2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Recital #39 is now open for submissions!

Believe it or not, it’s time for the 39th quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile Please note that the deadline is earlier this time, due to a travel conflict I have. The recital will be posted some time late on the 13th of August or early on the 14th, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Daylight Saving Time, August 13. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

Editing or digital alteration of your performance (other than minor edits such as trimming long silences at the end or beginning of the piece) is counter to the 'live recital' spirit of the AB Forum Recital and is thus strongly discouraged. In any event, any editing should be disclosed in the "additional information" section of the recital submission template.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that this URL reflects our new permanent home for all the recital files. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME on August 13, 2015.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

An AB Forum Recital FAQ thread exists that contains this and other information. Should you have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, do not hesitate to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

Last edited by AB Forum Recital; 07/30/15 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed wrong date
M
M
What, already? Ugh.

Btw before concrete it says May.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I'm not first! I'm not first!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang

Oh blast!! I thought you had gone first. Now I think I am. I'll trade ya. smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Moonsh1ne! I fixed the mistake. smile

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Peyton
Originally Posted by Whizbang

Oh blast!! I thought you had gone first. Now I think I am. I'll trade ya. smile

Heh. I hain't even recorded yet!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am in at #5. It feels good to have this done so I can move on to something else!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
It seems we have a slow start. Is that related to the earlier opening?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Not in my case smile I have been ready to record for a couple of weeks, in terms of piece preparation, but haven't felt like recording.
I will probably do it in the next day or so.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Submitted smile

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I spent the morning recording a piece I thought I could play better, only to find that the original recording was better than the few I made today! I know every nuance of this piece so well by now that listening to myself playing it is excruciating. A note too soft, a chord too loud, an ugly diminuendo... Yet I would be happy if I played like that in front of people! Pretty sure they wouldn't notice all that. So I'm in with that recording. Just don't listen too intently wink

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm nowhere near happy yet - definitely won't be in the front of the pack this time. I really loved that feeling of having my piece recorded before the submission window opened but this time I *need* these two weeks :-)

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dammitt!!!! Thought it started 1 August . . . . Was determined to be first!! You started without me . . . . . tiki tiki Beware of flying dummies . . . (some people call `em pacifyers . . .)

Mind you, my piece isn`t THAT good . . . . blush

Last edited by peterws; 07/31/15 07:43 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Originally Posted by peterws
Dammitt!!!! Thought it started 1 August . . . .

Obviously I haven't written enough posts in large fonts and scary colors. The thread opened early because the deadline for this recital is one day earlier due to a travel conflict I have.

laugh

My ambivalence regarding which Einaudi piece to submit was resolved when I listened to both recordings and realized that for one of the pieces I was a full two minutes longer than Einaudi's version. eek Clearly it's back to the drawing board and some solid metronome work with that one. crazy

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Dammitt!!!! . . Was determined to be first!!

Yea, well.... being first isn't all it's cut out to be. There is a lot of pressure and responsibility involved. grin (Not to mention that now everyone will think I hovered around the computer just waiting for the "call for submissions" to appear. It was a coincidence... I swear!! I was heading to bed and was shutting off my computer when I took one last glance at the forum and... I didn't want to be first but also felt like getting the submission over. So... hear I am... leading the pack. Sigh.)

Last edited by Peyton; 07/31/15 01:20 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Monika, IMHO checking the metronome speed is not the way to check if your piece is ok. But yes if you feel it's a drag then maybe it needs more practice

Oh, I don't try to play the whole piece to the metronome, wouter. Einaudi uses too much rubato for that to work. But I had thought I was playing at the proper tempo, when obviously I wasn't. I'll play along with the metronome enough times to internalize the correct tempo and then just practice on my own.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
> 9. peterws - hjkl ()

You lost the composer and title of your piece?

Or is it too explosive to release yet?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Monika I didn't imply playing along with metronome. Instead I was wondering if metronome speed is your yardstick for quality

Heh! Just got the darned thing in. The rest`ll follow. Eventually . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission