2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Finfan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi! I am still a rank beginner, but I am looking to upgrade from my 61 key Yamaha YPT-220. I guess I should add my understanding of the terms to be sure I have them right:

Touch Sensitive - No resistance to the touch but the harder you strike the key the louder the tone.

Semi-weighted - Lightly weighted. Some resistance but not at all similar to an acoustic piano.

Weighted - Feels at least similar to an acoustic piano. Requires more hand strength to play.

I am hoping to purchase this and find an instructor at about the same time. There seem to be several keyboards in my affordable range for each option. I will be going for a full 88 keys. My real question is which option is best for a beginner. I've been muddling through the Alfred's book on my own but I intend to go back to start once I find a teacher. I also will probably be using whatever I get for a long time so longevity is also a consideration. Thanks for any replies!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Your description of the different keyboards is quite right and you will certainly want a weighted hammer action. Fortunately, virtually all digital pianos have both hammer action keyboards and 88 keys. The difference between a good entry level DP and the one you've been using is great - you will really feel a big difference. You can develop proper piano technique with a good dp, and a teacher to guide you if possible.

Depending on how much you want to spend, and maybe how long you plan on keeping the same piano, you should look at:

Less $:and

Casio PX 360 (and other Casio PX pianos to suit your needs)
Kawai ES100
Yamaha P45 P155 & (w/better keyboard) Arius YDP 162 & P255
Roland F 20 F130R

More $

Kawai CA series (furniture pianos) ES7 (slab type - really good but finishing production, so possible bargain)
Roland HP series (furniture pianos) or FP80 RD800 (stage pianos)
Yamaha CLP range (furniture pianos) CP4 (stage)

If you're looking for a long term investment, this second list is worth considering.

Of course this is just a smattering, but I think they're quite representative. Good luck in your searching!

Last edited by toddy; 07/19/15 01:59 PM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
F
Finfan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you toddy! I'll probably be looking at slab types just because I have some dreams of at least playing at some back yard parties some day. So being able to transport it easily is a consideration. Plus it would be useful to be able to move the piano out of the way at home on some occasions.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
A couple of notes about the categories...

What you called "touch senstive" is also referred to as "unweighted" or sometimes "synth action."

Within a given category, there is still a lot of variation in what actions can feel like. And so some "semi-weighted" actions are much more playable for piano than others.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission