Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
53 registered (Bachus, barbaram, 36251, anamnesis, AndrewJCW, 14 invisible), 807 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2446386 - Yesterday at 12:02 AM quality digital piano
dbelmont2 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hello All --

I am looking to buy a digital piano for gigging in bands. I want something that has a very good acoustic piano sound (it doesn't have to be amazing (I have Ivory 2 running in a MUSE Receptor for that) and it needs to be light. I will be playing it through a QSC K8 powered speaker. I seem to have heard that some of the Yamaha P series digital pianos are quite good - and that some of the Nord pianos are good as well.

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Dan Belmont

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2446462 - Yesterday at 08:46 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Most people would say the Nord is the best sounding of the lightweight boards, but it's also priciest (i.e. $2499 for the Nord Piano 2HP), and as you say, you don't necessarily need the best sound. The Casio PX-5S would be a strong choice at under $1k, and arguably actually has a better action. Either of these are quite light at around 24 lbs.

#2446463 - Yesterday at 08:49 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

You'll need to state your budget for best answers.

Since you're using software pianos, your main features affecting your choice is a keyboard action that you like to play on, and low weight. Take a look at the Casio PX-160, 360, or PX-5S (in price order, low to high). All have the same action. But the sounds sets, fx, and speakers change as you go up in price. All are light. The PX-5S is 24lbs and the sound set is competitive, meaning if you prefer to leave your Receptor at home on occasion you won't miss it.

#2446490 - Yesterday at 10:32 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: ElmerJFudd]
dbelmont2 Offline

I can spend up to $3000 ... How is the action on the Nord Piano 2 HP ? Has anyone heard the Yamaha CP4 and if so what do you think of the sound and the action ?

Thanks !

#2446499 - Yesterday at 11:07 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
peterws Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I reckon you just found a niche market. Might be a big one . . . .the highest price "portable" gigging pianos weigh such a lot. Seems if you want a good piano keyboard, it pushes the weight way up. Would be good to have a separate keyboard and module box. Like, back to the 80`s!

What goes round comes round. Somebody said that.

""

#2446501 - Yesterday at 11:12 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By dbelmont2
I can spend up to $3000 ... How is the action on the Nord Piano 2 HP ? Has anyone heard the Yamaha CP4 and if so what do you think of the sound and the action ?

Most people would say that the CP4 action is much better than the Nord Piano 2HP. Which one is better sounding would be more debatable. They are both among the best sounding DPs. The CP4 is much heavier, though, at 38.5 lbs.

#2446507 - Yesterday at 11:41 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
The Nord piano has access to the Nord piano library which has samples of many different acoustic pianos (both grands and uprights -- by brands such as Yamaha, Kawai, Fazioli, Petrof, Bosendorfer, steinway, etc...) whereas I think the CP4 has only 3 or 4 available sample sets, all from yamaha's own acoustic pianos (someone will correct me if my understanding is in error i'm sure). So in terms of piano sound, the nord piano probably offers you much more flexibility. But if you're mainly driving virtual instruments like Ivory, then probably the action may be the primary consideration. I really like the Nord action, but the yamaha action is probably more authentic feeling (compared to acoustic pianos). So that may be a better choice for you. It's definitely worth playing both of them yourself to decide which action you like best.

#2446534 - Yesterday at 01:07 PM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
ElmerJFudd Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you're lugging the Receptor around you might also be thinking controller instead of DP.

http://www.studiologic-music.com/products/midi-controllers.html

K4 or K5 controllers
http://www.viscountinstruments.us/digital-pianos.html

#2446680 - Today at 12:05 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
dbelmont2 Offline

Hello All --

Thanks for the replies .. to be clear - I want to find a light digital piano with a very good piano sound to use at gigs instead of my Receptor ... I am looking for something that has the acoustic piano sound onboard ...

Thanks

#2446691 - Today at 01:41 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
dbelmont2
In that case there are several contenders that might be suitable. The Roland RD-800 might also be worth a look. It has an absolutely phenomenal action (among the most realistic feeling actions available on a DP) and a variety of supernatural piano sounds (the supernatural sounds are very configurable letting you "dial in" your own customized piano sound). it's really an amazing all around board.

The kawai MP7 might also be an excellent all around choice. I think most would probably rate the action of the Roland as superior, but some would surely disagree and you might be one of them. It would be worth play testing to see if it meets your needs.

The aforementioned boards, Nord Piano, Yamaha CP4, and Casio PX-5S all have their own strengths and weaknesses and any of them might be just what you need. Your needs and preferences are going to be so individualized all we can really do is point to boards that might have a good shot at being what you need. Check the specs, listen to demos, and when you narrow it down to the most likely contenders then try to find models you can play yourself to make a final determination. good luck!

#2446715 - Today at 05:29 AM Re: quality digital piano [Re: dbelmont2]
wdco Online   content

I have both the RD800 and the CP4. The Yamaha is easy to work into stage mixes and sounds good but the piano dynamics are compressed requiring volume adjustments during our performances. The RD800 sounds more raw than the CP4 but the dynamics are not as compressed as the Yamaha. It's downside is the short decays which can be covered somewhat. Either piano will work fine but you will have better control over soft play with the Roland if that matters to you. Like yourself, I use a computer based piano on stage but wanted to experiment with something "in the box" to see if I would be satisfied with it. Both are okay, but neither is up to what is possible with software.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can Anyone Help with Getting Students via my Web Site?
by Publishing Guy
Today at 02:39 AM
My visit to the Steinway Piano Gallery to assess pianos
by shirlkirsten
Today at 12:16 AM
Famous pianists who were not child prodigies?
by deckard
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Tips for removing leather key bushings?
by machineintel
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Help choosing a digital baby grand
by Or Moyal
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,214 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,925 Topics
2,432,079 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission