Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, Anita Potter, anotherscott, Arabesque, 30 invisible), 1279 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2444391 - 07/25/15 09:55 AM Best plastic digital piano action for classical music.
Fer De Armas Offline

Hi, I recognize that the best action for the classical technique is simply an acoustic and the best substitute would be a digital piano with wooden keys as the Kawai MP11 or equivalent with GF2 or RM3II key action as VPC1, but if weight is a serious problem, then what would be the best option with plastic keys ?... Kawai AHA- IV , RH2 , Roland PHAIII or PHAIV, Korg RH3 , Yamaha GH3 or Casio Tri - sensor Scaled HA II. Thanks for your opinions.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2444401 - 07/25/15 10:40 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I don`t know why people think an acoustic piano has the best keyboard for anything. If you`re talking a lot of money, well OK. But even so, the mechanical requirements of an acoustic are demanding, and your fingers have to power all this.

Best case would be an electronically governed superlight carbon fibre keyboard, powering a stringed piano. So, by definition (mine) most digital piano keyboards should be better.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers try their best to emulate the feel of an acoustic action.

Sad, isn`t it? But you`ll have to choose amidst the myriad products on offer. Kawai keyboards are well thought of and their plastic actions found on the ES7 and CN25/35 rank highly in my opinion. Have fun! (You`ll get more informative responses than this, I`m sure . . . ) grin

""

#2444414 - 07/25/15 11:30 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It's such a tough question to answer. The reason being is that even acoustics don't feel the same. So unless you are trying to match a specific acoustic piano's feel, it's hard to say what feels the best. In general, however, it is very hard to find a great acoustic piano action vs. a keyboard action without the weight. The lighter you get, the less acoustic feeling it will be and thus less ideal for classical music.

Personally, I have been most satisfied with Kawai's MP11 (GF) or VPC1 action (RM3-II), but the weight is probably among the highest for a slab style piano. Not great for gigging, but it is portable.

You can check out the ES7 as peterws recommends, and also the MP7. Compare that with the Casio Privias (same action for all), Roland RD-800, and Yamaha CP4. All but the Casios are going to weigh more, but they are also better actions than the Casio, IMO. Korg really isn't a contender, but I haven't played their latest actions either.

You really just have to go out and test them all yourself to see what feels best to you, and determine how much weight you really can tolerate.

#2444416 - 07/25/15 11:41 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Fer De Armas
Hi, I recognize that the best action for the classical technique is simply an acoustic and the best substitute would be a digital piano with wooden keys as the Kawai MP11 or equivalent with GF2 or RM3II key action as VPC1, but if weight is a serious problem, then what would be the best option with plastic keys ?... Kawai AHA- IV , RH2 , Roland PHAIII or PHAIV, Korg RH3 , Yamaha GH3 or Casio Tri - sensor Scaled HA II. Thanks for your opinions.

This if subjective. Even on real acoustic pianos, people can have very different opinions about which actions are better than which. Some people like heavier actions, some people like lighter action, etc. So nobody but you can tell you which you will consider to be the best substitute. There is some consensus about which actions are better or worse in general... there's kind of an "A" category and a "B" category... but within a category, people's opinions are all over the place. (And every now and then, you'll even find people who say that some generally perceived "lesser" action is better than some "better" action.)

Another variable is how you're using it. For example, IF you're going to use the piano primarily to play its own internal sounds through its own internal speakers, then the action is only one piece of the experience, which is a combination of the feel, the sound, how the sound sounds through its own speakers, and the "finger to sound connection". OTOH, if you're going to be using external speakers and/or using the board to trigger an external sound, that alters the equation.

#2444437 - 07/25/15 01:06 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Yes, acoustics actions differ. But regardless ... they're all better than any plastic digital keyboard. If you decide to go digital, you implicitly accept a plastic keyboard (save for the high-end Avant Grands or similar).

#2444441 - 07/25/15 01:32 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By MacMacMac
Yes, acoustics actions differ. But regardless ...they're all better than any plastic digital keyboard. If you decide to go digital, you implicitly accept a plastic keyboard (save for the high-end Avant Grands or similar).

This is a sweeping statement and completely wrong in my opinion. Some acoustic actions are too heavy, too light, too shallow etc etc. Most good digital pianos have an action approximating a well regulated grand - far better than most uprights and cheaper acoustic grands.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 Ult. / Audiophile 2496
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Monitors: Yamaha HS7s .

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.
William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven & heck

#2444455 - 07/25/15 02:16 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
jimb100 Offline

Loc: Florida
Yes, acoustics actions differ. But regardless ... they're all better than any plastic digital keyboard. If you decide to go digital, you implicitly accept a plastic keyboard (save for the high-end Avant Grands or similar).

I suppose since you've tried "all" acoustic actions so you would know this to be fact.

Of course, if you haven't, then its just a poorly expressed and unsupported opinion.

#2444469 - 07/25/15 03:23 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: jimb100]
bennevis Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think I can safely say that over the past several decades, I've played on more pianos - everything from those fit for the scrapyard, to the best regulated & tuned concert grands - than most people here grin.

And I can attest that piano actions vary even more than piano sounds. One Steinway D can sound almost identical to the next (especially if the same technician has worked on both), but their actions can feel quite different, and in the end, what is meat to one pianist is poison to another.

As long as the action isn't totally way out compared to the 'average' acoustic grand, what matters more is how well it suits you and, for a digital, how well it 'connects' to the sound.

As for plastic v wood, well, Kawai began using plastic in its actions on acoustic pianos in the 1960s - which has proved more durable than wood........(and Mason & Hamlin, and Steingraeber & Söhne have also used synthetics in their pianos). So, forget all about wood being somehow superior to plastics.

#2444489 - 07/25/15 05:49 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: jimb100]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Not opinion at all. Look at the design of any acoustic piano action. As I said before, only the Avant Grands have such an action. (Perhaps there are others??)

Most other digitals have single-hinged plastic keys supported by springs, weighted by metal hammer bars. Some of the better Kawai models at least approach the center-pivot key style of an acoustic. But the rest of the acoustic action is missing from these.

It's not necessary to play every (or any) acoustic piano to see the difference.

So, yes ... this is a generalization. Based entirely on fact.
Originally Posted By jimb100
I suppose since you've tried "all" acoustic actions so you would know this to be fact. Of course, if you haven't, then its just a poorly expressed and unsupported opinion.

#2444505 - 07/25/15 06:43 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
Charles Cohen Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Not opinion at all. Look at the design of any acoustic piano action. As I said before, only the Avant Grands have such an action. (Perhaps there are others??)

Most other digitals have single-hinged plastic keys supported by springs, weighted by metal hammer bars. Some of the better Kawai models at least approach the center-pivot key style of an acoustic. But the rest of the acoustic action is missing from these.

MacMacMac -- PMFJI --

You have shown that all DP actions (except the AvantGrand) are _different_ than all acoustic grand actions.

You haven't shown that all DP actions (except AG) are _worse_ than every acoustic grand action.

#2444511 - 07/25/15 07:05 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Macmacmac said:
Look at the design of any acoustic piano action. As I said before, only the Avant Grands have such an action. (Perhaps there are others??)

He also said:

The actions are different, yes. No one is disputing that. But my question is: where does this idea that acoustics are 'better' come from?

Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by Incapacity. He who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.

#2444513 - 07/25/15 07:14 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've played some acoustics with pretty crappy actions over the years, but to be fair, they probably were great when they were new and/or well maintained. So I would agree if MMM would have said: Actions on well-made and well-maintained acoustics tend to be better than on digitals.

I, for one, would much rather play on a nice digital than a crappy acoustic.

#2444515 - 07/25/15 07:20 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In my book, acoustic pianos are better. I'd much rather have an acoustic.

But my budget won't allow it.

And I can easily see how some might prefer (and demand) a digital for reasons other than price. Portability. Playing silently. Performance at a venue unsuitable for an acoustic. And more. If those requirements can only be met by a digital, then the digital is better.

But in the absence of those requirements, the acoustic wins. There was been speculation more than a decade ago that digitals will eventually surpass acoustics. But that still hasn't happened.

A lottery win is unlikely, and I have no wealthy elderly relatives. The big money isn't coming my way soon. So an acoustic isn't coming either. I'm stuck with the digital. But I'm under no illusion that it's better.

#2444522 - 07/25/15 07:43 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I can easily see how some might prefer (and demand) a digital for reasons other than price. Portability. Playing silently. Performance at a venue unsuitable for an acoustic. And more. If those requirements can only be met by a digital, then the digital is better.

But in the absence of those requirements, the acoustic wins.

Why?

Since playing a DP regularly, the acoustic uprights I've played have felt like toys, whereas the Roland HP 302 has felt like returning to the Bechstein or Bluthner pianos I had the privilege of playing beck in the 80's and early 90's.

#2444555 - 07/25/15 11:45 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
500 Post Club Member

The issue is that piano players (those that learned to play on an acoustic action, regardless of what make and model) are used to certain things being present. A sensation of weight, a certain amount of time it takes the hammer to swing and strike the string. The feeling that you can hold the hammer mid motion without making a sound and feel where you are in the arc. As you get to know the instrument you get a feel for the timing, for the variations in tone and you know what it takes to get a bright ping from the instrument as well as a dull round sound. You can achieve great variation in dynamics from fff down to ppp and everything in between. Now some acoustic pianos speak better for a player than others, and that's why different players prefer this or that make or model. As a piano player moves from one piano to another there is a certain amount of time necessary to adapt. This is true from acoustic to acoustic as well as from acoustic to digital and from digital to digital.

The struggle of the digital piano makers is to achieve an action to sound connection that comes close to what is possible on a fine acoustic piano. I love digitals - they can be very precisely in tune, they can sound like many different instruments, layer, split, etc. etc. But there is much that is lacking in the build of most digital actions. The hammer swing and the right velocity curve to sound connection (both in timbre and in volume) is very difficult to replicate because of the amount of homework the designers must do from the sampling sessions, the right timbre in each velocity layers, matching it up to the energy and speed the player puts into the action. Playing most digital pianos is an adjustment in technique and in general, it takes a little getting used to. Certainly to play as fluid as one might on the instrument they spent the most time rehearsing on.

Now, with the sale of digital pianos becoming more and more common, there are going to be players who never learned or practiced on acoustics. So their technique will have been worked out on a digital from the start. There will still be adjusting as you move from digital to digital. And switching to an acoustic will most certainly feel unusual at first. But, I suspect once a player hears the sound of a fine acoustic piano and the control the action affords the player, they're certainly sure to want one (should space, cost, and other planetary bodies align).

Lastly, it's not correct to say the best action would be one that is fastest, lightest, and most immediately responsive. Organ players and piano players have very different techniques, and people that play both are familiar with the differences. Ok, early acoustic actions (before the golden age of the piano) may have been less than stellar. But for the last few centuries the design has become quite refined and hasn't hindered people from acheiving great expression and blinding technique. So, why do digital manufacturers want to replicate that? It's obvious I think.

#2444564 - Yesterday at 01:41 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: jimb100]
ColoRodney Offline

I've played a Baldwin Acrosonic whose action was far worse than my Kawai ES7. so, no, I do not agree that all acoustic pianos are better than all digital pianos

#2444591 - Yesterday at 08:27 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
Pete14 Offline

"..... you can hold the hammer mid motion without making a sound and feel where you are in the arc.." (on an acoustic action).

I very much agree with this. As a matter of fat, many pianists take advantage of this to anchor/balance the hand and fingers; especially during very dense passages. Pianists will hit neighboring keys (or simply rest unused fingers on these keys) without making a sound from those keys/notes.

Simply by having a tactile sensation of the "arc," they will know how far the neighboring key needs to travel (past the arc) to make a sound, and they simply don't go past that threshold.

Not even the AvantGrand can do this. Yes, if you play a key very softly on an AvantGrand you won't get a sound, but if you play/depress that key with normal force you will make a sound despite not going past the threshold of the arc.

#2444595 - Yesterday at 08:38 AM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
500 Post Club Member

Then one must assume that either the Acrosonic you played had something wrong with it, or is a sub-standard model in the Baldwin line, or you just don't care for that action. All off which are possible. I've played Baldwin uprights and grands that play wonderfully, far better than a digital facsimile. And that's coming from someone who loves digital pianos, has watched them improve over the years, and hopes to see manufacturers succeed in their efforts. The Avant Grand plays really well, and is as close as I've seen thus far in that regard. Many others are playable and musical but don't feel like a fine acoustic action (not some hunk of junk). Now remove that from being a goal and it's a non issue.

#2444630 - Yesterday at 01:30 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
jimb100 Offline

Loc: Florida

Originally Posted By jimb100
I suppose since you've tried "all" acoustic actions so you would know this to be fact. Of course, if you haven't, then its just a poorly expressed and unsupported opinion.

Now you want to quibble over the definition of "all"? Last I looked, all meant every single one. Not, "well I tried a few and now I'm entitled to say all acoustic actions are better than all digital piano actions".

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own "facts".

#2444862 - Today at 12:58 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Loc: Greenwich, London, United King...

Sigh ....

From Kawai's grand piano division ....

Quote:
For Kawai piano craftsmen in the 1960's the problem centered around wood. While certainly ideal for all of the important sound-producing elements of a piano, wood was woefully inadequate for many of the critical components found in a piano's action.

The problems? First, wood was susceptible to breakage when subjected to continual high stress. But far more troublesome was wood's tendency to shrink and swell dramatically with changes in climate.

Lacking alternatives, piano makers simply accepted the shortcoming of wood, forcing piano technicians to "treat the symptoms" by replacing failed wood parts and making continual adjustments. But Kawai craftsmen remained troubled... for they knew that these inherent weaknesses of wood posed a serious threat to the quality and character of a piano's touch and tone.

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/abs_09/the_problem.html

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/abs_09/the_solution.html

Then the same company promotes real wooden keys as a feature for its digitals that is somehow more authentic ....

The use of wooden keys in digital pianos is pure marketing. You get all the disadvantages as outlined above by Kawai with no conceivable advantage ... there are great and lousy plastic and wooden actions ... the material really has nothing to do with it.

#2444866 - Today at 01:27 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: DazedAndConfused]
toddy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By DazedAndConfused

The use of wooden keys in digital pianos is pure marketing. You get all the disadvantages as outlined above by Kawai with no conceivable advantage ... there are great and lousy plastic and wooden actions ... the material really has nothing to do with it.

This is amazing. The message coming out of Kawai Acoustic division is this:

The Truth About ABS [ie plasitc]

It wasn't long before criticism emerged from the piano establishment....

Although these criticisms had no basis in fact, they were used aggressively to confuse piano consumers and obscure the truth about [plastic]. But as competitive opposition increased, so did the credible body of evidence supporting Kawai's use of [plastic].

At the same time, Kawai's digital division is happily promoting the joys of real wood actions.

#2444870 - Today at 01:40 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
DazedandConfused,

REading your above reply, it is definitely saying that you are indeed dazed and confused. Comparing the key itself, to the all complicated grand action is a pure nonsense. Wood has someadvantades over the plastic, it's vibrant, more flexible and so on. Believe me, if replacing wooden actions by making the ALL PLASTIC action would be so easy and good to the grand pianos, all manufacturers would have been doing that. Unfortunately, wood has a lot of advantages, which plastic does not have.

Of course, for some parts, it would be probably better to use plastic parts, however, still, the wood will remain the core material.

Indeed, wood is a demanding material, but has it's pluses as well. Yes it works, but pianos in general should stay in stable condition, not in very much changing conditions.

It's the same as with every other top-end quality instrument. Usually they are best, but they need to have good conditions to work.

And, indeed wood in Kawai's action is more authentic. Noting wrong's here. I bet, that acoustic with all woden action would be somehow dead.

#2444879 - Today at 02:18 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: toddy]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Originally Posted By toddy
Originally Posted By DazedAndConfused

This is amazing. The message coming out of Kawai Acoustic division is this:

The Truth About ABS [ie plasitc]

It wasn't long before criticism emerged from the piano establishment....

Although these criticisms had no basis in fact, they were used aggressively to confuse piano consumers and obscure the truth about [plastic]. But as competitive opposition increased, so did the credible body of evidence supporting Kawai's use of [plastic].

At the same time, Kawai's digital division is happily promoting the joys of real wood actions.

It is very convenient for some manufacturers to push the 'benefits' of cheap wooden keyboard actions at a time when sales of acoustic upright pianos are collapsing. They have to do something with all that excess wood ....

#2444884 - Today at 02:33 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: kapelli]
DazedAndConfused Offline

Originally Posted By kapelli
DazedandConfused,

Comparing the key itself, to the all complicated grand action is a pure nonsense.

You have never touched a wooden key in your life. You have probably touched plastic or on a very old piano, ivory, glued to a material that may or may not be wood.

Quote:
Wood has some advantages over the plastic, it's vibrant, more flexible and so on.

Any vibrancy or flexibility you feel from the touch of a wooden key is via an interface with a plastic material ... ivorite etc. How come you can feel vibrancy and flexibility when touching a plastic material that you cannot feel when touching a plastic material ... you have lost me there ...

Quote:
Believe me, if replacing wooden actions by making the ALL PLASTIC action would be so easy and good to the grand pianos, all manufacturers would have been doing that. Unfortunately, wood has a lot of advantages, which plastic does not have.

I am not talking about all manufacturers. I am talking about Kawai and their clever / unscrupulous (you decide) marketing that slates wood as a material in one division whilst promoting it as the premium choice in another division.

There is an element of appreciation of craftsmanship and a commitment to the necessary maintenance when buying a high end digital piano. It is very much like people spending £100,000 on a watch expect it to be fully mechanical, even if an electronic watch would be more reliable and accurate.

But we are talking about consumer digital musical instruments. Why on earth anyone would buy a keyboard action that needs regular maintenance and regulation, is subject to changes due to climate and humidity etc in a digital instrument, purely because it is made of wood, is mystifying. For me, the presence of wood is a major negative and the action would have to be absolutely superb to silence my deep reservations.

An extract from an article linked to the Kawai Site:

Quote:
Although there are many wood actions of very high quality and should not be avoided, there is in my opinion absolutely no advantage or rational justification that can be credibly argued any longer to imply that wood actions provide any real advantages.

http://www.georgekolasis.com/piano-action-parts.html

My advice to the OP is to buy a digital piano that feels good to play and has an action that feels well connected to the sound engine, whether it is made of wood or not is a total irrelevance.

Edited by DazedAndConfused (Today at 02:40 PM)

#2444891 - Today at 02:43 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
Pete14 Offline

Wood or wood not? The heat is on!

Stay tuned for further developments!

#2444896 - Today at 03:00 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
Doritos Flavoured Offline

Loc: Brazil
the best one for my fingers and pockets is the one I own ;-)

plus, termites don't dig plastic

Edited by Doritos Flavoured (Today at 03:16 PM)

my piano haiku

#2444924 - Today at 04:29 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Doritos Flavoured]
bennevis Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I always knew there was a reason the sides of the keys on my digital are painted woody-brown - to convince ignorant punters like myself that the keys were actually made of wood, with a (fake) ivory surface. What can be more natural - wood + elephant tusk? wink (Never mind the deforestation and the dead animal - you want natural, you got it........)

The placebo effect of the all-natural keys convinced me I could play like a virtuoso, just like my hero Rachmaninov, who obviously couldn't be doing with plastic on his pianos. Then, I put on my glasses and scrutinized the keys carefully - and discovered that the whole thing was one big piece of plastic, painted with fake wood on the sides, and with a layer of fake ivory coating on the tops...... cry

#2444956 - Today at 06:12 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
500 Post Club Member

Synthetic keys!!!! cry
The pain, unbearable. smile

Goes well with the synthetic sound of a DP, but on an acoustic.
The shock. The horror. wink

no whining, I love digital pianos. have owned and played many

#2444958 - Today at 06:22 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: Fer De Armas]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I've seen (seemingly) authoritative work claiming benefits of wood.

But I think there exists a much bigger difference between acoustic pianos and digitals. It's the action.

The latter is usually wooden, though many uprights have been using plastic wippen parts for decades. Kawai has been using carbon fiber for certain parts (including hammer shanks) in their premium pianos. And certain replacement parts makers are offering non-wooden parts, too.

Even so, I still think the difference is more than just wood vs. plastic. It's the action.

This grand action or this upright action has little in common with this digital action.

#2444977 - Today at 07:16 PM Re: Best plastic digital piano action for classical music. [Re: MacMacMac]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've seen (seemingly) authoritative work claiming benefits of wood.

But I think there exists a much bigger difference between acoustic pianos and digitals. It's the action.

The latter is usually wooden,

I think you mean the former.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tips for finding customers?
by Justice Post
15 minutes 41 seconds ago
Thank you, RPTs
by Adam Schaaf 58265
Today at 08:53 PM
Yamaha C2X vs C3X
by Forevertwentyone
Today at 05:55 PM
Fingerprint Oil and such a thing as too clean?
by Markarian
Today at 02:10 PM
original composition, opinion?
by pianistforever238
Today at 01:57 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,170 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,787 Topics
2,430,406 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission