2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
And one more GP 500 video, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1-TKxQa67c

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
G
G
I know the focus of this piano is not jazz, tailored mostly to the classical pianist. Even so, will there be any audio samples of the jazz piano sounds? I saw in the six part video demonstration there were some jazz piano settings using the Vienna Grand and would love to get an idea of what it sounds like. I'm mostly playing jazz these days and having a piano with an EQ for jazz would be excellent. I'm seriously considering getting a loan and just buying the GP300 for my conservatory studies at home. It does look amazing.

PS. What is the warranty on these pianos? Considering they are top of the line digital pianos, I imagine at least the same 3 year warranty as current Privias?

Last edited by Giancarlo Robles; 09/04/15 04:24 PM. Reason: Warranty question

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
From what I can see on their site it appears to be a formatting issue which I'll bring to their attention. The GP-500 has the additional items in the "Acoustic Simulator" section which include:

Open String Resonance
Aliquot Resonance
Key on/off and pedal action noises

Does this mean that these things aren't simulated on the GP-300, or just that the GP-300 doesn't have controls to change them from their defaults?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hendrik42
Keyboard Mag has the scoop:

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 1 of 6 Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2wBM9-weo

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 2 of 6 action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN8EIIW1m2s

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 3 of 6 interface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk82jnwm_u8

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 4 of 6 speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIhUF5E_l8

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 5 of 6 models
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70pAuVbh0A

Casio Celviano Hybrid Grand 6 of 6 demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-lZVTLEb6w

Happy viewing!

Thanks for posting those links! All of my questions have been answered.

As soon as one appears over here I'll give it a spin.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm now practically certain it doesn't have escapement - you can see in the Action clip that the hammers do not bounce back. ;^)

EDIT: Ah, they state that clearly anyway. Sorry.
EDIT #2: And they think it's an ADVANTANGE not to have escapement. I wonder what the purists will say about that. ;^)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/04/15 06:06 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
I'm now practically certain it doesn't have escapement - you can see in the Action clip that the hammers do not bounce back. ;^)

EDIT #2: And they think it's an ADVANTANGE not to have escapement. I wonder what the purists will say about that. ;^)

Greg.

I'll withhold my judgment until I play one.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

I'll withhold my judgment until I play one.

Fair enough. I'm mainly interested in it from an academic perspective - if Casio had designed a simplified action that had real escapement, I would have been fascinated by that. It's irrelevant for my playing.

I trust Casio that it is probably technically superior to a real action, but I'm not sure that those pianists who want a complete "warts & all" simulation of a grand action will go for it. I.e, if they practise on the Casio without escapement, they might find that it takes a bit longer to adjust to a real grand that has escapement, than if they had practised on something with escapement all along.

Greg.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I wish they had a mini-grand cabinet version for around $8K MSRP. I'd be interested if the action is as good as said and it had a great speaker/amp system. I don't really care about the built-in sample quality since I wouldn't use them anyway. I like what I have now but a better action would be worth an upgrade.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I'm not sure if the aux-in connections -for the new Celviano- are placed in the front, but it would be nice if these were placed behind the piano, so as to keep incoming cables hidden from sight.

The upright version of the GranTouch had these connections on the back; I don't know why this changed over time. These upright-type pianos are meant to be placed against a wall, so the back side is never visible. Why not keep all the clutter behind the piano?

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I suspect that those sorts of inputs are intended to be a "use and remove" application, so folks don't want to have to keep on crawling behind the piano to hook 'em up.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
personally, once I plug these in, I'm good till the next piano upgrade.

T
T
The lack of escapement has done turned me off, but I still am wondering about 88-key sampling? What has anybody heard.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice job on Keyboard Magazine's visit to Casio to get the scoop on these new models.

If they got the key drop depth right, the general sensation of weight/resistance with the right grading, the pivot point and feel of the swing, and a dispersed enough impact when when you hit the felt... Clearly the action is very fast, no strings - so no actual need for escapement or double escapement mechanisms, and yet there is a certain feeling that produces. I'm curious as all heck to play it and see what it feels like. I have no doubt they've done a nice job on the sample libraries, amp, and speaker system. But same deal, need to sit in front of it to make a determination.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sullivang

Greg.

I would think it has to have at least single escapement - I mean it can't be that the hammer is directly coupled to the key motion. It must be possible to hit the key short and sharp and have the key return while the hammer continues toward the "strings". So it seems they don't think double-escapement is necessary. This might not appeal to everyone - especially a student who wants to prepare for performance on an acoustic grand. i.e. it might be too easy to do a tremolo. But who knows? The devil will be in the details. It might feel great, it might not - like Dave Horne, I'll reserve my judgement until I play one. I am looking forward to trying it out.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Ando: I don't think what you describe is "single escapement" at all.

My understanding is that "single escapement" is the ability of the hammer to detach from the key, during the down-stroke, so that the hammer is free to rebound from the strings, with the key still in the down position. This Casio action clearly does not allow this.

EDIT: Refer here: http://www.piano.christophersmit.com/action.html
Cristofori's original design included a single-escapement action. Single escapement is what allows hammer to be released (escape) from the influence of the key and the rest of the action. The hammer strikes the string and falls back, even if the key is still depressed. Without this escapement, the hammer would be held against the string (muting its vibrations) for as long as the key was depressed. The double escapement action was developed by Sébastien Erard in the 1800's. Double escapement occurs when the jack is reset beneath the hammer as the key is partially released. This allows the note to be repeated quickly without the action parts returning to their original at-rest positions.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 09/05/15 12:18 AM.
Speaking as an owner of a Yamaha AvantGrand N3 (and quite a few other instruments), I have to say I'm really impressed so far.

Casio already has the sampled sounds nailed (check out the PX-5S), and has apparently sourced the keybed action from C. Bechstein. The only element that's left is amplification (not difficult) and furniture appeal.

These products are definitely going to be a huge player in the home digital/acoustic category. Casio is certainly bringing game. And my good friends at Yamaha are going to have to up their ante -- and quickly.

Not that I'm looking for a new digital hybrid, but it would be cool to play this and a N3 side by side.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I'm sure this DP will be a smash hit - on spec alone it's an impressive instrument at an apparently unbeatable price. I'm not in the slightest bothered by lack of escapement and have yet to witness a demonstration of its practical 'musical' value.

I'd like to know more about the way it treats its line input for connecting software pianos. Will it fall short of delivering the full 'realistic' sound stage that it claims to provide for its own internal sounds? Someone might correct me on this but I recall reading here that Yamaha's AG is a disappointment in that respect.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Has anyone played one of these?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dire tonic
I'm not in the slightest bothered by lack of escapement and have yet to witness a demonstration of its practical 'musical' value.

It's value, as I tried to explain before, might be, at the very least, that a player who is practising on a digital piano with escapement (either real, or simulated), can more easily transfer to a real piano. Without escapement, the player may get used to playing ppp without having to overcome the increase in resistance that the escapement produces, and then completely fall in a heap on stage when they play the real thing. laugh

Greg.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The AvantGard by Yamaha have an upright action, no? Certainly the ones I have seen, have.

So this is in a different game. This is no upright action.

And as I under stand it from the pictures of the action and the videos, the keys are full length, not only in front of the pivot, but also behind it. Maybe baby grand, but grand. 100% Bechstein keyboard, they say.

That's a first, is it not?

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission