Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, AmandaH, 8ude, 36251, 35 invisible), 1460 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2455972 - Yesterday at 09:21 AM Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced
Mike_Martin Offline

Loc: Between Chicago and NJ, USA

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2455976 - Yesterday at 09:31 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- looks like this could move things along quite a lot...

#2455992 - Yesterday at 10:06 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Thomas B Offline

The action looks phenomenal! At the price point of $4000 for the GP-300 and $6000 for the GP-500BP this will put serious pressure on the Yamaha AvantGrands, what do you think? Infos on the sound engine are sparse and I would guess that there won't be any profound news in that area...

Edited by Thomas B (Yesterday at 10:06 AM)

#2456002 - Yesterday at 10:29 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Qaroll Offline

Loc: Warsaw, Poland
It just had its premiere in Poland:
http://www.muzykuj.com/testy/instrumenty-klawiszowe/casio/casio-gp-500-premiera,570.html

Three grand piano samples - nice.

Edited by Qaroll (Yesterday at 10:32 AM)

#2456029 - Yesterday at 11:26 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Pete14 Offline

This is great!

I honestly expected this from Kawai, but Casio? A hybrid? WOW!

#2456031 - Yesterday at 11:41 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Casio has really lifted its game over the last few years. Good to see them pushing the big guys. Looking forward to trying one of these babies. I only hope the samples match the action. Hopefully they are new samples not heard before on previous models and nice long samples with minimal looping and long decays.

It's an unusual looking action - not a pure acoustic action by the looks of it. Time will tell how it plays, but having Bechstein involved sounds promising.

#2456042 - Yesterday at 11:56 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Hybrid under the magnifier, feast your eyes on that, it looks the part smile

edit: Lol Ando beat me to it

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 11:57 AM)

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2456047 - Yesterday at 12:22 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: ando]
dire tonic Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By ando
Casio has really lifted its game over the last few years. Good to see them pushing the big guys. Looking forward to trying one of these babies. I only hope the samples match the action. Hopefully they are new samples not heard before on previous models and nice long samples with minimal looping and long decays.

As someone who likes the option to use a VI the action alone could clinch it for me. If they can also provide a no-compromise input for VIs to exploit its own sound system this could trounce the competition.

#2456049 - Yesterday at 12:24 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: ando]
Alexander Borro Offline

Originally Posted By ando

It's an unusual looking action - not a pure acoustic action by the looks of it. Time will tell how it plays, but having Bechstein involved sounds promising.

In that polish youtube video it looks quite springy/bouncy when he plays it, is that good/bad/desirable ?, I have no clue with my beginner status laugh

The second sample where he plays the Hamburg preset sounds very much like my AP-450 ( on the default grand piano preset ) as far as I can tell, perhaps there are some changes, but it sounds so similar when I stick the same phones into my celviano that I used to listed to the youtube video.

To put it in context, the changes on pianomanchack videos demoing the px-30 series versus the px-50 series, it very easy to hear the differences. Based on this video, at least for the Hamburg preset I struggle to hear if there is anything significantly different in that sound sample compared to my AP-450, I did that test just now.

That is not to say there isn't not having experienced the instrument in the flesh with the phones plugged into the real thing, but a first impression. Seems to me that the biggest change with this new series is in the action and less so with the sounds .. perhaps.

Mind you, that Berlin grand sure got an interesting sound with some bite, very different to the Hamburg. No doubt more demos will surface, when I google it there is already a lot of stuff that appeared in the space of hours on these models.

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 12:34 PM)

#2456067 - Yesterday at 01:01 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Charles Cohen Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
It would have been nicer if the video's music had been music from the new piano, rather than orchestral dreck.

But this could be the end of "Casio only makes watches. What do they know about music?"

And if the samples (if it uses samples!) aren't looped, it might lure Dewster out of retirement.

Edited by Charles Cohen (Yesterday at 01:04 PM)

#2456076 - Yesterday at 01:20 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Charles Cohen]
Alexander Borro Offline

Originally Posted By Charles Cohen

And if the samples (if it uses samples!) aren't looped, it might lure Dewster out of retirement.

They still quote the Air sound engine, so I expect it is much based on the same tech a before I imagine. Besides the similarity in sound of the Hamburg preset and that of my own Celviano I noticed, I feel fairly confident in saying it is not a radical change from before to a completely modelled engine without samples, but I'll eat my hat of I am wrong. smile eek

Edited by Alexander Borro (Yesterday at 01:21 PM)

#2456079 - Yesterday at 01:32 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
markalien Offline

It's about time they released a premium top end digital piano. I'm looking forward to it. I for one wouldn't mind a more premium looking Celviano or Privia, the plastic consoles just don't work for me.

#2456084 - Yesterday at 01:51 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Mike_Martin Offline

Action High Speed Performance Test

Casio Music Forums

#2456088 - Yesterday at 02:03 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Alexander Borro]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By Alexander Borro
Originally Posted By Charles Cohen

They still quote the Air sound engine, so I expect it is much based on the same tech a before I imagine. Besides the similarity in sound of the Hamburg preset and that of my own Celviano I noticed, I feel fairly confident in saying it is not a radical change from before to a completely modelled engine without samples, but I'll eat my hat of I am wrong. smile eek

It is a NEW "AiR Grand" engine. Everything about technology is a HUGE leap from out existing technology in Privia and Celviano pianos and in my honest opinion above anything else available. Yes the Hamburg does sound similar at first listen because it comes from the same source instrument but the depth, quality and character of the resonance system is all new technology.

All these threads are somewhat meaningless, you must play this instrument to believe it. We'll be doing some "Touch and Try" events around the USA. More info soon.

Edited by Mike_Martin (Yesterday at 02:06 PM)

Casio Music Forums

#2456089 - Yesterday at 02:13 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
ando Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Wow, that speed test is super impressive, Mike. The AvantGrand certainly doesn't repeat that well. I'm really looking forward to trying this piano. What is the difference between the 300 and the 500 model?

#2456093 - Yesterday at 02:26 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Mike_Martin Offline

Finish is one of the big differences obviously but the GP-500 has more "under the hood" for the sound engine.

The GP-500 adds:
Open String Resonance
Aliquot Resonance
Key on/off and pedal action noises
(all of the above variable)

SCENES for storing custom settings of the Acoustic Simulation parameters, effects, players position and more. The are Global on the GP-300.

...and more that forgetting at the moment.

Casio Music Forums

#2456095 - Yesterday at 02:36 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
debussychopin Online   content

Originally Posted By Mike_Martin
Action High Speed Performance Test

Haha not even Liszt himself can repeat notes that fast

#2456098 - Yesterday at 02:48 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Alexander Borro Offline

you must play this instrument to believe it. We'll be doing some "Touch and Try" events around the USA. More info soon.

Thanks for the info Mike.

No doubt I will at some point when I pass the shops for the fun of it try one. They are pretty quick where I live to get these latest models in quickly.

Mind you, I am happy with the current Celviano AP-450 keys/action. At my level they'll do me for some time yet smile My interest was more just out of curiosity, rather than needing an updated piano.

As for the sounds in my current Ceviano, I'll must admit, I hardly ever use them anymore, and have been substituted by software sounds I prefer to use. blush

#2456104 - Yesterday at 02:59 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
IgorLevit Online   content

Loc: France
Is there some sort of mechanism so as to limitate the noise produced by the hammer action ? Yamaha avant grand are good but the action noise is unbearable when you want to play at a low volume : playing at full volume in a small room is just insane to me, this is the main reason I don't want an acoustic piano, I would be able to play without disturbing other people, but I'm the one who is disturbed by the constant loudness of the sound. And with my current DP (roland HP-507, with PHA 3 keyboard), the keyboard noise annoys me a bit, so I wouldn't move to something with a significantly louder noise (slightly louder is ok for an hybrid, since the improvement is huge).
This is so bad to have to pay 2000$ for an ebony finish (satin black always seemed wrong to me), of course you have other features I guess, but since you can't have an ebony finish on the first model, that's almost the same.

And finally, what about the european release ?

#2456147 - Yesterday at 05:23 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Mike_Martin Offline

The action sound itself is very quiet in the Celviano Grand Hybrid pianos. We'll have to do a demo video of the instrument with the sound turned off I guess. wink

Casio Music Forums

#2456152 - Yesterday at 05:36 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Thomas B]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Thomas B
The action looks phenomenal! At the price point of $4000 for the GP-300 and $6000 for the GP-500BP this will put serious pressure on the Yamaha AvantGrands, what do you think? Infos on the sound engine are sparse and I would guess that there won't be any profound news in that area...

Yes I would hope that Yamaha will up their game on the AG's, but of course in the meantime this range will be worth investigating on their own merit.

#2456161 - Yesterday at 06:15 PM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Wow! Interesting times for DP people!

Kudos to Casio. They've pulled this out of the hat and wrong-footed everyone. No acoustic piano heritage whatsoever and yet they've really put themselves out there.

For their daring approach I wish Casio a lot of luck.

With Roland's new sound engine and Casio's new 'everything' I am wondering how Yamaha and Kawai will respond. But respond they will have to do to stay abreast of the market.

All of a sudden progress has accelerated significantly. Come back Dewster and revel in your dreams becoming reality!

#2456251 - Today at 02:39 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
PianoManChuck Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I am completely blown away! Almost speechless!!
Can't wait to try one of these... somewhere...

The game has really changed now grin

#2456309 - Today at 09:38 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
http://www.wired.co.uk/ says that "The Casio Hybrid Grand was announced at an event in Berlin[...] where the audience was treated to a performance by concert pianist Benjamin Grosvenor."
Is there any recording of the performance?

#2456313 - Today at 09:52 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Hookxs]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By Hookxs
http://www.wired.co.uk/ says that "The Casio Hybrid Grand was announced at an event in Berlin[...] where the audience was treated to a performance by concert pianist Benjamin Grosvenor."
Is there any recording of the performance?

I haven't seen one yet but I'll ask our team in Germany. We are doing a debut event in NYC on September 16th. Pianist Simone Dinnerstein will perform. We plan on recording it.

Casio Music Forums

#2456314 - Today at 09:57 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Hookxs Offline

Thanks, that is promising info.
I found this page: http://www.grand-hybrid.com/ and it contains some sound demos and technical specs. But I am not sure if it's correct, because the spces of the two models look exactly the same, as far as I can see. Could you please check about that?

#2456315 - Today at 09:59 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Hookxs]
Mike_Martin Offline

I found this page: http://www.grand-hybrid.com/ and it contains some sound demos and technical specs. But I am not sure if it's correct, because the spces of the two models look exactly the same, as far as I can see. Could you please check about that?

That is the Casio Europe site. To clarify the specs are not exactly the same, I outlined the differences in my earlier post on this page.

Casio Music Forums

#2456317 - Today at 10:07 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Hookxs Offline

That is the Casio Europe site. To clarify the specs are not exactly the same, I outlined the differences in my earlier post on this page.

I know about your post but the referred page says eg. that the modeled resonances are identical. So something is obviously wrong.

#2456318 - Today at 10:19 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
Mike_Martin Offline

From what I can see on their site it appears to be a formatting issue which I'll bring to their attention. The GP-500 has the additional items in the "Acoustic Simulator" section which include:

Open String Resonance
Aliquot Resonance
Key on/off and pedal action noises

Casio Music Forums

#2456321 - Today at 10:24 AM Re: Casio Celviano Grand Hybrid Announced [Re: Mike_Martin]
IgorLevit Online   content

Loc: France
The action sound itself is very quiet in the Celviano Grand Hybrid pianos. We'll have to do a demo video of the instrument with the sound turned off I guess. wink

That would be great ! But we would need a point of comparison, such as another casio DP.

Where is the sound demo ? Can't find any (maybe my browser blocked it, but I don't see anything).
What about the european price ? 6000$ is 5400€, but when I search on the internet, I see that digital pianos seem more expensive in the US, so maybe that will be closer to 5000€.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad) Teaching Children Music
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fascinating Discussion of the History of ET.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
09/03/15 11:42 AM
Fascinating review of the history of Equal Temperament
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
09/03/15 11:20 AM
Bad to visually memorize chords?
by Fatih
09/03/15 06:58 AM
Showing signs of...
by johan d
09/03/15 06:35 AM
Help with KAWAI CE-7N
by dominic70s
09/03/15 02:54 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,611 Registered Members
44 Forums
166,648 Topics
2,441,666 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission