Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (accordeur, AmandaH, AndrewJCW, 36251, 34 invisible), 1381 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2447439 - 08/04/15 10:46 AM New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Edmonton Alberta
We Launched 4 new HP/LX pianos today.....

The new LX-17, the successor to the LX-15E.

http://roland.ca/products/lx-17/

The New LX-7, the successor to the HP508

http://roland.ca/products/lx-7/

And the HP605/603 which are successors to the HP506 and 504 respectively

http://roland.ca/products/hp605/

http://roland.ca/products/hp603/

You're probably going to have more questions that I can answer at this point.

The Upgrades to Action (PHA-50) and SuperNATURAL Sound Engine (Complete modelling) are significant.

I'll have my hands on these for the first time on August 10th, when I go to head office...I am sincerely excited about those two days!

Please ask any questions you might have and I'll do my best to answer this evening when I return from Launching these to my local piano retailers.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (08/04/15 12:34 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2447444 - 08/04/15 10:56 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
IgorLevit Offline

Loc: France
Since there is an expert here, I allow myself to quote my own message, which I posted on another topic. Maybe you can answer the two implicit questions that I had in this message, about speakers and hiding the screen on the LX :

"Where is the Roland HP607 or something like that ?
It seems a significant downgrade for me to go from a DP with 60W*2 + 10W*2 (my HP507) to a DP with 30W*2 + 7W*2 speakers, which are also much more little. There is exactly the same downgrade from LX15e to LX17 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--yVVAtjcUo ) I hope this is a mistake on their website, but it really seems quite appealing for the rest of the features, especially the enhanced super natural adding modelling technologies. They are also talking about an enhanced resonance of the cabinet, which may explain the poor speakers. If it had been possible to hide the lcd-screen on the LX-17, I would have bought it, but I think I'll go with the HP605 since I need to change my DP for keyboard reasons, and I didn't like the Kawai and Yamaha I tested."

Since I used my HP507 as a hifi channel (I plugged my CD/SACD reader to it), I am really concerned about speakers quality. I don't care about loudness, I use only low volumes, I care about the sound's density.
Also, can you confirm that there is still that middle position which allows to have the keyboard open while hiding the screen on the HP605, just like on the HP507 ?

Thank you very much

Edited by IgorLevit (08/04/15 10:59 AM)

#2447456 - 08/04/15 11:26 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

Let's make sure everyone is clear here.

The LX-7 is the successor to the HP508...

The LX-17 is the successor to the LX-15E....

The HP603/605 and LX-7 all have a classic lid position...(that's what we call it)

I would reserve judgement, if I were you, on the wattage and speakers, until you sit in front of the pianos and play them.

I'll have my first opportunity to directly compare next Monday.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (08/04/15 11:31 AM)

#2447461 - 08/04/15 11:34 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
IgorLevit Offline

Ok, I didn't see the LX7 (in fact I looked at the other topic, where mention was made about the others, and I did not really read what you write, I am sorry for my mistake). Too bad that DP is so ugly to me, that kind of hybrid design seems really strange to me, I wouldn't buy something like that.
It was though kind of confusing because the HP605 seems to have exactly the same size as the former HP507/508, and when I look at the specs, seems like there is no difference at all between HP605 and LX7 except the cabinet.

#2447473 - 08/04/15 11:55 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Personally, I appreciate Roland's effort lately to make DPs look more classic like an acoustic upright than how most DPs look (which is unassuming and boring, IMO). Especially with a polished ebony finish, it's quite sharp!

And one should never judge a DP based on specs alone. Some matter, and some such as wattage and size of speakers, can be affected by other thing, so best to test in person.

#2447480 - 08/04/15 12:17 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am looking forward to some hands on time next week. I will definitely report back with my impressions.

Jay

#2447502 - 08/04/15 12:45 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Hendrik42 Offline

Loc: Germany
The HP 508 was polished black, LX-7 is no more?

#2447507 - 08/04/15 12:51 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Hendrik42]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By Hendrik42

Looks like you can choose between 3 finishes: polished ebony, brown walnut, and contemporary black. I believe they have the contemporary black pictured on the site.

#2447508 - 08/04/15 12:52 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Hendrik42]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By Hendrik42

Follow the link and see. Sheesh! Ok, there is a polished ebony version.

#2447511 - 08/04/15 12:55 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: IgorLevit]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By IgorLevit
Ok, I didn't see the LX7 (in fact I looked at the other topic, where mention was made about the others, and I did not really read what you write, I am sorry for my mistake). Too bad that DP is so ugly to me, that kind of hybrid design seems really strange to me, I wouldn't buy something like that.
It was though kind of confusing because the HP605 seems to have exactly the same size as the former HP507/508, and when I look at the specs, seems like there is no difference at all between HP605 and LX7 except the cabinet.

This aesthetic is a personal and subjective opinion. But like Morodienne I prefer a console DP to look like an upright piano, and not some ugly undetermined piece of furniture with keys. smile

#2447517 - 08/04/15 01:00 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: spanishbuddha]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By spanishbuddha
Originally Posted By IgorLevit

This aesthetic is a personal and subjective opinion. But like Morodienne I prefer a console DP to look like an upright piano, and not some ugly undetermined piece of furniture with keys. smile

LOL at "undetermined piece of furniture with keys". Is it a table? Can you sit on it? Is it a TV stand? Personally, if I buy a piano, I want it to look like a piano and to stand out as a fine piece of furniture. Or go in the opposite extreme and have a piece of electronic equipment and work with that into your decor.

#2447533 - 08/04/15 01:29 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Pete14 Offline

"Complete modelling."

I assume this means no sampling.

Are we talking V-Piano type modelling?

#2447549 - 08/04/15 02:07 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
siros Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
From the spec:
Quote:
Piano Sound
SuperNATURAL Piano Modeling

Max. Polyphony
Piano: Limitless (solo playing using ‘Piano’ category tones)
Other: 384

Interesting laugh

#2447552 - 08/04/15 02:23 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Hendrik42 Offline

Sorry for that. The different finishes of the LX-7 are under media: http://roland.ca/products/lx-7/media/

And, yes, lets hear more about the "complete modeling" part.

And did prices show up yet anywhere?

#2447562 - 08/04/15 02:43 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Acoustic pianos look this way because they have strings, huge actions, etc. I don't see a reason why a digital piano should look like an upright or grand if it doesn't need that specific form. Form should follow function and not the opposite. Of course that's my personal opinion smile

#2447571 - 08/04/15 03:02 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
IgorLevit Offline

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Roland-LX7-Digital-Piano-Polished-Ebony/1C74

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Roland-LX17-Digital-Piano-Polished-Ebony/1C78

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Roland-HP605-Digital-Piano-Polished-Ebony/1C71

Therefore the price of the LX7 is quite high compared to the price of a HP508, while the HP605 comes closer to it, being more expensive than a HP506.

I was talking earlier about the fact that the LX7 has kind of an hybrid look. Some of you said "I prefer a console DP to look like an upright piano". But it doesn't look like an upright piano, there is that weird fact that the keyboard cover is not a classic keyboard cover but the same kind you have on basic DPs. I think that it ruins the design, because when you hide the control panel (and maybe even more when you don't), you get a kind of 3 part object that seems weird to me. DPs like the HP508 are not random pieces of furniture, they simply have a grand piano design cut before the lid, again with that strange looking keyboard cover. But it seems to me that this kind of keyboard cover is more easily accepted with a grand piano height than within an upright piano design.

#2447583 - 08/04/15 03:35 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Pete14 Offline

Have y'all noticed that the HP605 is the HP506 re-arranged. What's up with that, Roland?
Did they run out of number combinations? I'd be fine with an HP777, but I'm gonna have to pass on the "605." Sorry, Roland.

#2447584 - 08/04/15 03:36 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
proteal Offline

Quite impressive how quickly Roland cranks out new actions and sound technology. But I wonder why they still don't offer a full pivot length key like Kawai GF. Anyway, can't wait to give these a try, I might upgrade from my F130R.

#2447593 - 08/04/15 03:52 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: proteal]
Pete14 Offline

Originally Posted By proteal
Quite impressive how quickly Roland cranks out new actions and sound technology. But I wonder why they still don't offer a full pivot length key like Kawai GF. Anyway, can't wait to give these a try, I might upgrade from my F130R.

The trick is that the "new" Roland actions are re-packaged versions of the same old action (folded) mechanism; whereas a Kawai-type action is a true improvement on the status quo, and would cost Roland mucho dinero to develop.

#2447600 - 08/04/15 04:16 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
I wonder, why in the short description of "SuperNATURAL Piano Modeling" the phrase "physical modeling" is nowhere to be seen?

There is a mentioning of "unique modelling process".
I'd like to know more about the inner workings of this.

#2447603 - 08/04/15 04:24 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

i will be asking about the new modelling technology during some upcoming meetings at head office, as I am curious as well. Apparently we'll have access to all the new models at that time.

But I'm not in those meetings until August 10th and 11th... I will share what I can afterwards.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (08/04/15 04:25 PM)

#2447622 - 08/04/15 05:05 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
I am completely amazed. Still trying to take my jaw from the floor. The sound is perfect, something, what I was waiting for... While the previous series was not at all convicting with its sound... The new one... I am speechless... And that La Campanella... kudos to Roland!

And, I want hear more! More samples and pieces. Love the sound. And look. Since very first touch and look.

#2447623 - 08/04/15 05:14 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
pmh Offline

Loc: South Coast UK
Hello Jay, these new models are really most intriguing and impressive. If anyone can develop the pure modelling for DP's its going to be Roland give their long track record. I have always thought modelling was the way forward long term and I can't wait to here you impressions later this month.

#2447626 - 08/04/15 05:18 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Yes, but I am interested in hearing how the piano sounds through the speakers. In a marketing video, the recorded sound usually always sounds amazing.

#2447649 - 08/04/15 06:07 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Poland
There is only one thing I don't get. How it is, that LX-7 has two 25cm speakers, while the HP605 only two 12cm? Why not the 16cm? Hopefully, it will not affect too much the sound, but it is really sad frown and I cannot understand the great gap between those two pianos in the woofer section. the piano would have more base and a bit darker and most of all much richer sound with them, but, well, Kawai is the same.

Only Yamaha is giving 16cm speakers in their CLP series.

Besides, they are perfect. Oh, and why the 605 is so high, it will not fit under my window level lol laugh

BTW, is there any possibility to download that LaCampanella in the MP# / FLAC / WAVE, r any other format? I would like just to hear it through my music software than youtube.

Of course, the printfoot of modeling is hearable, but, still, it sound awsome. completely awesome.

Edited by kapelli (08/04/15 06:10 PM)

#2447657 - 08/04/15 06:53 PM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Jay Roland Offline
500 Post Club Member

At this point, I won't speculate until I've heard both the 605 and LX-7 side by side.

if I've learned anything over the years, it's not to judge an instrument on it's specifications. i would rather judge it on the overall package.

Especially as it's related to speakers and wattage....our little Micro Cube is only 2 watts but consistently is louder and can outperform other solid state amps that are 10 watts.

The measure of its performance far exceeds the specifications.

i don't know about the music being downloadable. I'm sorry.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (08/04/15 06:54 PM)

#2447747 - 08/05/15 02:29 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
Kudos to Roland for the pure modeling being further developed and put into more pianos, not just the V-Piano. So it seems Roland are the sound leader now and Kawai are the action leader. It's bad we don't have both in one instrument... I hope Roland will be able to integrate more realistic piano actions with longer keys someday and Kawai will switch to modeling smile

#2447750 - 08/05/15 02:36 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Hendrik42 Offline

@IgorLevit thanks for sharing the price links!

Wow, the 603 is over 2000 EUR. Even if that drops just under 2000 EUR, it would still cost more than the Kawai CN 35 and even that the Kawai CA 17.

How would that be reasoned?

Any estimates when they will show up in stores?

#2447829 - 08/05/15 10:30 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
IgorLevit Offline

Some stores say end of september. The website I quoted seems a bit more expensive than Thomann for example.
But that reinforces my confusion about the HP605 : same design as the HP508, same size and same price as the HP508. The LX 7 is almost 1000€ more expensive than the HP508, it can't be a replacement, this is not the same category of buyers. Bad call to keep the poor speakers of the HP506 in the 605, it would have been a good match for me with the 508's speakers.

#2447845 - 08/05/15 11:18 AM Re: New Series of HP and LX Pianos from Roland [Re: Jay Roland]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Do the new models differ only by the speaker system (and cabinet design)?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Back to School Music SALE!
Save 10% in our online store
Just enter SAVE10 in the coupon box during checkout. *
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
* Sale does not apply to advertising, how old requests, or any non-tangible items. Can not be combined with any other promotions. Ends August 31, 2015
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just leveled-up
by PDizz
7 minutes 34 seconds ago
Interval reading
by My Bucket List
17 minutes 53 seconds ago
Double-striking keys on Petrof II grand
by doctor S
Today at 08:57 PM
Fixing Ivory Keys (more like chiseling them down)
by AmandaH
Today at 08:22 PM
Suggestions for book of classic film music?
by shamuball
Today at 06:52 PM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,543 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,463 Topics
2,439,715 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission