2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kenan Offline OP
OP Offline
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msd/5160848251.html only two photos but I will see if I can see it next month because, we have alot of things going on lately.

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
I've been playing piano with a teacher
since January '15
Studying under Eunmi Ko of USF as of June '16

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
Kenan Offline OP
OP Offline
Bump

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
since January '15

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Kenan,

I see you've bumped your own thread twice already. Nothing in the rules against that, but I'm not so sure there is much else to be gained for you here in this thread.

The title of your thread is new pianos under $5000, and you've gotten some great advice from some of the knowledgeable regulars, and then you posted about a well-used Steinway A on Craigslist.

I say buy the piano you love and can afford, and not what someone else loves and can afford. smile

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Kenan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rick, I was just bumping to see if anyone else replies.
Sadly it is a well used Steinway frown

Last edited by Kénan; 08/27/15 08:26 PM.

-Kenan
Pearl River EU122 48"
since January '15

My Youtube Channel

My Soundcloud

I also love Astronomy
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yeah that piano looks like a piano that requires a full rebuild. It's not something that will make you play better - it will make you play worse. A fully rebuilt one is a different story, of course, but that isn't. The price is way too high for its condition, but then, Steinways are usually priced much higher than their musical value by the time they get to that age.

YAMAHA Artist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by joe80
Yeah that piano looks like a piano that requires a full rebuild. It's not something that will make you play better - it will make you play worse. A fully rebuilt one is a different story, of course, but that isn't. The price is way too high for its condition, but then, Steinways are usually priced much higher than their musical value by the time they get to that age.
And as some of them are before they get to that age. smile

Last edited by Carey; 08/28/15 08:18 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yes tell me about it! I know someone who has bought a Blüthner style 8 (6'3 aliquot strung) from 1896, in completely original condition. Of course it was a wonderful piano, of course it is from one of the world's best makers, and of course it has a great deal of potential in the right hands.

This particular example has no tone left in the treble, it has tubby bass, and it can't project at all, so it's a bit like chewing on cotton wool. The store technician claims that re-shaping the (120 year old) hammers will bring the tone back to the treble (....) and that the piano should be good for a lifetime (it's HAD it's lifetime....).

The price they paid? £5000, which is about USD 7700. I mean, honestly, I held my tongue when I found out but it was hard.... The piano is worth a maximum of £2000 in its present condition. Yes, I know you could buy it at auction for £1200 or perhaps less, but there would still be the commission, possibly VAT, and transportation from the auction house to this particular city (which if using www.pianoauctions.co.uk would be about 450 miles), which would probably end up being £2000 all in.

The man who chose the piano is a surgeon (could have bought a new Steinway, actually) and doesn't play, but his daughter got to grade 5 or something, and in his opinion this Blüthner is the most beautiful piano he's ever seen or heard...... Oh well....

YAMAHA Artist
$5000? I'd be looking for top-shelf uprights, like a Yamaha U1. Or Steinway or Bosendorfer et al.

Last year, I sold a near-perfect U1 for $4000. No, it's not a grand, but it was a very fine instrument. $5000 buys you a heckuva lot of upright.

When you go to grands, you're mostly looking at various baby grands, which are basically uprights laid flat.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hi Kenan,

I see you've bumped your own thread twice already. Nothing in the rules against that, but I'm not so sure there is much else to be gained for you here in this thread.

The title of your thread is new pianos under $5000, and you've gotten some great advice from some of the knowledgeable regulars, and then you posted about a well-used Steinway A on Craigslist.

I say buy the piano you love and can afford, and not what someone else loves and can afford. smile

Just my .02.

Rick

I'll add .02 to that.

Whatever you buy, you need to get the best piano you can afford, which probably won't be a Bosendorfer - unless it's a dying Bosendorfer. When I was your age, my parents bought a new piano - the most basic KAWAI, which, 45+ yrs later is still going strong (at my brother's home). No, it wasn't a Bosendorfer, but it was something I could seriously practice on until I left home and was married.

Most of us buy pianos in steps - starting with something affordable, upgrading over our lifetime. I was almost 60 when I bought something in the league of a Bosendorfer. Yes, I dreamed of a Bosendorfer when I was 25, but it wasn't a priority - or possible.

So, yes, buy the piano you love and can afford. Then enjoy playing it till you wear it out - which will be a long time.

Last edited by backto_study_piano; 08/29/15 03:07 AM. Reason: minor change

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission