Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Anne'sson, AndrewJCW, acortot, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, 25 invisible), 1037 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2447449 - Yesterday at 11:11 AM Choosing between Kawai models
dave11235 Online   content

Hi all,

Almost 10 years ago (!) when I was still a student, I posted here for digital piano buying advice. I ended up following recommendations for a Casio PX-110, which at the time turned out to be the perfect option for me in terms of overall value, convenience, portability, etc. So a long-overdue thanks for helping me back then!

Ten years later, I have a decent job, a bigger budget, a permanent place to live, and much better piano skills. I took lessons for 10+ years as a child, then practiced very little for several years, then began playing informally on the PX-110, and in the last few years have started being a bit more serious, e.g. taking lessons again. I mostly practice these days on the (old, lower-end) acoustic grands at the local university. The PX-110 is good for practicing fingerings, etc., but not very good for technique -- my piano teachers explicitly have warned me that I shouldn't rely on digitals for learning or practicing technique.

So I'm thinking about upgrading to a new digital piano that would have more realistic touch, so that I can practice at home. Great sound is good too, of course, though I can't imagine ever using the piano for serious performances or recordings -- I'm just an amateur. I mostly play classical so do not have much need for fancy digital features. I might use them if I had them though, I guess. And finding something that looks decent in my living room would be good too. My maximum price point is around $2000 probably.

I know that eventually I need to visit a dealer to try some in person, but I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest dealers for most models are ~2 hours away. So I want to do as much homework ahead of time as possible.

After much, much reading on here and elsewhere, I'm mostly considering Kawais for no particular reason except that I like playing their acoustics and they generally get good reviews. Beyond that, I'm pretty confused about all of the differences between models. It's easy enough to find the specifications online but much harder to figure out which features I would actually use and notice, and which I wouldn't.

My top candidates at the moment are the CN-25, the CE-220, or the ES-7, roughly in that order. I wonder if anyone has compared these head-to-head and has any comments? I understand the CE-220 has a bit older action and sound, but has wood keys -- is that something that is really important in practice?

(Also, just as a sanity check, I assume that any of the above are going to be noticeably better than my old PX-110, right? Do you think they are realistic enough to address my piano teacher's skepticism about using digitals to practice technique, or should I really be considering acoustics instead?)

Sorry for long-winded note -- thanks to anyone who has comments!

David

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2447463 - Yesterday at 11:35 AM Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: dave11235]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Yes, you are in a totally new world with your budget and recent advances made in the last 10 years in digital pianos.

One question: is there a reason you haven't looked at an acoustic upright? Practice room pianos are notoriously in terrible repair and not necessarily the best to practice on unless you don't have any other options - worse than your PX-110, IMO.

I think in your budget you can find a good upright from someone who is in need of selling, but it may take some time to find a good deal.

If an upright is out of the question, then I think any of those DPS would work, but the ES7 is a slab-style, so it won't meet your needs for a nice-looking piece of furniture.

The wood keys really make no difference in feel or sound, so I personally wouldn't choose a DP for that reason. The most important thing is the action, and you'll have to test them out to see what works best for you.

So plan a day to go visit a dealer, maybe make a trip out of it - find a restaurant to try out, go sightsee, etc. Bring a pair of headphones with you in case there are other people there playing, but also you will want to listen without headphones as well. Bring a couple of pieces of contrasting music if you don't have them memorized and take your time in testing them out. Best to not buy right-out while you're there, but go home, write down what notes you remember about each one, and sleep on it. If one doesn't stick out as something you absolutely love, then continue your search.

#2447642 - Yesterday at 05:48 PM Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: Morodiene]
dave11235 Online   content

Thanks very much, Morodiene!

The acoustic question is a very good one. I would honestly love one but I felt like the digital would be more practical, since I could for instance play it at night without disturbing anyone. I also feel a bit overwhelmed about buying an acoustic, in terms of finding a used one, knowing whether it's in good shape, evaluating whether it's a good deal or not, etc., and also in maintaining it (especially since my house is a bit drafty and temperatures and humidities seem to vary a lot). But this anxiety is probably all misplaced and I should probably reconsider.

It sounds like in your experience, for a player of my type, a used acoustic would be the way to go?

Thanks!

David

#2447646 - Yesterday at 05:57 PM Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: Morodiene]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Originally Posted By Morodiene
Yes, you are in a totally new world with your budget and recent advances made in the last 10 years in digital pianos.

One question: is there a reason you haven't looked at an acoustic upright? Practice room pianos are notoriously in terrible repair and not necessarily the best to practice on unless you don't have any other options - worse than your PX-110, IMO.

I think in your budget you can find a good upright from someone who is in need of selling, but it may take some time to find a good deal.

If an upright is out of the question, then I think any of those DPS would work, but the ES7 is a slab-style, so it won't meet your needs for a nice-looking piece of furniture.

The wood keys really make no difference in feel or sound, so I personally wouldn't choose a DP for that reason. The most important thing is the action, and you'll have to test them out to see what works best for you.

So plan a day to go visit a dealer, maybe make a trip out of it - find a restaurant to try out, go sightsee, etc. Bring a pair of headphones with you in case there are other people there playing, but also you will want to listen without headphones as well. Bring a couple of pieces of contrasting music if you don't have them memorized and take your time in testing them out. Best to not buy right-out while you're there, but go home, write down what notes you remember about each one, and sleep on it. If one doesn't stick out as something you absolutely love, then continue your search.

Great advice. thumb

#2447672 - Yesterday at 08:03 PM Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: Morodiene]
Kawai James Online   content

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By Morodiene

Yep, great advice! wink

I like the suggestion of building a day trip around visiting dealers' stores and play-testing various instruments. A two hour drive is nothing to be sniffed at, but if you use the trip to also explore a different city, have a nice meal, go shopping, etc. it's not so bad.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2447677 - Yesterday at 08:13 PM Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: dave11235]
Kawai James Online   content

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By dave11235
My top candidates at the moment are the CN-25, the CE-220, or the ES-7, roughly in that order. I wonder if anyone has compared these head-to-head and has any comments? I understand the CE-220 has a bit older action and sound, but has wood keys -- is that something that is really important in practice?

Of the three instruments, the CN25 has the most modern keyboard action: 'Responsive Hammer III' with graded hammers, Ivory Touch, triple-sensor, let-off, and counterweights in all 88 keys. The ES7's 'Responsive Hammer II' action is a little older, and lacks the counterweights. The CE220 utilises the venerable 'AWA Grand Pro II' wooden key action. This uses older technology, and consequently lacks the Ivory Touch, triple-sensor, and let-off, but does have counterweights attached keys in the bass region. However, despite its maturity, the long, solid wooden keys and seesaw-like movement of the action do feel incredibly realistic. This same keyboard was used in the MP8II stage piano and other leading 'Concert Artist' models of the time, and remains a very well regarded keyboard action, despite lacking some of the more modern features.

I hope this helps - best of luck with your search!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2447793 - 32 minutes 13 seconds ago Re: Choosing between Kawai models [Re: dave11235]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By dave11235

It sounds like in your experience, for a player of my type, a used acoustic would be the way to go?

It may be worth looking into.On this website is a link for the Piano Buyer. If you click that you can read about things to look for in an acoustic piano. When you find what you think may be a good deal and you've checked it out personally, before you buy you should have a piano tech look it over. If you take lessons your teacher should be able to recommend someone. You will have to pay for them to check it out, but you will have the peace of mind that you are getting a good deal. Don't go based off of what someone you haven't paid says the piano is worth, because you don't know if they are being accurate or just trying to get more for it.

Edited by Morodiene (19 minutes 9 seconds ago)

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach Fugue - Hearing 3 Voices
by Raindrops
08/05/15 12:41 AM
Floating the pitch
by Bourniplus
08/05/15 12:15 AM
Question for memorizing left hand
by zyxwvu
08/04/15 11:08 PM
Bo's twin for sale (Bosendorfer 225 deal!)
by twocats
08/04/15 07:16 PM
Which great pianists of the past were notoriously nervous?
by pianoloverus
08/04/15 06:10 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,266 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,000 Topics
2,433,140 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission