2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

can someone tell me what these markings indicate i mean the markings at the begging and end seem like s letter with slash and double dots on it and the word "FIN".

do i have to play the whole piece from beggining to end and return to the beginning again from the sign at the end ?

Last edited by Batuhan; 07/31/15 01:44 AM.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
yes that's I think what the composer wants.

FIN means the end

I suppose the composer wants you to repeat a part.

So when you reach the end of page 1 where that mark is, you go back to the start of the page where the other copy of that mark is, and then play on till FIN.

Its more usual to use words like "Da Capo" and "del segno" or "del desno al fin" or something like that in these cases.

> begging, beggining
LOL check your spelling, begging is something else

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
yes that's I think what the composer wants.

FIN means the end

I suppose the composer wants you to repeat a part.

So when you reach the end of page 1 where that mark is, you go back to the start of the page where the other copy of that mark is, and then play on till FIN.

Its more usual to use words like "Da Capo" and "del segno" or "del desno al fin" or something like that in these cases.

> begging, beggining
LOL check your spelling, begging is something else

so i have to stop at fin its like end of piece? but after repeat

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes FIN is the end, but after the repeat.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
BTW I'm sure you can play the 2nd page note perfect smile

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wouter79
BTW I'm sure you can play the 2nd page note perfect smile

LOL

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The sign at the end of the page is incorrect. What should be there is the instruction dal segno al fine or DS for short, go to the sign and play to the fine.

DS Wiki article

Richard
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
oh, those italians and their prestissimo segnos...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
I wonder if this is from someone who's been using one of those music notation programs for the computer. It looks like the instructions overlaid on the sheet (the S sign and the FIN) aren't quite complete. These instructions are customarily in Italian, and FIN would normally be 'FINE', meaning 'end'. The S sign is a kind of bookmark, so when you see it, you know that a little further on down the line, you're going to be asked to go back and play from the S mark again. Here, I'd have expected to see 'Dal Segno al Fine' (or shortened to DS al Fine) at the end of the page. So, you start at the beginning (always a good place to start), play right through to the close, and there you get the next instruction, 'DS al Fine', meaning now go back to the S bookmark, and continue till you get to 'Fine', and then stop.

If this is a single page of sheet music, I wouldn't expect to see the S mark at the start, I'd only expect to see that used further into the music. If you've to go back to the beginning, that's normally written like 'Da Capo al Fine' (or 'DC al Fine'), meaning 'go back to the beginning, and play on until the 'Fine' mark.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In older music you can find da capo al fine or al fin. I don't know why but in my old Italian books I found both. The notation on the op screen doesn't look right to me. There is no double point for the repetition and the double "s" doesn't make any sense to me.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Purkoy
I wonder if this is from someone who's been using one of those music notation programs for the computer. It looks like the instructions overlaid on the sheet (the S sign and the FIN) aren't quite complete. These instructions are customarily in Italian, and FIN would normally be 'FINE', meaning 'end'. The S sign is a kind of bookmark, so when you see it, you know that a little further on down the line, you're going to be asked to go back and play from the S mark again. Here, I'd have expected to see 'Dal Segno al Fine' (or shortened to DS al Fine) at the end of the page. So, you start at the beginning (always a good place to start), play right through to the close, and there you get the next instruction, 'DS al Fine', meaning now go back to the S bookmark, and continue till you get to 'Fine', and then stop.

If this is a single page of sheet music, I wouldn't expect to see the S mark at the start, I'd only expect to see that used further into the music. If you've to go back to the beginning, that's normally written like 'Da Capo al Fine' (or 'DC al Fine'), meaning 'go back to the beginning, and play on until the 'Fine' mark.

i did little bit research and i found Fine is FIN in french and D.S or Dal Segno can be shown as also S mark with slash through it so i think the book i study like to use abbrevations but you are true it's confusing at first

so i have to play this piece from beginning until the second segno and return back to first segno sign and again play it until FIN and end it

Last edited by Batuhan; 07/31/15 05:18 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission