2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hey guys,

I have been playing the piano on and off for several years now, mainly learning individual songs through (yes I'm going to say it:) synthesia. Now though that's all good, I am now at a point where I would prefer to play the piano properly, with sheet music and correct fingering; even though up until this point, fingering has come pretty natural to me.

To that end, I am currently looking for a (preferably free and else non-subscription based) course without any fuss. Just a bunch of incremental pieces of sheet music that will slowly hone my skills. I am however fine with both computer-/midi-based courses and simple sheet music without any technological stuff.

To give you a vague idea of my current sight reading capabilities: I am fluent in single notes on ranging one octave to the left and right of middle C, having played just a few notes more on either side. Have barely touched on octaves but I can recognize the CEG, CFA and AEF ones on both of these octaves (though I am not completely fluent at playing them). I can also read sharps and flats on individual notes just fine but often find myself struggling when the pace fastens.

I'm hoping some of you have some good recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
I have been playing a lot of stuff from makingmusicfun.net.

He has numerous bits of sheet music available for free download that's sorted by difficulty. I've learned a lot just by attempting play what he has there.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
how about a classic course, complete with fingerings?

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks...ehrmeister_Op_599_Peters_7901_filter.pdf

Czerny was an influent keyboard teacher of the XIX century, pupil of Beethoven and teacher of Liszt among others. This is a pretty gentle and progressive introduction to both notation and relatively easy HT pieces. Just be sure to learn beforehand about the very basics of notation and notice this course runs the whole first half using the treble clef for both hands.

they are not mere exercises, some are very sweet miniatures in the classical style... they get progressively more scary, but not nearly as much as advanced Czerny smile

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
how about a classic course, complete with fingerings?

http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks...ehrmeister_Op_599_Peters_7901_filter.pdf

Czerny was an influent keyboard teacher of the XIX century, pupil of Beethoven and teacher of Liszt among others. This is a pretty gentle and progressive introduction to both notation and relatively easy HT pieces. Just be sure to learn beforehand about the very basics of notation and notice this course runs the whole first half using the treble clef for both hands.

they are not mere exercises, some are very sweet miniatures in the classical style... they get progressively more scary, but not nearly as much as advanced Czerny smile

This looks absolutely amazing!
Going to be able to nicely crack my head over that for a while smile

Thanks!

One question though: What does HT stand for?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Czerny gets hard pretty fast and doesn't explain anything. It's not supposed to be used without the supervision of a teacher. The best would be to get a teacher. The second best would be a method book (search past threads for many recommendations).

HT stands for hands together. You'll also see HS for hands separately.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
in addition to czerny op 599
beyer op 101 and
if you can find all the volumes of the lebert stark klavierschule, it goes from -nothing- to chopin etudes :-)

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
HT: hands together. Some people play hands separate as beginners.

Beware that that book may well take your whole first 2 beginner years to master. I also used to like op777 from Czerny.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
i've hit my third month with a piano now, you are way above me. Dropped Alfred at half way, working through Czerny op 453 '110 progressive exercises', certainly looked more fun than op599 which I also printed out, but op453 won in the end because the first few exercises looked doable and more musical.
though i will hop on to 599 as soon as i master the first 8 Czerny exercises. (just listen to exercise 6 and you will get sold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbP_eSydPtw if that right hand had more trills in it, it would be Mozart)

czerny's fingering feels so logical, and you can tell at certain points in the piece he wants you to learn something from the choice he makes.

it really depends where your musical interest is

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission