2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
I am learning too, so I am wondering about doriangrey's skills.
crazy

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
not an easy task on equal temperament

easier in past times when each key was unequally tempered and had their own quirks in intervals

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
C
C
Doritos Flavoured, are you saying absolute pitch recognition is relative pitch recognition? What are you saying?

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Stubbie
When you hear a piece of music played, can you identify the key it's in without seeing the score? Of course, many pieces feature changes of key along the way, but just in general, can you pick out the key when you hear music?

How about if you hear a scale being played, can you identify the key?

My primary instrument is violin. If a song or tunes starts to play, I can quickly ascertain the key and play along. And because a violin has no frets it doesn't matter if the tune is a semitone sharp or flat, I'm there.
I can't do this with a piano. Nor can I just hear a tone and name it. I don't value that as a skill. As you might imagine, what I can do comes in quite handy.

nada
D
D
Originally Posted by LindaR
Doriangrey, can you narrow the note or chord or key to one in one or two octaves??

If I understand you right, I can usually identify the note when hearing it to the key, and chords I can narrow down to the octave and the mode.

C
C
If I understand you right, I can usually identify the note when hearing it to the key, and chords I can narrow down to the octave and the mode.

Thanks. This is what I am working on. Dorian, I am not sure which male singer you were referring to.
Pitch and timing are coordinated..maybe that is why the drummer had a good ear--he is on the beat. I'm going to humm. confused

I really don't know if I have this ability, cannot say I have ever taken any notice... will have to have a listen to some random tunes and see if I can guess the key they're in without even touching the piano/keyboard smile

I have the ability to know roughly where on the piano a tune should be based just by listening, but knowing the key with 100 certainty... I honestly cannot say I've ever tried.

Last edited by UKIkarus; 09/04/15 10:11 AM.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
For that matter, if I hear a tune in the car, I like and wish to play on the piano, I will likely transpose it into D or G. If I find out the original key, I may or may not move it. I used to think people wrote in weird keys, but most of the time they only mess with the pitch. Moving A to 448, 450, or some such frequency.

Last edited by Farmerjones; 09/04/15 04:57 PM.

nada
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LindaR
Doritos Flavoured, are you saying absolute pitch recognition is relative pitch recognition? What are you saying?

I'm saying in past times it was likely easier to know because each scale in unequal temperament had different intervals, thus each scale had it's own "character"

with equal temperament, they're all equal regarding intervals, so unless you do have perfect pitch, you won't notice which is which.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
C
C
DoritosFlavoured-It probably has been discussed already here but I thought perfect pitch perhaps was learned like running, walking, listening or other skills are learned and perfected by environment so I then exclaimed maybe it is just relative pitch!
smile

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I can only tell if something is in D major because my right ear is sensitive to the movement between the C sharp and the D an octave above middle C. It's very annoying especially listening to the many violin concertos written in D major.
I haven't got a clue apart from that.

C
C
I'm saying in past times it was likely easier to know because each scale in unequal temperament had different intervals, thus each scale had it's own "character"

Maybe I only did a half-hearted search but I couldn't find a just intonation scale, only interval examples, when I went looking for this "character". Thanks for the information. maybe I can use another instrument.
#I am confused..more walk less talk.

Last edited by LindaR; 09/05/15 03:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission