Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (Albunea, AndrewJCW, Al LaPorte, angga888, 18 invisible), 938 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2446083 - 07/30/15 10:39 PM OT: Windows 10
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Anyone made the jump?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2446090 - 07/30/15 10:55 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Gatsbee13 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
not yet.. but probably will tonight. ill be running it from my macbook pro through bootcamp.. interested to hear feedback from those who've made the jump as i haven't had time to read any reviews on any of the tech sites.

#2446105 - 07/30/15 11:31 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

I use OSX or Windows 7 at the moment. But now that they've decided to stop monetizing the OS I'll give 10 a try. Why not. They say some improvements have been made to Audio/MIDI but I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard that song and dance before.

#2446123 - 07/31/15 01:42 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
George Gk Offline

Loc: Greece
Originally Posted By ElmerJFudd
I use OSX or Windows 7 at the moment. But now that they've decided to stop monetizing the OS I'll give 10 a try. Why not. They say some improvements have been made to Audio/MIDI but I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard that song and dance before.

yep.on a toshiba encore tablet and at dell i5 laptop.
still on 8.1 my daw pc, i thnk i'll wait for that.
looks good,better ui than 8.1 , more user friendly.
both were upgraded,no issues .

Edited by George Gk (07/31/15 01:43 AM)

#2446157 - 07/31/15 05:23 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Hendrik42 Offline

Loc: Germany
... But now that they've decided to stop monetizing the OS I'll give 10 a try.

Stopped? They have just started. You can not play Solitaire on Windows 10 without looking at ads or buying a subscription...

#2446198 - 07/31/15 09:33 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haha. Well good thing I don't play solitaire!

#2446203 - 07/31/15 10:17 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
No rush to try it for me, and I skipped the whole 8 generation. These days I have little interest in that the latest and supposedly greatest, and more have the attitude, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. smile

I installed windows 7 about 3 years ago on my current machine, with dual boot linux, no problems at all, no blue screens anymore that sometimes I got in XP and earlier windows days ( I skipped Vista also and never missed it apart from when I was forced to DX11 one day, so I went to 7 then from XP),

These days, never any OS crashes, 7 works well, and still serves me well, and my PC gets a fair work out, hours of calculations, using GPU and CPU and not a hiccup in that time and the audio stuff I now use for a year or so, it works great in 7 as well for me.

Seems looking around a lot of drivers are not around yet, but they'll probably work anyway with the older ones in many cases. I'll give it a few months and see how it is received and how certain apps run on it. I guess seeing it is free this time, that's a bonus, and I'll have to do it at some point anyway, but when I feel the time is right to jump ship, not just for the sake of upgrading because I can smile

Edited by Alexander Borro (07/31/15 10:18 AM)
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq, The Giant, Cubase 7 elements.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2446207 - 07/31/15 10:26 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
David Farley Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I've been able to keep some older devices working because Windows Vista 64-bit drivers work with Windows 7 64-bit, and I've had good luck digging up old Vista 64-bit drivers. Those drivers do not work with Windows 8 or 8.1 and I doubt very much they'll work in Windows 10. I'm attracted to the idea that Windows 10 runs in a much smaller footprint and the new low-latency stuff Microsoft's been touting. Might do some testing, at least.

#2446229 - 07/31/15 01:10 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: ElmerJFudd]
bill5 Offline

I use OSX or Windows 7 at the moment. But now that they've decided to stop monetizing the OS I'll give 10 a try. Why not.
Because Win 7 is an excellent and proven OS while Win 10 isn't. And MS is notoriously erratic with Windows, coming out with crappy versions at least as often as good/great ones. Why risk it?

I have 8.1 and don't like it, but it's bearable...plus there will be inevitable problems with software compatibility, needing new drivers, etc etc.

Also I've heard rumor (granted it's only that) that they are going to start charging subscription fees a la MS Office 365.

Pass...

(PS: I don't consider this totally off-topic as some of us are interested in using our PCs to record or otherwise expand our keyboard capabilities)

#2446235 - 07/31/15 01:16 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Doritos Flavoured Online   content

Loc: Brazil
I'm waiting for the Baidu edition.

kidding, made the jump to the free and ad-free Linux many, many years ago...

#2446302 - 07/31/15 04:01 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Frédéric L Offline

Loc: France
There is an interesting article on the latency improvements of Windows 10 when using the WASAPI interface. It is on MSDN : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt298187(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by Frédéric L (07/31/15 04:02 PM)

#2446315 - 07/31/15 04:57 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I use a webcam to record myself, primarily to see and listen more carefully what I (an amateur) am doing. But I occasionally share the wmv files too.

MS dumped WMC lock, stock, and barrel from Windows 10. I do not use any other features of WMC, but I like to continue what I am doing as described in the previous paragraph.

Will I be affected if I upgrade?

#2446326 - 07/31/15 06:07 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There's a lot of great info about Win 10 and its usability for musicians at

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co...tions-here.html

including a lot of answers from a Microsoft rep.

#2446346 - 07/31/15 08:10 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Digitalguy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
For me the main reason to upgrade would be extended support. Windows 7 support will end in 4.5 years. Windows 8.1 will last 3 years more. Windows 10 support will be supported until October 2025. So if you have a powerful pc with Windows 7 that may well last beyond January 2020, you will have to pay to upgrade then if you haven't done during the free 1 year window. Having said that I think I'll only upgrade my surface and some secondary PCs. I will not risk upgrading my 2 main PCs (Windows 7 and 8.1, both powerful i7 with lots of RAM) amd if I haven't replaced them by 2020 and 2023 I will pay to upgrade then....
Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, iPad Air, iLoud, Ivory II ACD, Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Steinway, TrueKeys American, VILabs Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro, The Grand 2, SampleTekk Black, Addictive Keys, Ezkeys

#2446349 - 07/31/15 08:55 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: Doritos Flavoured]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Doritos Flavoured

Me too.
Unless/until someone convinces me that there is ANYTHING of use in Windoze that doesn't have AT LEAST an equivalent in open source I'll stay where I am.
Faster fixes too, lots of "eyes on the code", fixes are a competitive pastime for many of the volunteer coders.

#2446353 - 07/31/15 09:12 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: R_B]
Dwscamel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By R_B
Originally Posted By Doritos Flavoured

Me too.
Unless/until someone convinces me that there is ANYTHING of use in Windoze that doesn't have AT LEAST an equivalent in open source I'll stay where I am.
Faster fixes too, lots of "eyes on the code", fixes are a competitive pastime for many of the volunteer coders.

Team Linux reporting for duty! I'm with you guys - so glad Pianoteq supports us.

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor

#2446465 - 08/01/15 08:58 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
In the process of upgrading now. My reason: I always have to have the latest version ASAP!

Greg.

#2446599 - 08/01/15 06:09 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
BeowulfX Offline

For those with plans to free-upgrade to Windows 10, you may want to check this article out: Rolling Back From Windows 10 to your older OS appears problematic
Keyboards: PX-5S PX-320 FA-06 Graphite 49 VST (PC & laptop): Pianoteq 5.3+Bluethner EWQL-SO AAS GS-2 LL EP4 + other virtual instruments DAW-PC: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 SSD HDD Delta 1010LT XMIDI 2x2 Sonar X3e Studio; MSI Laptop (live use): i7 4710 16GB RAM 250GB SSDx2 Forte Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2

#2446640 - 08/01/15 09:13 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Working fine (tested with Pianoteq 4 only so far), despite the fact that the audio driver for my (very old) M-Audio Fast Track Ultra doesn't list Windows 10 compatibility. (it does support 8.1 though, so I'm not surprised it still works)

Also, I don't know why the author of that article that BeowulfX posted says "The initial upgrade process itself is needlessly long and complicated, too." This is BS IMHO.

Installed on my old Dell M4500 laptop.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (08/01/15 11:12 PM)

#2446674 - 08/01/15 11:30 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I'm trying to find a reason to upgrade. What will I get? A new boot screen? A new version of IE that I'll never use? Support for Outer Mongolian fonts?

Even getting past that ... upgrades are often ill-advised because:

- The upgrade OS may require a heftier machine. Unless your box is a recent upper-range computer, it wasn't built with the new OS in mind. XP users couldn't migrate to Vista. Why should we expect 7 users to be able to upgrade to 10?

- You have to wizard your way through the h*ll that is device compatibility. Will your gear work? Will there be driver support? Or will you have to replace this part, that part, and the other part? (That "free" copy of 10 is not free after all. No thanks!)

- The new OS will likely be buggy. I prefer to let the leading-edgers take the risk. I'll come along when I buy my next computer, and I'll have the smoothed out SP1 or SP2 version.

#2446713 - Yesterday at 04:20 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: MacMacMac]
JoeT Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By MacMacMac
The new OS will likely be buggy. I prefer to let the leading-edgers take the risk. I'll come along when I buy my next computer, and I'll have the smoothed out SP1 or SP2 version.

Except that you won't have it.

As private consumer you will always get the newest and buggiest edition of Windows 10 installed automatically via the Internet with no option to opt-out from that. Windows will continuously send telemetry and crash log data back to Microsoft, so they know how bad it runs on your machine (you can't disable that either).

This way you will always test the "latest and greatest" Windows for Microsoft's enterprise customers, so these can get a bug-fixed and stable experience via the LTS program. This is not available to the general public.

#2446721 - Yesterday at 07:32 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What? No way to opt out of Windows 10? I'm already opted out.

What? No way to block the telemetry/crash data? Not true. Easily blocked if you wish.

#2446754 - Yesterday at 10:16 AM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: MacMacMac]
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm trying to find a reason to upgrade. What will I get? A new boot screen? A new version of IE that I'll never use? Support for Outer Mongolian fonts?

Even getting past that ... upgrades are often ill-advised because:

- The upgrade OS may require a heftier machine. Unless your box is a recent upper-range computer, it wasn't built with the new OS in mind. XP users couldn't migrate to Vista. Why should we expect 7 users to be able to upgrade to 10?

- You have to wizard your way through the h*ll that is device compatibility. Will your gear work? Will there be driver support? Or will you have to replace this part, that part, and the other part? (That "free" copy of 10 is not free after all. No thanks!)

- The new OS will likely be buggy. I prefer to let the leading-edgers take the risk. I'll come along when I buy my next computer, and I'll have the smoothed out SP1 or SP2 version.

You will STILL need daily "updates" (Haa, the M$ term for patching unfinished code) to get it to do the things that M$ didn't even THINK to test.
Plus "security" updates to patch each "hole" that users and hackers discover in the lace (more like fishing net).

I think there are more reasons to go straight to a Linux distribution than to backgrade to Win10, which will almost certainly carry more BLOAT and commercial "free trials" than ever - plus a few buggy new "functions".
Ubuntu Studio (for example) brings with it a LOT of audio and video packages, graphic arts too. You can select to not install any/all of those.
You can re-partition your hard disk with it and not impact Windon't, other than taking some free disk space for the new partition(s).

#2446808 - Yesterday at 12:46 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Lots of people and companies would move to Linux ... if it were easy.

But none of my apps will run on Linux. Few of my document files are fully compatible. And re-training is expensive.

If Linux had predated Windows the computing landscape would be different, eh?

#2446825 - Yesterday at 01:21 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: MacMacMac]
Lester Burnham Offline
500 Post Club Member

But none of my apps will run on Linux. Few of my document files are fully compatible. And re-training is expensive.

Unix did predate Windows, and was probably used on corporate desktops (at least large ones) before Windows took hold. May not have been run locally on the desktop, but all the same, there was a period when desktop computing was significantly served by Unix OSs - and quite likely, served by mainframe OSs prior to that.

Many corporates do use Linux (and proprietary Unix OSs), often at web layer level - and many actually pay for licensed and supported distros.

Truth be told, I find OS advocacy rather passe - I've worked with many, and at different levels, and as a techie, I may be as at home on Unix, Windows (of various flavours or levels), Mac OS, and some rather outdated mainframe OSs. In the home environment, I tend to use Windows because most of the apps I want, run most simply, on Windows - and as a techie, I can make Windows behave as I want.

#2446828 - Yesterday at 01:31 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: MacMacMac]
Doritos Flavoured Online   content

Loc: Brazil

it's so easy nowadays that you can even run it from Windows to play with it and decide if it's worth installing to disk

Quote:

are you sure. I've heard those excuses forever through all these years. Linux is better supported now than ever, with Valve's SteamOS and Android. Heck, even Microsoft makes money off it, both by claiming patent infringment and other such nonsense and having its share of illegal profit from other people work on android and by actually offering Office for Android. She won't offer it for desktop Linux of course, because that would be the end of desktop windows.

Quote:

Unix (the OS Linux is modelled after) predates it by a full decade before even when windows was just a window manager for the DOS that microsoft bought from other company.

anyway, enjoy your ad-infested solitaire...

#2446833 - Yesterday at 01:34 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Those pro linux debates get me wound up, the fanclubs as it were smile I don't have an either or attitude with linux or windows, so why not use both, I use both since both have their pros and cons for me and I use when it suits depending on application. It is a bit of a blinkered vision IMHO those Linux user extremists. I suppose we get the same debates with modelled versus sampled often around here laugh

For music I use Cubase for recording, it doesn't exist for linux, where is Ivory pianos, drivers for my audio interface don't even exist. etc etc. the list goes on.

That stuff about performance for average desktop use with modern distros that is pretty much old hat these days too, there is a lot more than just the Linux OS to run for typical desktop user these days. KDE or GNOME with all its bells and whistles is more of resource hog than windows often times, since the GPU drivers are just not there up to par with windows in terms of hardware acceleration, and it is not even utilised nearly in full with the open source GPU drivers. With the never cards they are in fact orders of magnitudes slower for serious work that usitilise GPU, that simply can't work for me, where robust CUDA/ OpenCL support is needed in my case as well.

The proprietary drivers for linux for Nvidia are pretty decent but will always be behind the windows ones, and the open source developers don't get the inside scoop from AMD or NVidia, so they will always be behind as long as that remains so. In fact when I bought my NVidia GTX 980 GPU there wasn't one Linux distro with an open source driver for it to even work at all, and for some time.

So different courses for different horses. I'll always be a dual boot man smile

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 01:43 PM)
Software: Ivory American D, Pianoteq, The Giant, Cubase 7 elements.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2446910 - Yesterday at 06:15 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
doremi Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nobody worried about privacy?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

The privacy issue is not limited to Windows 10, not even limited to Microsoft, as the other Internet giants such as Facebook and Google have similar wide-ranging Service Agreements as to privacy - VERY intrusive!

#2446920 - Yesterday at 06:33 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
RestfulCargo Offline

Hello pianoworld forum members. First time poster here. Nice to meet you all.

I use a laptop with Windows 8.1 for displaying sheet music on my piano (through a secondary touch screen monitor). With this in mind I tried Windows 10 recently and was disappointed to see they removed PDF Reader completely. This was my main application for reading music due to its excellent touch screen interface. I guess since Edge now takes care of displaying PDFs (or people install something else) Microsoft thought this program was no longer needed. This is kind of a deal breaker and forces me to look for alternatives yet again. This is particularly a sore issue for me. I was happy with PDF Reader (as simple as it may be) and hate having to go through the process of searching, installing, trying, and uninstalling programs again. For now I'll stay with Windows 8.1 but will check again in about a year (before the free offer ends).

#2446925 - Yesterday at 06:38 PM Re: OT: Windows 10 [Re: doremi]
Lester Burnham Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By doremi
Nobody worried about privacy?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

The privacy issue is not limited to Windows 10, not even limited to Microsoft, as the other Internet giants such as Facebook and Google have similar wide-ranging Service Agreements as to privacy - VERY intrusive!

Truth be told, no - I'm not that worried about privacy.

Least not with anything I'm using either online, or using "free" services, such as facebook, google et al

I've worked in the IT industry for decades, I have a reasonble feel for how to secure anything I'd truly be bothered about keeping private, other than that, I don't really care, really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Master's Degree Audition Program
by DonaldLee
08/03/15 04:18 AM
Henle Music Scores Photo Competition
by Piano Valentine
08/03/15 03:32 AM
Blues Piano Listening Suggestions Please (no vocals)
by tangleweeds
08/03/15 01:43 AM
Hot Stuff CA Glue Should Come as Single Use Tubes....
by Musicdude
08/02/15 10:26 PM
Homeless guy plays piano...
by Retsacnal
08/02/15 10:11 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,235 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,951 Topics
2,432,439 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission