjusting the sound.

The MP7 and ES7 are also worthy alternatives, with the MP7 offering the superior sound and stage piano flexibility, and ES7 offering built-in speakers.

The ES100 is a very nice DP for the money, but I don't believe it can deliver the CA65's playing experience.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2438913 - 07/05/15 11:06 PM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
guguma Online   blank

Thank You all for the input,

I will go to the gallery tomorrow, they have all Kawai digitals there. I had tried the RF 3 action along with GF back when I bought the CA65, I liked both (in fact RF felt a little heavier which I might prefer).

If they offer me a great deal with MP11 I will probably go with that, otherwise VPC is the financially more viable option. I have good headphones, my teacher will spare me a nice bench and a stand (really good guy).

I really wished that Kawai at least offered a Library bundle with the VPC-1 now if I get the VPC-1 I will probably need to get ivory II and also buy and wait for that silly ilok thing. I have ivory 1 and clueless about how to import them to a mac.

I will update tomorrow.

#2439018 - 07/06/15 09:44 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By guguma

I really wished that Kawai at least offered a Library bundle with the VPC-1 now if I get the VPC-1 I will probably need to get ivory II and also buy and wait for that silly ilok thing. I have ivory 1 and clueless about how to import them to a mac.

I will update tomorrow.

If Ivory I is a PC version, then it's a bit tricky to get that working on a Mac OS. You can buy programs that can run PC software on Macs (I use Parallels, but there are others out there). These do require you to have a legal working version of a Windows OS that you can install once you install the emulation software. So it can get costly, and I think you will most likely encounter latency issues going this route.

You may be better off buying new software intended for Macs.

#2439173 - 07/06/15 07:11 PM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: guguma]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
It may also be worthwhile contacting Synthogy to ask if you can transfer the licence from your PC version of Ivory to the Mac version.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2439353 - Yesterday at 10:10 AM Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: Kawai James]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Kawai James
It may also be worthwhile contacting Synthogy to ask if you can transfer the licence from your PC version of Ivory to the Mac version.

Kind regards,
James
x

+1

Check the support site, since with ivory 2 I own you don't buy for specific platform/OS, you pay for a licence and you get installers for both Mac and windows.

I doubt ivory 1 is different. You shouldn't have to buy the whole thing again, may be an ilok will be needed, and with an existing licence key for ivory 1 you should only have to pay for the Ivory 1 to 2 upgrade, not the whole thing, substantially less cost.

Regarding bundles, they do exist, not sure where you are based but in Europe thomann do bundles for the VPC1 with ivory/ilock included

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_vpc1_bundle_2.htm

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 10:10 AM)
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq, The Giant, Cubase 7 elements.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2439573 - 56 minutes 8 seconds ago Re: Sold my CA-65 Need Portable Alternative [Re: Alexander Borro]
guguma Online   blank

Originally Posted By Alexander Borro

Regarding bundles, they do exist, not sure where you are based but in Europe thomann do bundles for the VPC1 with ivory/ilock included

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kawai_vpc1_bundle_2.htm

What can I say, makes me proud of being European, but inaccessible for me at the moment.

So, I ended up buying the VPC-1, managed to set it up today, I could not try it at the dealer but I had tried the RF 3 Grand action before compared to MP-11 it suited my wallet much better.

I am ok with the heavier action, I need to get my fingers stronger anyway.

However, with regards to virtual pianos, I am terribly disappointed (possibly momentarily). I ran Ivory 1 on my pc today after a long time from middle c onwards (higher pitches) it sounds great, however lower registers sound dull and lacking color. When I called my brother he told me it might be because of the on board audio card on my laptop, suggested me to buy a usb audio interface.

Do you think this is the case, It might be possible since I remember Ivory having a much better sound, but I was using a desktop then. I have Sennheiser HD 598 headphones.

If that is the case would something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo cut it for me?

I contacted Synthogy, they told me I can upgrade to Ivory 2 at a decent price and run it on both pc/mac, I will probably go with it after I resolve this issue. Another question about that, do you think it would be worth upgrading? Ivory 1 already sounds satisfactory, what does ivory 2 bring to the table?

Best

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 3 pedal pin out?
by Edtek
07/07/15 11:10 PM
Glides and Lubricants
by sonnichs
07/07/15 10:38 PM
Need Advice on Steinway and Sons Upright Piano
by Gau Bya
07/07/15 09:25 PM
pin rust
by cordoba
07/07/15 08:12 PM
Necessary to replace a pinblock simply due to age?
by machineintel
07/07/15 07:14 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,910 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,371 Topics
2,424,984 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission