Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (ando, armani, beeboss, anamnesis, AndrewJCW, 22 invisible), 1054 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#2454569 - 08/28/15 12:55 PM Mainstage 3.2
Leonid Online   content

Trying to use MainStage 3.2. The problem is that after 2-3 minutes of playing any instruments pops and glitches starting. Tried two different keyboards(Casio, Roland), same thing, so problem is not in the keyboard i think. Is anybody experiencing same issues and if yes, is there any solution? Thanks for your recommendations.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2454592 - 08/28/15 02:33 PM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Frédéric L Online   content

Loc: France
I don't have MainStage, but I get some pops or glitches when loading too much virtual instruments (or other applications).

I think a CPU problem would be quite fast to appear (a virtual instrument doen't need more CPU with the time).

With the memory, it is different. If the system need too much memory, it could steal some from an available applications, then with the time, a virtual instrument could be unloaded little by little from the memory... and when a sound is required from it, the hard disk wouldn't be fast enough to reload the bit of virtual instrument needed.

It could be interesting to see with a monitoring application the memory taken by MinStage after the load of every virtual instruments, and compare it after the first glitch. If the memory has decreased, this could come from memory needs of your system and could explain the problems.

NB: I can have some problems even with many free memory... but I use Windows, end don't know if this could apply to Mac OS.

You could also try increasing the buffer size of your sound card... but it won't be sufficient if the problem is about the available memory.

Edited by Frédéric L (08/28/15 02:38 PM)

#2455384 - 08/31/15 09:56 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I did a little experiment by creating a Mainstage concert with the new Alchemy synth on one patch, Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 on another, then added the Mainstage Steinway, KV331 Synthmaster 2.7 and the Studio Grand from Addictive Keys and last the Mark I Rhodes from Mainstage. All played flawlessly and the only glitches I heard was a few in Addictive Keys Studio Grand. I sometimes I get glitches in that one playing it standalone so I'm not blaming Mainstage for that. The computer was a 2.5Ghz 13" MBP and 4GB of memory, this laptop is the last model that still has the superdrive. So I'm very happy with the performance, some of those are real memory hogs especially Omnisphere!

I would never load a concert up like that in real life. I have 4 sets I have created concerts for they mostly have bread & butter keys (EP, AP & Organ) some songs split or layered and a few synth patches. I also have a few songs in there using Amplitude amp & effects sim for my guitar. Each song has an accompanied backing track usually very minimal which I created in either Reaper or Logic. For this Mainstage works flawlessly, I use this setup for a duo.

Edited by Kbeaumont (08/31/15 09:57 AM)

#2455918 - Yesterday at 02:52 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Leonid Online   content

The problem is that even haven't connected the external instruments. Just tried MainStage Steinway and Electric piano - glitches all the time. tried all possible settings(problem exists even with buffer 1024, reinstall also didn't help).

Macbook I have is New MacPro with i7 and 16gb Ram - powerfull enough.

What operation system are you using?

#2455984 - Yesterday at 09:54 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Leonid, maybe some other apps or system processes are reducing the resources available to MainStage? Try watching Activity Monitor to see what other processes are using a lot of CPU when MainStage is running.

MainStage also offers a way to monitor system resources used by itself and whatever plugins and VSTs might be running. More info in this helpful thread at Keyboard Corner:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710065/1

#2455987 - Yesterday at 10:00 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yosemite 10.10.5, I'm using an external USB audio interface a Roland Duo Capture EX. I'm using a single standard midi cable into the Duo capture from my Roland FA-08. I have also used a Casio PX-330 and a Yamaha MOX8 all connected the same way into the interface, no issues. And yes, you should have more than enough power there. My buffer is set to 256.

#2455998 - Yesterday at 10:20 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: slowtraveler]
Leonid Online   content

Will check, but the thing is I've put MainStage on totally clean machine-first program installed on Mac. Another thing is that i'm checking in mainstage CPU and Ram levels - it doesn't seems overloaded at all, hardly 10%.

One more - all other applications i put after work flawlessly - Pianotteq, Kontakt - no single glitch.

#2456097 - Yesterday at 02:41 PM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By Leonid
Will check, but the thing is I've put MainStage on totally clean machine-first program installed on Mac. Another thing is that i'm checking in mainstage CPU and Ram levels - it doesn't seems overloaded at all, hardly 10%.

If it's a completely fresh OS X install, maybe Spotlight is still doing a bunch of indexing and affecting disk I/O? Also, not that it should matter for using a small number of built-in instruments, but are you running MainStage from an SSD or 7200rpm HD?

#2456181 - Yesterday at 08:14 PM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: slowtraveler]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I use Mainstage without problems so I'm baffled by your troubles. Just so you know what you should expect, I typically have the Vintage D (Kontakt), Ivory II American D, and True Keys American loaded simultaneously as a single Concert and switch between them instantaneously without any glitches or pops.

I believe you mentioned using Kontakt standalone without problems? If so that would seem to eliminate a problem with MIDI and your keyboard, although you may need to set up the MIDI mapping for Mainstage. You are also using an external audio interface (which I don't use) so perhaps there is a driver problem between that interface and Mainstage? Have you actually tried Mainstage with Kontakt plug-in (do you have Vintage D for instance?)?

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2456249 - Today at 02:29 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Macy]
Leonid Online   content

1) I use internal SSD. it's fast. very very fast in new Macbook pro.

2)Macy, I'm using built-in audio, without any interfaces, so it shouldn't be problem with drivers. I haven't tried MainStage with kontakt, I have tried it with Modart pianoteq - which as standalone works fine and without any issues. but in mainstage start glitching. Without any effects, without something special. it's drives me crazy a bit. smile as no any settings are making changes. I starting to think may be Apple tested MainStage 3.2 with new OS X, El Capitan, and that's why there are problems. Apple Discussion group full of posts telling that people even couldn't load concerts.

Macy, Are you using 3.2 version or previous one?

Edited by Leonid (Today at 02:30 AM)

#2456257 - Today at 04:13 AM Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Leonid
1) I use internal SSD. it's fast. very very fast in new Macbook pro.

2)Macy, I'm using built-in audio, without any interfaces, so it shouldn't be problem with drivers. I haven't tried MainStage with kontakt, I have tried it with Modart pianoteq - which as standalone works fine and without any issues. but in mainstage start glitching. Without any effects, without something special. it's drives me crazy a bit. smile as no any settings are making changes. I starting to think may be Apple tested MainStage 3.2 with new OS X, El Capitan, and that's why there are problems. Apple Discussion group full of posts telling that people even couldn't load concerts.

Macy, Are you using 3.2 version or previous one?

I just updated to latest 3.2 version a few days ago when it was released. Yes, there were(are) problems loading Concerts made with previous version, but once loaded there are no performance issues. The older concerts would hang when loading the AU plugins (Kontakt, etc) but after finally getting one to load and re-saving the concert after opening the plug-ins to make trivial changes, everything has worked correctly since.

I'm using latest released OS 10.10.5 Yosemite. I'm at a loss trying to think what your problem might be. Pianoteq has no sample streaming so I really wouldn't expect it to have any glitch problems. It's basically purely CPU intensive. No external audio interface so that's not a suspect. Seems like it may be a MIDI problem, but you don't see it using standalone Kontakt so that's hard to explain. I don't know. I'll let you know if I think of anything to try.

Edit: Just thought of this. When you first get Mainstage it loads HUGE libraries of samples. That could take hours with slower connections. Is that happening in the background? Perhaps it could interfere and cause glitches?

Edited by Macy (Today at 04:20 AM)

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#2456276 - 44 minutes 21 seconds ago Re: Mainstage 3.2 [Re: Leonid]
Leonid Online   content

Agree, was also thinking about it, but no, all MainStage I wanted to get were already on my Hdd when I started checking. So, also lost and a very confused. Also thought that it could be usb midi data cable - changed 3 of them - same thing. really, don't understand where is the issue, will keep trying. thank you for your time, if you have ideas let me know, please.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bad to visually memorize chords?
by Fatih
37 minutes 20 seconds ago
Showing signs of...
by johan d
Today at 06:35 AM
Help with KAWAI CE-7N
by dominic70s
Today at 02:54 AM
Concert tuning or not
by TheTuner
Today at 01:19 AM
Had to Pass on some Work Today.....
by Musicdude
Today at 12:30 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,605 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,643 Topics
2,441,551 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission