2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 95 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 94 95
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
So is the decay longer than previous HP/LX models? I really think decay time is the biggest problem for DPs. I hate it when notes die out before they should. Why did Roland leave out the adjustability of the decay? It's pretty much the first thing I want to change when I play with the sound. So frustrating! I would so buy one if it had this feature. Are you listening, Roland???

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Will all of the future Roland pianos be completely modeled in respect to acoustic piano sounds? What's the cheapest fully modeled Roland piano right now?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ando Given the lack of the decay time parameter, I really scrutinized the decays, and found them to be long and natural.

Perhaps a future firmware update could happen if enough users decide it's something they need, and ask for it? I don't know.

Until then, I suggest that when they ship, you find a store with these models in, and you play them and decide for yourself.

CyberGene i don't know the future. So theres no way I could speak to that.

The HP603 currently stands as the most inexpensive home piano that has this new piano sound engine. I don't know pricing in your region.

Jay

Industry Consultant
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks. Is it expected that the price of the new pianos will be similar to that of the models they replace when they were introduced? I mean, is the fully modeled sound engine and accompanying electronics bringing a premium price tag over the replacement models?

I
I
What about the lower models LX-7 and HP605, compared to the LX-17 ? It seems to me that you talked only about this one in previous comments. I would like to know how they stand in terms of speakers. Prices are starting to appear, for example woodbrass France sells the HP605 2500 euros in black and 3000 euros in polished ebony, which is exactly the prices at which they sold the HP508. LX7 is sold 3500 euros in black and 4100 euros in polished ebony, that is quite higher for a replacement.

D
D
Originally Posted by lolatu
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
Jay Roland's review is music to my ears.

A fully modelled piano, for sub £4000 in a traditional case is much more than I could have hoped for. The lack of the more extensive sound editing tools of the V-Piano & Grand isn't a factor for me and I suspect most home DP purchasers.

I cannot wait to demo this instrument. Well done Roland!

"Review" is a funny way of putting it. Jay works for Roland, and his job is selling Roland pianos. There's zero chance of him saying anything critical of the new models. He would say it's the best ever even if it wasn't. So let's just take any facts and specifications we can, and leave the editorializing and evaluation to less partial observers.

Even a biased review is a review. What is your point exactly? Jay's enthusiastic review of the LX-17 makes me want to demo it ASAP. That is all I said and it is true.

The controls being the same as on previous models suggests that things under the hood aren't really that different to before.

No it doesn't.

The proof will be in the A-B comparisons of the same MIDI file that hopefully someone will make and upload

This is a bizarre position. What on earth can you learn from listening to a MIDI file that wasn't created on the same instrument? Absolutely nothing. A good musician is not just playing a sequence of notes in the right order but listening to the sound coming out of the piano and responding to the feedback.

(though it can't fully replace the experience of sitting down and experiencing it for yourself).

It cannot replace that experience at all!

I'd have liked to have seen the guts of the V-piano simply re-packaged, with all the customization therein retained. If you're going full-modelling, why do a half-assed job of it by leaving all the controls the same as in the previous version, hence failing to demonstrate any benefits from the new approach?

How many assumptions in one go!

In any case, first of all, I will not be buying a DP to listen to it. I will be buying one to play and so the test of quality will be playability, musicality and versatility for a wide range of, in my case, classical music.

I really don't care too much what is under the hood or how editable the presets are. Decent EQ to adjust the sound to the acoustics of the room will be enough. If I were a music producer or sound engineer then the V-Piano / Grand would possibly be the better option to fine tune the sound for maximum effect but my need is to play music written for piano on a responsive instrument and have an experience that is so compelling and immersive that I completely forget that I am playing an instrument that is electronic and not acoustic.

Some are better than others but I have yet to achieve that feeling with any sampled instrument, including my own very worthy FP7-F. The closest I have come to that experience is with the V-Piano which is why I am so excited that this refined modelling technology will shortly be available in a more accessible form and at a more accessible price.

Certainly it would annoy V-piano owners who have spent thousands on their instrument, but really, how many of them are there? wink Maybe the V-piano Lite will still see the light of day? That said, we're still awaiting a replacement for the FP-80, so who knows what Roland have up their sleeve.

Why would anyone be annoyed about the release of a new musical instrument? Do you imagine that Yamaha Grand Piano owners were annoyed by the release of the CFX? A musical instrument doesn't cease to be a musical instrument because a new model has appeared and in any case it would be pretty ignorant to expect a company to cease all innovation once you have bought one of their products.

I really do not understand this naysaying before you have even had a chance to demo the instrument for yourself. Really what is your problem?

@CyberGene, in the UK, the cheapest modelled Roland is the HP603 which retailers have priced at approximately £1500.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The LX-7, HP605 and HP603 all sounded and felt fantastic fantastic. They share the same action and core sound engine as the LX-17....

The differences in the speaker systems were more than slight, but the overall package was very very pleasing on all three of those models.

I cannot speak to pricing strategies employed by any other country than my own.

Edit: I'm out on dealer calls all day now. I'll check in later.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Roland; 08/12/15 01:11 PM. Reason: addition

Industry Consultant
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry, just another question wink It is a more general one and I guess you might not have an exact answer but at least you may have heard something or have a rough idea. On a traditional sampled piano, such as my current Kawai, the manufacturer has started with real samples from a real piano. What they have is a bunch of samples per key which they map to certain velocities. In that process often there's something that gets lost. It is the way the original piano timbre changed, related to the exact original velocity, which on its turn depends on the particular weight, inertia, etc. of the original keyboard. In other words, the original link between timbre change curve (so to speak), sound amplitude curve and keyboard velocity is often lost. There is timbre and dynamic variation, you can change the touch, but not independently.

My question here is if it is possible to change this on the new pianos? And who prepares the default touch curves, timbre variation ranges, sound amplitude ranges and the exact mapping between the three? Do you use some measurements from real pianos, do real pianists provide feedback?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Jay, where I am coming from is that I think, as others here, a fully modeled sound is a big deal :-)

And it does not seem to be the same thing as in the V-Piano, right? So I think the industry, the community, the customers that care would like to hear some details.

How, if, is this different to V-Piano? Or is this "just" moore's law shrinking the chips and the price from V-Piano level?

Can customers expect "System Program Upgrades" like with the V-Piano?

Why has the V-Piano a polyphony limit and the new system does not?

Of course, the proof is in the playing. I'll be sure to do that when they show up here.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
P
P
Hi Jay,
Thanks for the info. Do these new models also have modelled EP's? A modelled Rhodes would be cool...
Thanks

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
....It doesn't in any way diminish the significance of the V-Piano as the first fully modelled hardware piano.....

Whoa there!

And the first fully modelled hardware piano is?

As a Roland man I expect you to know the answer Jay.

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Why is the hp605 around £700 cheaper than the lx-7? They both share the exact same specifications.

Also I would be very cautious to these new marketing words on modelling, I don't trust it's going to sound better in any way as opposed to a good sampled piano, it's more about the player and what they can get out of the instrument, now all we will hear from roland is how sampled instruments are so outdated and inferior to modelled ones, it's just a cheap trick to get your attention.

This roland sales chap is only going to say how amazing they are lol, obviously.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
....It doesn't in any way diminish the significance of the V-Piano as the first fully modelled hardware piano.....

Whoa there!

It's in your signature! Good old structured adaptive synthesis!

Jay

Industry Consultant
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Providence
Hi Jay,
Thanks for the info. Do these new models also have modelled EP's? A modelled Rhodes would be cool...
Thanks

I don't think so. The sounds are recognizable from the previous series...still good....but not modelled.

Jay

Industry Consultant
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
Why is the hp605 around £700 cheaper than the lx-7? They both share the exact same specifications.

Also I would be very cautious to these new marketing words on modelling, I don't trust it's going to sound better in any way as opposed to a good sampled piano, it's more about the player and what they can get out of the instrument, now all we will hear from roland is how sampled instruments are so outdated and inferior to modelled ones, it's just a cheap trick to get your attention.

This roland sales chap is only going to say how amazing they are lol, obviously.

If I had concerns, I would share them.

You may not trust now, but I am very confident that when you sit down to one for the first time, you'll enjoy the experience...

I cannot speak to the price difference in your country on the two models....cabinets are not cheap to design and build though.

It's not Roland's style to criticize our competitors instruments....rather we would rather tell what makes ours not only unique, but outstanding....

Industry Consultant
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well I'm planning on getting an rd800 by Roland, perhaps I should wait for the similar priced hp605 as it's clearly going to be so much better with the new modelling technology.

P
P
Originally Posted by Providence
Hi Jay,
Thanks

I don't think so. The sounds are recognizable from the previous series...still good....but not modelled.

Jay

Cheers

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Whoa there!

More like a young child's play-doh creation than an actual model surely? Very nice indeed but hardly a representative model of reality.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
Jay, where I am coming from is that I think, as others here, a fully modeled sound is a big deal :-)

I agree. But I don't know that the PW forums necessarily represent the majority of digital piano buyers. I'm here to help spread the word and help answer questions.

And it does not seem to be the same thing as in the V-Piano, right? So I think the industry, the community, the customers that care would like to hear some details.

How, if, is this different to V-Piano? Or is this "just" moore's law shrinking the chips and the price from V-Piano level?

As I've said, I don't know that those details will be forthcoming. I have questions of my own. I may not get all the answers I want. Even as an employee. The difference is, I understand that some things won't be released as public information.

Can customers expect "System Program Upgrades" like with the V-Piano?

Not sure, as things come up, quite possibly...

Why has the V-Piano a polyphony limit and the new system does not?

Not sure the deep dark details, but it sure speaks to the power of the new sound generation chip that I mentioned above...

Jay

Industry Consultant
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando
So is the decay longer than previous HP/LX models? I really think decay time is the biggest problem for DPs. I hate it when notes die out before they should. Why did Roland leave out the adjustability of the decay? It's pretty much the first thing I want to change when I play with the sound. So frustrating! I would so buy one if it had this feature. Are you listening, Roland???

Yes, the above is absolutely correct as Roland has missed a very important feature in the new models by not having a "Decay Time" editable parameter available.

One of the only reasons I have kept my V-Piano is on account of being able to lengthen the "Decay Time" parameter otherwise all other DP's are just a stick in the mud (i.e., trash) without it.

I was hoping this feature would have trickled down into the LX-17 or some other model but it was not to be. Roland has missed the boat by not incorporating the most important features into their new pianos.

As it is the V-Piano is the ONLY digital piano at this time that has sufficient decay and I am not so happy with the mediocre sounds, either.

"Bosendorfer" presets -- Vintage II -- V-Piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ewq6NgYpxA

Scott Tibbs is an excellent pianist but he sure doesn't have it right that the "Vintage II" presets sound anything like a "Bosendorfer" Imperial concert grand.

What a joke -- the modeling is very poor in this regard as I can testify to this issue having owned a V-Piano for several years now and I simply will not make use of the Vintage II presets as they sound downright horrible.

I also bought and own a Clavinova CLP-585 which has a far better Bosendorfer sample than what is in the V-Piano:

https://app.box.com/s/vwmwyfgdf17ap4aeih9fi289hv5hgxod

https://app.box.com/s/85w0sme9pddio6r2l4d5op9gdkzzd7xv

There are other PW members that have given away their V-Piano(s) due to the poor quality of the modeling. I haven't done so as of yet but things aren't looking very good in that regard.

Roland should get their act together and develop a new modeled V-Piano with reasonable sounding presets. This modeling still has a long way to go to sound right.

Page 6 of 95 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 94 95

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission