Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (anotherscott, antwilk, Alexander Borro, acortot, 36 invisible), 1434 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2447483 - Today at 12:22 PM High end piano suggestions
elendil Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi,

Yes, it's another one of those threads, sorry.

I've been waiting for the Yamaha N3 to be updated for some years, but I've finally realized that it won't be, until about a month after I've purchased something else.

I was looking at the N3 because of the action and the sound system (the physical part, not the samples): I want the best possible action and I don't care much for head phones. I wasn't willing to shell out 18500 USD for such outdated samples, however.

I'm primarily looking at Yamaha, because I think highly of their build and software quality (robustness and usability, I guess). Such things are important to me, and perhaps more important than cutting-edge sound systems.

Anyway, I've got money to replace my CLP-340 with, and I'm going to visit one of the big shops in a couple of weeks to decide whether there's anything good enough out there, so I'd appreciate a little head's up if there's anything in particular I should look out for.
I've read what I can about the CLP-585, which is generally positive. The same goes for the N2, but I'm a bit... unwilling to spend that amount of cash on (such) an outdated sample set (I'm not into the whole PC software piano thing).

I just now read that Roland has put out new pianos, and I'll be sure to read the forum to see when anyone (more or less impartial) get their hands on them. They sure look good, but I'm generally not a Roland guy. I don't think I can explain why, to be honest, except to say that they feel more keyboard than piano like to me as a whole. I know that's very unscientific (and probably somewhat wrong as well).

So, what do I look at? I don't understand the Yamaha release schedules, but is there anything upcoming? Reason to think the N3 is updated soon? New CLP series?

EDIT: I haven't mentioned Kawai, because they don't really exist here in the Danish market.

Edited by elendil (Today at 12:23 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2447490 - Today at 12:30 PM Re: High end piano suggestions [Re: elendil]
Hendrik42 Online   content

Loc: Germany
Here you can see the history of the CLP and other Yamaha models: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinova

As you can see, they are pretty much on a three year cycle, like Kawai and others. Last refresh was 2014, so expect the next refresh in 2017.

Kawai did the CN series in 2014, the CA series in 2015 and will probably refresh the CS series (e.g. CS10 level, just with a CA97 in the real piano cabinet in black polished) next year.

#2447515 - 57 minutes 30 seconds ago Re: High end piano suggestions [Re: elendil]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I wouldn't say that Yamaha is really cutting-edge. They are stable and safe, but pretty slow to advance technologically. Definitely the new Rolands are worth checking out. I'm very curious as to how they've improved their action. I haven't played any of the new Roland actions, so I can't comment unfortunately, but I do believe that they are competitive and worth trying.

If there's any way you can try a Kawai (VPC1, CA or MP11) near you, I think you'd really like the action.

#2447524 - 40 minutes 52 seconds ago Re: High end piano suggestions [Re: elendil]
MacMacMac Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Morodiene is right. Yamaha moves slowly. Very slowly.

Even their three- to four-year cycle on the CLP and CVP models doesn't change the pianos very much. Mostly new shiny exteriors with the same innards.

Note: The Avant Grand series seems to change even less frequently. Has there ever been even one upgrade/replacement for the N1, N2, or N3? I don't think so. That's likely because the market is small. Very small. So, combine the low demand for change with Yamaha's normal slowness ... and I'd not expect an N3 replacement for a long time.

#2447543 - 2 minutes 20 seconds ago Re: High end piano suggestions [Re: elendil]
elendil Offline

Loc: Denmark
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

@Hendrik

Thanks for that. I guess that means I shouldn't wait for a new CLP, at least.

@Morodiene, MacMacMac

I think I may have worded myself clumsily. What I meant to say was that I know Yamaha isn't cutting-edge. The opposite, perhaps. I was trying to say that a general feeling of quality wins over (lack of) cutting-edge technology. Sometimes, at least. For me. I was under the impression from reading the forum that the CLP-585 had a good action and decent sound system, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I notice Dewster has given it a look and found that it's still looped, though.

Sadly, Kawai is not well represented here. I think I found an acoustic dealer at some point that also had a few (not high end) Kawai digitals, but that's about it. There's no problem in purchasing them, but trying them first is difficult. I only have that kind of faith in Yamaha (as strange as it may be).

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Reading widely spaced notes?
by Nicholas Mihaila
08/04/15 01:47 PM
Need Advice! How to send off antique Howard Baby Grand?
by Cynthia Seiler
08/04/15 01:27 PM
[OT] I'm moving (away from Greece!)
by Nikolas
08/04/15 01:24 PM
Can anyone please help me figure out this piano part?
by sfgiantsfan28
08/04/15 01:16 PM
High end piano suggestions
by elendil
08/04/15 12:22 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,249 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,986 Topics
2,432,892 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission