2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
And it's a Shigeru Kawai SK7 sample. It sounds terrific. grin I always hoped they would do a Shigeru Kawai sample. Such diversity in piano samples and now part of owning a Nord Piano/Stage/Electro, you have access to Steinway D samples, Yamaha C7 and S4 samples, a Fazioli sample, a Bosendorfer sample, and now a Shigeru Kawai sample all under one hood! Never mind the other piano brands like Petrof, Schimmel, etc in the Upright Piano section. Kudos to Nord for continuously offering new sounds and samples.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-piano-library/grand-pianos/silver-grand

Last edited by PianoZac; 07/05/15 11:08 PM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's a thread on this one already. Other new samples too recently, like a DX and some other stuff, ya?

Previous Thread

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I hate to say it, but I have pretty much zero interest in Nord until they cease butchering their sample sets. <Checks latest Nord specs - 1GB for APs - gotta be dreaming.> <Checks calendar to confirm that the year is actually 2015.> <Checks online to confirm actual existence of reasonably priced flash memory.> <Checks dream state via pinch test - don't believe it.>

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dewster
I hate to say it, but I have pretty much zero interest in Nord until they cease butchering their sample sets. <Checks latest Nord specs - 1GB for APs - gotta be dreaming.> <Checks calendar to confirm that the year is actually 2015.> <Checks online to confirm actual existence of reasonably priced flash memory.> <Checks dream state via pinch test - don't believe it.>

Oh Dewster...I agree about the rubbish old Nord. But how about this for state of the art (goes from very good to truly inspiring at 2:15):

https://youtu.be/w9r3ib0GHJU

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Oh Dewster...I agree about the rubbish old Nord. But how about this for state of the art (goes from very good to truly inspiring at 2:15):

Garage band sounds better.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
But how about this for state of the art (goes from very good to truly inspiring at 2:15):

Thanks, now my ears are bleeding!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
But how about this for state of the art (goes from very good to truly inspiring at 2:15):

Thanks, now my ears are bleeding!

At least it's an honest demo from the manufacturer. I'm thinking there's even a chance this one would sound better than the demo in real life, unlike some of the processed and compressed Youtube demos from the big names.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Farley
At least it's an honest demo from the manufacturer.

We're giving out awards now for not even attempting to polish a POS? I'm probably not prepared for how far down this goes.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well I can't really say when I sit down at a CP4, RD-800 or any of the many high end boards available on the market right now that I'm not really back in 2005. None of the 'flagship' DPs including my AvantGrand sound appreciably better and play better (except the AvantGrand) from an action/feel point than my Yamaha P-80 I learned to play piano on. There hasn't been a major step forward overall IMHO. I can at least appreciate a certain diversity in the Nord sound, even if it's expensive and low tech.

I often wonder though, what would the big manufacturers like Roland, Yamaha, and Kawai charge for their DPs with the same RAM and same flexibility that Nord does? Obviously there's a strong market for live players judging by the emphasis of everyone releasing lower weight more 'stage friendly' DPs right now.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kurzweil Forte is a giggers board with workstation DNA. It unfortunately shares the same Fatar action as the Nord Stage 2 EX. The sound library is extensive and always available, unlike a Stage 2 or even the Stage 2 EX where you have to pick what you want to carry with due to the storage limitations. The Forte is better featured in splits, layers, MIDI controller functionality, sound design capabilities. It does not have as good a clone wheel organ (however the KB3 doesn't suck outright) and it's not as easy to use, nor as light. However, Kurz just announced a hammer weighed 76k version which trims length and weight. The Nord is $4999 in the US, the Forte $3995. The Korg Kronos uses SSD for large sample libraries that dwarf the Stage 2 EX and has workstation features and sound engines that almost summarizes their entire 50 years of intellectual property. However it has a plasticy build and the action, while not awful, isn't an MP11 either. Nor is the user interface as refined. But, Korg is offering the mothership of all workstations yet to appear for $3699.99.

I think the Nord Stage 2 EX is good. It meets the needs of certain players very well but there is something bizarre happening in its US retail pricing that places it horribly out of sync with its nearest competitors and is suggestive that it has features that it doesn't, or at least should have at its price point.

Dwell on these discrepancies in US vs. EU pricing. Nonsensical.
Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
Pricing of the NS2 EX 88 in the US is $4,999.99. You'll qualify for free shipping, but depending on where you are you may need to pay sales tax.

If you look at a major EU dealer like Thomann. You'll see the they are asking €3,490 for the NS2 EX 88. VAT already included and free shipping.

This evening 1 Euro is 1.11 US dollars. Which means the price of the NS2 EX 88 in Europe is $3,863.53 US dollars. How or why $1,136.41 US gets added to the price for US customers, I am not sure.

For comparison a Yamaha CP4 in the EU sells for €1,998 or $2,211.85.
In the US the CP4 sells for $2,299.99. $88.14 more.

In the EU, the Kawai MP11 sells for €2,222 or $2,459.82.
In the US it sells for $2799. $340.17 more.

The Korg Kronos sells for €3,999 or $4427.09.
In the US it sells for $3,699.99. $727.10 LESS!

The Yamaha and Kawai products are very close in price regardless of zone. Korg is decently less in the US.

But another odd one is the Kurzweil Forte which sells at Thomann for €2,399 or $2655.76.
In the US, the Forte sells for $3995.00. What the heck? $1,339.24 more in the US?

There appears to be a "what the market will bear" factor here as opposed to conversion rates or tariffs or trade agreements.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
But for all the Forte's and Kronos' higher technical specs they just don't have anything like the diversity or character of the Nord. Specs aren't everything. Nord has found a way to get truly organic and distinctive voices into its pianos. Nord players have a palette of sounds available that others can only dream of.

You could also argue that Roland Supernatural represents a real advance. No doubt achieved with (relatively) tiny sample sets it performs at a broadly comparable level to multi-gig sample libraries.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission