2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Joy112 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Greetings.....I have been reading the forums here for awhile now and finally joined. Thank you all for the wonderully informative posts. I am learning alot and just purchased Larry Fine's books. Right now, I am the very proud owner of what a very reputable piano technician described as the " worst piano he has ever come across in all his years of tuning pianos." I am so proud of having this distinction. lol

I purchased this Marshall Rose baby grand from a piano dealer on eBay. I knew nothing about pianos. I thought a piano was a piano. Little did I know! It was able to be tuned to a point up until last month when I was told it was ready to be junked.

I have a limited budget of about 5 grand. We want another baby grand and have shopped around a little ( Northern NJ) and had an awful experience at a piano dealer which seemed much more like shopping for a car. ( same tactics)

I just found a listing on craigslist for a used Altenburg Baby Grand( 21 years old) for $3200. I emailed the owner. She said that it was played rarely and was really a decorative piece.

web page

I read that not using a piano is not a good thing. It has been tuned regularly however. Should I pass on this one because it has been played so little or is it worth having it checked out?

BTW...I play very little ( started lessons as an adult) My 10 year old son has been taking lessons for about 2 years. The piano is mainly for him.

Thanks for reading all of this! Appreciate any input.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The best used piano money that you can spend is that spent for a prepurchase inspection by an experienced tech who has no affiliation with the seller. You can probably locate techs via your local Yellow Pages. Please start trying to locate a tech now, then make an appointment to audition the piano.

The recent tuning and the included followup are good things.

In general it's tone, touch, appearance, then price. Buy the piano, not the deal. If you ears do not like the tone of this or any other piano, that instrument has no value.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I agree with FogVille - Have the piano checked out first by a good tech. How about the one who made the pronouncement on your Marshall Rose? He didn't pull any punches.

Being un-played would not necessarily be an issue. Some people buy Steinways because their decorator recommended it. I would be more worried about the environmental conditions that it stayed in. This is where the tech can help in his assessment.

BTW - What is the length? "Baby Grand" actually means nothing and I can't guess from the angle in the photo.

Others can give a better assessment on the asking price. I know nothing about Altenburg. Can you do a little bargaining? But, having a follow-up tuning provided on a private sale is quite unheard of.

All in all, it might fit your needs very well.

Marty in Minnesota

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
As an aside - From the photo, the piano looks beautiful. If it is really a lacquer finish, I personally prefer that to the look of the poly finishes currently used on all but the finest instruments.

Marty in Minnesota
J
Joy112 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wanted to thank you both for your kind replies .Unfortunately, someone who had previously checked out the piano called the night before I was to see it and made a full price offer. Oh well...guess it was not meant to be. So..my search continues....
Thanks again...

M
M
Hello Joy112,

I'm checking with someone to see what's in stock. You're near my area.

Off the bat, I see a like new 5'2" Young Chang... asking price is $7500... Mahogany Polish, but let me check some things out 1st.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
M
M
Joy112,

There's three grands in your area around what you were looking for:

1) Samick, used for $4990

2) Hallet Davis, new for $6590

3) 5' Weber, 8 years old for $5500

Please private message me for more info.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission