2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I have the opportunity to purchase a McPhail Baby Grand Piano (1922) and a Hallet and Davis Baby Grand Piano (1923) for $1000 each. I am trying to decide between the two but I don't know a lot about these companies. The McPhail Piano has been restored but the Hallet and Davis is in pristine mechanical and exterior condition, but isn't restored. I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me as to whether either one is a good buy and which one is better.

You can view the pictures at this link- https://goo.gl/photos/EnvV59sbzjNPgehK7

The 5 pictures are of the Hallet and Davis Baby Grand Piano and the last 2 are of the McPhail Baby Grand Piano.

Music Lover: "Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever."
Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
Chopin Scherzo No.2, Op.31 (Scherzo in B flat m)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Gau Bya
I have the opportunity to purchase a McPhail Baby Grand Piano (1922) and a Hallet and Davis Baby Grand Piano (1923) for $1000 each. I am trying to decide between the two but I don't know a lot about these companies. The McPhail Piano has been restored but the Hallet and Davis is in pristine mechanical and exterior condition, but isn't restored. I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me as to whether either one is a good buy and which one is better.

You can view the pictures at this link- https://goo.gl/photos/EnvV59sbzjNPgehK7

The 5 pictures are of the Hallet and Davis Baby Grand Piano and the last 2 are of the McPhail Baby Grand Piano.

Really hard to tell from the photos. I can say that as a teenager in the early 1960s I practiced on a 1920's era (possibly older) McPhail upright and it was a solid, well built instrument. When we purchased it in 1959 I remember the salesman telling us that McPhail enjoyed an excellent reputation back in the day. Do you know anything about the "restoration" of the McPhail? What was done and who did the work? Is it in the same pristine mechanical condition as the Hallet? Seems like either of these instrument might be a good deal for only $1K. For a few $$ more you could get a tech to look at the pianos and give an opinion as to their condition. Good luck.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you carey. I appreciate your help. I am leaning towards getting a tech to check the pianos due to their age. I am not sure what kind of restoration was done, but it looks to be an exterior finish that was restored. I don't have a picture of the interior, but that might also be the case as well. I am leaning towards the McPhail Piano right now. It also has a more ornate carving on it which will also make it look good in my home, and will be a delight for me to play everyday. I will check it out and see how it feels. Thanks again.

Music Lover: "Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever."
Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:

Online Content

Good luck - let us know what you decide !!!!!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Condition becomes the pivotal question with an older piano. A technician would be the one who can tell you this, of course. However I do understand the expense would be a significant portion of the piano's price. Would I hire my tech in this scenario? I don't know.

Do you have any pianist friends who might play one/both and give some input? They would not be able to determine condition like a technician, but might be able to give you some valuable input.

As mentioned above, ask about details on the MchPhail restoration work. The fact that it has had attention (whatever the details) *could* be a positive indicator of the current owner taking care of the piano through the years.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Condition becomes the pivotal question with an older piano. A technician would be the one who can tell you this, of course. However I do understand the expense would be a significant portion of the piano's price. Would I hire my tech in this scenario? I don't know.

Do you have any pianist friends who might play one/both and give some input? They would not be able to determine condition like a technician, but might be able to give you some valuable input.

As mentioned above, ask about details on the MchPhail restoration work. The fact that it has had attention (whatever the details) *could* be a positive indicator of the current owner taking care of the piano through the years.

I actually have been playing the piano for a while and have scheduled an appointment with the owner to come and see the piano. I believe the McPhail is in better condition and I will likely purchase that piano day after tomorrow. Do you have any opinion as to which one is better among the two?

Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
You also ask about if they are a good buy. If either piano is in solid playing condition (holds pitch, all the keys work, reasonably functional regulation, hammers that can produce some dynamics and tone quality, etc.) the price is good.

If either piano has some major condition issue (failed pin block for example) the price would be too high.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

I actually have been playing the piano for a while and have scheduled an appointment with the owner to come and see the piano. I believe the McPhail is in better condition and I will likely purchase that piano day after tomorrow. Do you have any opinion as to which one is better among the two?
Ok good - you'll know more when you play it.
I would go for the piano in better condition.

G
OP Offline
G
Ok, thank you for your help.

Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
G
OP Offline
G
If anyone else has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. I have received very helpful information but if anyone has a second opinion, I would appreciate it.

Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
G
OP Offline
G

Ok good - you'll know more when you play it.
I would go for the piano in better condition.

I went to play the piano and it sounded really good, even though it hasn't been tuned in 5 years. The interior and exterior condition is great. As far as I can tell, it just needs tuning and maybe some interior cleaning. Is it worth paying 1000 dollars for this piano?

Baldwin Model R.

Currently Working On:
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I went to play the piano and it sounded really good, even though it hasn't been tuned in 5 years. The interior and exterior condition is great. As far as I can tell, it just needs tuning and maybe some interior cleaning. Is it worth paying 1000 dollars for this piano?
Based on your evaluation, it sounds like an excellent price. But now for the disclaimer: I do want to caution that I can't really determine that over cyberspace. Maybe there are some hidden issues or something.

But generally speaking, a grand that is enjoyable to play, has held a tuning well for 5 years, and has a great looking finish is a bargain at $1,000.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission