2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I very much liked your performance and sense of rubato. The only part I didn't find to my taste was the very opening phrase in the right hand. Although your rubato was very original and beautiful, I think it was too extreme for the very opening of the piece.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Pianoloverus, I am glad that you liked my performance. At the same time I completely respect the fact that you found the opening phrase was not played to your liking. Please notice that it is absolutely my intention to play it that way. To me, there are virtually no boundaries in how to interpret a piece of music. As long as one doesn't change the notes and rhythms, and everything played is natural, beautiful and making musical senses. To be very honest with you and this is by no means an exaggeration. every piece I played I have at least 5 to 10 completely different versions how I can play them. It all depends on what I want to emphasize and what effects I want to achieve. Let me give you an example, I can play the nocturne No.19 in three and half minutes. I can also play it in six minutes. Both are equally beautifully but in different ways. Anyways thanks again for listening to my music and please look out for more because I will keep them coming!

Last edited by Samuel Puan; 08/31/15 06:10 PM.
Originally Posted by Samuel Puan
To me, there are virtually no boundaries in how to interpret a piece of music. As long as one doesn't change the notes and rhythms, and everything played is natural, beautiful and making musical senses.
But when one uses extreme rubato one is, in effect, changing the rhythm. I think most teachers would say that the first time a theme is introduced it's better to play it straight. Also, if rubato is overdone I think it becomes tiresome and inappropriate.

If one plays a piece allegro when it's marked adagio one is changing the piece and the composer's intentions. So I think there are limits to interpretation of classical music and one cannot just play as one feels like unless one is just playing for himself.

S
OP Offline
S
Every piece I played I put a lot of thinking into it. Why I am playing is entirely for my own happiness, and nothing else. If people appreciate, I am happy. If they don't, I am absolutely fine with that. Even at my level, I never tried to critique other's playing because unless I think I can play that piece so well and I know it inside out, I don't feel I am qualified to judge. I understand you are not trying to critique. You are just expressing your views, that's why I responded to you. I hope you will respect my right to express my views too even though you disagree. My understanding of musicality unfortunately differs from most 'teachers'. My job at the piano is to bring the most beauty out of each and every piece and play it with joy. Very simple. I don't want to start an argument, all I am trying to say is I will stand by my interpretation. Thank you

Last edited by Samuel Puan; 08/31/15 07:15 PM.
Thanks for posting. This is one of my favorite Chopin nocturnes. I enjoyed your interpretation.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Music > thumb

Outfit > sick

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think you have a very beautiful sound and conception of this piece. I tend to agree with pianoloverus, and while you are right that there are many, many ways to play a piece, the rubato in the beginning was a little extreme to my taste. Of course, it's just my taste! I feel that since it's the very first iteration of the theme, I like the idea of kinda "easing" into it if you want, but maybe not doing anything too crazy with the theme. I think even with the use of rubato, the tempo could be a little steadier (the B section is overall faster than the A section, but Chopin never indicated to change tempo), but I love your dynamics, shaping, and tone. Interestingly enough, the faster tempo in the B section allowed you to have very good direction, but that same good direction can be achieved at slower tempos as well.

This is only my opinion, and thank you for sharing! You play very beautifully. This is my second favorite nocturne by Chopin (my favorite is 27/2, D flat major). Please post more here!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission