Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
90 registered (Albunea, anotherscott, anamnesis, AndrewJCW, ando, 36251, 21 invisible), 1153 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2438897 - Yesterday at 10:34 PM I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I have just returned from two weeks of work at the Kingsburg Piano factory in Yantai China. I went with a long time technician friend of mine, Ira Langlois who imports pianos from them made to his specifications. Our goal was to teach the tuners/regulators/voicers how to put a piano in fine playing order.

The factory is a very organized place but the organization of the musical characteristics is almost completely missing. I don't think anyone at the factory is capable of getting a piano to a performance level. This is not because of a lack of will power or talent. It is because there has been no one to teach it to them.

There are many positives there. They make their own upright action and the precision is very good. Their soundboards have a great "drum tone" when you strike them with the side of your fist.

The workers in the factory are about evenly split in gender. There are no children employed. They all eat a company provided lunch together, and then take a short nap. The atmosphere feels much like a big family.

The people we worked with were starved for the proper techniques to tune, regulate and voice a piano. They gave us rapt attention and great respect and deference.

The engineering staff was much more sophisticated than I had expected. But they too seem to lack the skill to do fine piano technology work. The "Great Firewall" of China seems to limit their ability to study material on the web that we take for granted.

The managers did all they could to make our trip a success and to entertain us. They provided an excellent translator who did an admirable job relating the technical language. I did find it useful to use my voice to vocalize good and bad sounds. I repeatedly explained how the tone should emulate a trained opera singer.

I explained how Steinway organizes tone regulation and they were unaware of the protocols. The quality control measures used have almost no relation to how a pianist actually uses the piano. They seem to have been established with the mindset that if they just get "these" measurements correct, that eliminates the need to explain things deeper. I suspect the previous technical trainers tried to avoid theoretical exposition so as to retain some authority.

I do hope we planted some seeds that will take root and let the factory become organized around the production of instruments capable of expressing highly organized musical sound.

I have heard it said many times in the piano industry that the "tone" asian origin pianos make is rooted in their native musical canon. I am not so sure this is true. Else why would they embrace a western instrument at all?

Edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT (Yesterday at 10:51 PM)

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2438900 - Yesterday at 10:43 PM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures to post?

I noticed you were silent for a while (but a lot of folks are lately).

Anyway, I'm glad you had a productive trip. Love to hear more about it.

#2438902 - Yesterday at 10:44 PM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Markarian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle Area
The more I hear, the more excited I get about China's piano industry. The proof is in the playing, and the few examples I've played I've just loved. I'm glad there is a pan-Pacific sharing of knowledge and I hope you get to do more visits like this!

#2438908 - Yesterday at 10:59 PM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Retsacnal,
I very seldom take pictures, sorry.

Markarian,
I was very, very relieved to get back home to the pianos I love playing. I find most pianos unattractive until all the elements are properly established. The saving grace of the detail I go into in pianos is the long term stability of performance. Compared to others, my pianos are almost indestructible from playing. And the feel is so graceful and intuitive. And the tone is rich and dynamic. And the tone is so even across the entire compass.

#2438919 - Yesterday at 11:16 PM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

Loc: Northern Virgina
Perhaps you'll be remembered as the W. Edwards Deming of the piano industry! wink

#2438920 - Yesterday at 11:18 PM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Originally Posted By Ed McMorrow, RPT
Retsacnal,
I very seldom take pictures, sorry.

Markarian,
I was very, very relieved to get back home to the pianos I love playing. I find most pianos unattractive until all the elements are properly established. The saving grace of the detail I go into in pianos is the long term stability of performance. Compared to others, my pianos are almost indestructible from playing. And the feel is so graceful and intuitive. And the tone is rich and dynamic. And the tone is so even across the entire compass.

Thank you so much for sharing, Ed. This is exciting news for the future of the piano industry. What can you comment on in terms of the materials they are using to build their pianos? Please share pictures and more!

Edited by Grandman (Yesterday at 11:21 PM)

#2438947 - Today at 01:00 AM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Thanks for sharing about the experience.

#2438961 - Today at 03:52 AM Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Markarian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle Area
Ed, was it crazy muggy in China, and do you have A/C in your shop? I'm trying to imagine tackling a rebuild in this weather and it makes me want to shrivel up and estivate like a squishy toad.

#2438997 - 41 minutes 4 seconds ago Re: I went to teach at a Chinese piano factory [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Bravo Ed,

This may be the single most important part of the presentation of a piano. It really only costs a few pennies more to set it up in the best way during manufacturing and this can make all the difference. It should improve the instrument without adding much cost to the final product.

There are dealers who simply won't consider carrying an instrument that does not appeal to them on first playing. Customers won't consider it either.

Interestingly, I posted a video here a few years back that included photos of our factory manager teaching staff at Hailun. Some members couldn't understand that a rebuilder had something to teach a manufacturer. They did not understand the dynamics of how piano manufacturing in China began and how it has evolved in its short history.

I am not at all familiar with the Kingsburg product. I hope your visit bears fruit for them.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rattly key on my casio
by LarryShone
07/06/15 08:03 AM
Piano bench upgrade advice
by Dave Androos
07/06/15 04:53 AM
Original Wedgewood Blue Kawai Grand Piano?
by look_alive
07/06/15 12:32 AM
New Grand Piano Sample in Nord Piano Library
by PianoZac
07/05/15 11:03 PM
Professional translation into German about cardboard shim
by Maximillyan
07/05/15 10:45 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,888 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,333 Topics
2,424,416 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission