2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nahum Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
This test I invented sometime during the work with the student on improvisation, while trying to understand why he was limited to only three octaves on the keyboard.
Technically, this is done as follows: first, I drew a small fragment (Thema), and the subject has to draw a line connecting the edges of my Thema from left to right or vice versa. The line shape, its length and the area completely free. The main thing that was done entirely mindlessly.
Here are the results assembled during 15 years :
http://www.mediafire.com/view/lqiyyf0iglaob4u/Visual%20Test.pdf

This test was presented by me publicly in a lecture-workshop on classical and jazz improvisation in the music center of Isaac Stern in Jerusalem.Among the participants was also a professional psychologist, who saw the test, and in her words - almost fell from the chair.
Since I was personally acquainted with each testee, I can confirm the corresponding character  between drawn lines and improvisation from the same person.
This test has no relation to graphology, but to the personal logic of lines!
[/i]

Last edited by Nahum; 09/11/15 02:43 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nahum
[/i]

And what is the relationship to music?

N
Nahum Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dire tonic
[/i]

And what is the relationship to music?
By the way, is not related also to the ability to draw well; I totally devoid of talent for drawing ; but the 2nd picture above clearly shows the line of my thinking   in improvisation.
These lines differ from each other as personalities who drew them.It turned out that for a psychologist these lines say more than I can see (still another profession), such as the inability to bring the case to the end - as it turned out from the test results of my colleague, teacher of classical improvisation in UK.
If we take the very last line at the bottom, it drew a man totally unmusical - an engineer chemist. From his point of view, the shortest direct line is most correct; and is independent from nothing - neither from the "Thema" or from his own imagination.
Compared to this, the tenth line from the top is very elegant and is isomorphic to the theme, developing, getting a climax. This pianist, who has passed studio of Barry Harris . That looks exactly how he improvises; but there is a problem that came out - he is not sure of himself, and keeps a low view of him.
The first line belongs to a professional jazz pianist who loves humor, surprises, and does not forget where he started.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Who pays for this kind of research? Are people going hungry as a result?

N
Nahum Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N

This test has revealed interesting properties of human: the lines 4, 5, 7, 9, 12
from above have drawn by those who aren't able physically to portray an
abstract line: and turned out more or less concrete image.Their improvisations are always characterized by a clear logical construction.
The most surprising - â„– 12; student, 15 years old, not advanced pianist , but talented improviser . However, he had in neighborhood the name of a bully, and had problems with police. How this is consistent with a picture of a dove, symbol of peace, I can not understand!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

This test has revealed interesting properties of human: the lines 4, 5, 7, 9, 12
from above have drawn by those who aren't able physically to portray an
abstract line: and turned out more or less concrete image.Their improvisations are always characterized by a clear logical construction.
The most surprising - â„– 12; student, 15 years old, not advanced pianist , but talented improviser . However, he had in neighborhood the name of a bully, and had problems with police. How this is consistent with a picture of a dove, symbol of peace, I can not understand!

You're not much better than a troll.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Nahum, very interesting!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'd put it closer to astrology than graphology. At any rate I recommend ordering some shirts because it shows some real promise as a new religion.

N
Nahum Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
I'd put it closer to astrology than graphology. At any rate I recommend ordering some shirts because it shows some real promise as a new religion.
Andrew, I take your advice in mind;  just don't know which of drawings choose as the most representative.
That's just a little problem: there is no scientific explanation for such a huge difference between the shapes and the developments of drawn lines from each individual. If it was a text that could be explained by individual handwriting; but there is something else.Or such explanations are there?
For example figure â„– 8 - line chaotically change direction. Belongs to exceptionally talented jazz pianist (at that time student); who complained that during improvisation hear in his head a few records at the same time, and in his solo he jumped from one style to another.
Accidental coincidence? No relationship with his line?
Each improviser can check this on himself and his colleagues - with mutual help .  Maybe after that we can continue the discussion ...

BTW , if someone wants to fundamentally change the line by drawing unconsciously, he He will not succeed.failed.

Last edited by Nahum; 09/12/15 01:55 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm sorry but I see nothing scientific about what you're doing. You're creating a story to match something you see and declaring it evidence of some amazing insight. You're their teacher, you know their backgrounds and their piano abilities and you're overseeing the drawing. There is nothing remotely objective or evidence based about this whole operation. This wouldn't pass a peer review by a year 7 science class, and trying to present it as something that's scientifically sound is deceptive at very best.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
I'm sorry but I see nothing scientific about what you're doing. You're creating a story to match something you see and declaring it evidence of some amazing insight. You're their teacher, you know their backgrounds and their piano abilities and you're overseeing the drawing. There is nothing remotely objective or evidence based about this whole operation. This wouldn't pass a peer review by a year 7 science class, and trying to present it as something that's scientifically sound is deceptive at very best.

Agreed - unfortunately this is habitually what he does. Perhaps he's trying to impress his paymasters.

N
Nahum Online Content OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
https://www.focusing.org/chfc/articles/en/thurow-interaction-squiggle-total.htm

I suspect that not only I wasn't familiar with the theory of DW . Winnicott. Thanks to professional psychiatrists who have understood me, and sent in the right direction.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission