2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Miruna Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello
Here is my interpretation of Chopin's nocturne - I would appreciate your advice on how to improve it.
Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTTTmVM7PZ8

L
L
Overall, a good job. You managed to get the more difficult parts under your fingers. I think a lot of what could be done better are just things that will improve with time. For example, especially in the first half of the piece, there was often a slight pause before you sounded the first chords (the second eighth note of each three note group of eighth notes)--I often have the same problem when playing new pieces, sort of "searching" for the chord...you find it, but there's the slightest of pauses, which distorts the rhythm. That is just a familiarity thing. Keep practicing and that will go away.

The only other thing I would recommend would to add a bit more nuance to your touch in phrasing--you want the melody to swell and relax, to tense and release, to feel as if it is growing, impassioned, at moments. You have to make it feel as if you're communicating something important to someone you love, sometimes at a whisper, sometimes with fervid excitement. You've got the notes down, so just focus on tidying up your rhythms a little, and once you have that, you can really focus on making the piano sing.

M
Miruna Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you, lautreamont smile I appreciate your remarks and feedback, I will pay attention to what you have told me !

T
T
Hi Miruna!

First of all, I'm glad for you to see that you play on a REAL piano now smile

And I like your Chopin! Since you ask for some advice, let me tell you two minor things:

1.) In the accompaniment, the first beat often gets a bit lost or even sounds staccato, since your hand leaves too early (or the pedal comes too late). Just don't hurry, always keep the key until your foot is back smile The beautiful melody always needs a solid foundation and doesn't like to be "alone" smile

2.) Twice in the piece there is a passage where you obviously want to prepare the following "stanza" very carefully. The first of them is at 1:22.Just be careful not to change the tempo that abruptely, these chords shouldn't be "strangers", but sound like a smooth introduction which slows down gradually.

Okay, this was some criticism now.... I hope you can feel that there is a benevolent spirit behind it? As in your former contributions, I liked very much listening to you!

Best regards from Switzerland, the little neighbour country smile

Felix

Last edited by Tony007; 07/29/15 12:04 PM.
M
Miruna Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm grateful for your advice, Felix smile I am fully aware I don't do justice to this beautiful piece of music, I just hope to improve myself when possible.
Thank you so much for your kind words and for your appreciation, greetings to you too, je vous souhaite une très belle soirée smile

Last edited by Miruna; 07/29/15 01:32 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Miruna :

I agree with Tony007 about the bass accompaniment. That was the first thing that struck me about your performance. While the score does have a staccato mark on the first bass note of each group of 3, there is also a pedal marking indicating that the bass note must be caught by the pedal before releasing it.

The underlying harmony must always be fixed by the bass note. That bass note often provides, when judiciously executed, a secondary line to the melody line. For example, beats three and four of measure one and beat one of measure two should clearly outline the descending line : E-flat, D, C. Similarly in measure 3, beats one, two and three, B-flat, B, C, help the resolution of the harmony to the C minor chord on beat three.

Ceci dit, félicitations pour un bon début; vous êtes sur la bonne piste.

Bien à vous,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
Miruna Offline OP
OP Offline
M
You are right, I jump too fast from the first note to the second and the first one remains too short, too stacatto - I will work on that !
Merci pour vos remarques smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission