2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 56 of 60 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
"An upcoming Russian film, Tchaikovsky,[108] has attracted controversy due to the fact that Tchaikovsky's sexuality, mentioned in early drafts, has been written out of the film in order to secure funding from the Russian government."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Ilyich_Tchaikovsky#Sexuality

Really? I couldn't believe my eyes :-)

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
From the competition rules:

Finalists and their accompanists will be required to participate free of charge in the closing ceremonies and concerts on July 2, 2015 in Moscow, and July 3, 2015 in St. Petersburg.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Hakki
From the competition rules:

Finalists and their accompanists will be required to participate free of charge in the closing ceremonies and concerts on July 2, 2015 in Moscow, and July 3, 2015 in St. Petersburg.
Obviously that doesn't mean they will have to participate since one didn't. Maybe he was ill so those in charge didn't ask him? One of many possible reasons.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/05/15 03:10 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Kharitonov looked very tired, dark around the eyes, in the backstage closeups just prior to or after (don't remember which) the final round, like he'd lost sleep. But that would be speculation.

This is a sensational, non-competition performance of his, earlier in the year. I don't think we should worry about his career.

http://youtu.be/DdHzwtPDZn8

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Kharitonov looked very tired, dark around the eyes, in the backstage closeups just prior to or after (don't remember which) the final round, like he'd lost sleep. But that would be speculation.

Maybe someone who can read Russian can shed some light from the local newspapers, web sites etc. about his not appearing in the winners concerts.

I wanted to add a link to the automated (but therefore somewhat primitive) Google translation of the Russian site with the brief interview of Gergiev about Masleev, Geniusas, Li, and Verbier, etc.

http://bit.ly/tch15-engstrom-en

Last edited by Andrys; 07/05/15 09:35 PM.

- Andrys, hobbyist, intermediate level
Hobbyist mp3 site
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I only listened to Debargue's Medtner and Gaspard, but they were great! He has a very precise, refined touch.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Andrys
I wanted to add a link to the automated (but therefore somewhat primitive) Google translation of the Russian site with the brief interview of Gergiev about Masleev, Geniusas, Li, and Verbier, etc.

http://bit.ly/tch15-engstrom-en

o

You mean Engtrom not Gergiev.
Again no words for Kharitonov.
He is excommumicated.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Hakki
Again no words for Kharitonov.He is excommumicated.
So silly how you try to make everything fit your theory of what happened. Did you see that only the first prize winner and the two who tied for first were mentioned? Does that mean the other three were excommunicated? Utter speculation on your part with nothing to back it up.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Peter Donohoe has written an extensive post on the whole matter, which is most relevant for the discussion here. Do read it.

http://slippedisc.com/2015/07/tchaikovsky-backlash-a-judge-explains/

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
One quote seems particularly relevant, due to conspiracy theories and completely unfounded speculation by some members here:

Finally, does anyone really think that someone representing the political view held by the Russian government got together with the jury and procured an agreement to fix the result in favour of a Russian – either on the basis of the 175th anniversary of Tchaikovsky’s birth, or – even more fantastically – on the basis of keeping up the Russian end in the face of opposition to Russian actions in Ukraine? For God’s sake get real. What would we – the jury members – get out of it?
Some berk in these pages even implied that Valery Gergiev offered us engagements as soloist with one of his orchestras if we acceded to his pressure – presumably directly via him from the Russian President – to fix it for a Russian winner. Give me a break. I know for a certain fact that Gergiev openly stated that he didn’t care at all what nationality the winners were – only that they were deemed the best by the juries. The whole piano jury, as far as I could ascertain, felt exactly the same, and neither Maestro Gergiev, nor the competition management – nor indeed, Vladimir Putin – applied even the remotest suggestion of any pressure.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by fnork
One quote seems particularly relevant, due to conspiracy theories and completely unfounded speculation by some members here:

... openly stated that he didn’t care at all what nationality the winners were ...

Only that depends on who's in the audience, even the name of the nationality can be subject to change (e.g., 'Taiwan' v.s. 'China Taipei' :-)!

But I am not implying this affects the judging in any way!

Last edited by newport; 07/07/15 11:48 AM.
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
After all these years Donohoe still thinks he should have won.
What a pain?

If I were there, I would have walked out, the moment Gergiev walked in.

Anything else he says is just too much bla bla.

D
D
Originally Posted by newport
[
Only that depends on who's in the audience, even the name of the nationality can be subject to change (e.g., 'Taiwan' v.s. 'China Taipei' :-)!

I noticed that too because I was following Mr Tseng's performances. (Silver medalist in Violin.)

In Round 1, he was announced as from 'China'.
In Round 2, he was announced as from 'Taiwan'.
In Round 3, he was announced as from 'Chinese Taipei'.

[Conflict of interest: None. I am neither a Taiwanese nor a citizen of The Republic of China.]

Last edited by da96103; 07/07/15 12:20 PM.
D
D
Originally Posted by fnork
Peter Donohoe has written an extensive post on the whole matter, which is most relevant for the discussion here. Do read it.

Thanks fnork. Very informative article. I love it that both Berezovsky and Donohoe are passionate about their jury duties. Music performance is an individual thing. Evaluation of a music performance is also a very individual thing.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

How interesting. Everybody should have come in second?

I thought the rules were that they had to award a gold--which, in general, I think all competitions should do, and let the chippy chips and careers fall where they may. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
B
With the excitement of the competition over, do people here who've watched/listened to most, or all of the earlier rounds have any recommendations for individual performances that are exceptional? (Especially if they know which ones Donohoe was thinking of in his blog wink ).

I don't feel inclined to hear every performance of every performer (- so far, all I've heard are the finals, and some of the earlier rounds of the finalists), but would like a good representative sample of the best of the best (as Tom Cruise would say in Top Gun) thumb.

Perhaps you can also comment on why you think your chosen performances stand out.

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
With the excitement of the competition over, do people here who've watched/listened to most, or all of the earlier rounds have any recommendations for individual performances that are exceptional? (Especially if they know which ones Donohoe was thinking of in his blog wink ).

I don't feel inclined to hear every performance of every performer (- so far, all I've heard are the finals, and some of the earlier rounds of the finalists), but would like a good representative sample of the best of the best (as Tom Cruise would say in Top Gun) thumb.

Perhaps you can also comment on why you think your chosen performances stand out.

i hope to make my way thru many of the performances over time, since they're up on the medici.tv site, but of the performances i've sampled, george li delivers the goods -- brilliant, precise, refined, expressivo...

http://tch15.medici.tv/en/performance/round-round-2-piano-2015-06-24-2030000300-great-ha

http://tch15.medici.tv/en/performance/round-round-3-piano-2015-06-28-1945000300-great-ha

B
B
Originally Posted by Entheo

i hope to make my way thru many of the performances over time, since they're up on the medici.tv site, but of the performances i've sampled, george li delivers the goods -- brilliant, precise, refined, expressivo...

Thanks.

I heard his Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody, and thought it was a pity he didn't include something like Barber's Sonata in round 2, instead of that Chopin confection. I felt he'd have scored very highly with it, as well as making a statement that American composers can compose virtuosic stuff to rival the best Russians. Most (All?) of the other non-Russians played a major work from their home country, some of them very unfamiliar (like the Griffes Sonata and the Bacewicz Sonata No.2).

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Who played Bacewicz 2nd sonata..?

Page 56 of 60 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission