2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I own a K-200. Although my level is very low, I can tell you it has some wake points.
First of all, it's loud,with a shrill sound. It doesn't have a delicate palette of colours from pp to ff. In fact it's closer to f than to mf in normal playing.It's quite difficult to get a pp out of it, specially in the bass.
In the ff range, it reaches the limit soon.
It has weird metallic ressonances wich I didn't like.
Mine was voiced down to a mellower tone. In the process, those metallic overtones have been tamed to an acceptable point, but some clarity has gone, too. Sound is fatter now, but there's a little "squash" in the attack (how to say it?).Like a punched ball.
The mechanism is noisy. You can clearly hear the sound of the hammers beating the strings.
The mid and upper range are nice,though, and it can sing with a pretty colour. But the bass is just so-so, specially in the transition area.
I like the sound when I press the left pedal, more. Then it shows a warm tone, really beautiful.

The keybed and mechanism are great to me,feel responsive and are in the heavy-but-fluid side.Very consistent.

I mean, it's good enough for me (in fact it's much better than me) but I won't buy it if I were a grade 10 student.
But hey, it's an entry upright model.Good for what it is.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
mabraman,

Just so nobody gloms on to an incorrect notion, some or all of these issues are problems inherent in most short uprights and not particular to the K-200.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Just talked to the dealer, the U1 is sold already...

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Izut, there are other U1s out there. Take your time and enjoy trying out different pianos.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Will the used U1 better choice than a new P22 or K200?

Izut: since your daughter seems to be able to make a choice by playing the 2 pianos, why not let her do it?

Personally I don't think the U1 is a better piano than the P22.

And how the Kawai stacks up against either one, most likely will depend on personal preference.

Good luck in your choice!

Norbert smile

I
izut Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Yeah Norbert, I would like to do that, but the two pianos are in the different stores. frown

Originally Posted by Norbert
Will the used U1 better choice than a new P22 or K200?

Izut: since your daughter seems to be able to make a choice by playing the 2 pianos, why not let her do it?

Personally I don't think the U1 is a better piano than the P22.

And how the Kawai stacks up against either one, most likely will depend on personal preference.

Good luck in your choice!

Norbert smile

S
S
I'm going to have to disagree with Norbert in that the U1 is a superior piano to the P22.

The U1 is made in Japan, while the P22 is made in Indonesia. The U1 is taller with a superior scale design and is one of the world's most popular and best selling pianos.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

I
I
No doubt. I was sure he meant this (old) U1 was inferior to the new P22.

1892 Bechstein III -> 2015 Yamaha U3
It's fine to disagree on these things, no sweat.
In fact Steve may well be right.

I'm still remembering the US made P22's which were very fine pianos.

If these models are now made in Indonesia and considered a "drop off" from before, it's hardly because Indonesian workers are inferior to US workers.

It may be the insinuation [for marketing purpose..] but the real reason may well be a different design in conjunction with different materials.

It's increasingly hard to understand the corporate mindset behind all these things.
It's what you get when offering varying quality under same name.

To me, it's getting too complicated to figure it all out.
Admittedly, others may be better at that.

Hopefully this including well informed customers.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 09/25/15 01:53 AM.

E
E
Izut,
I would suggest that you try a used U3. They are typically sold for only a little more (5-10%) than a U1, and it is possible to find similar condition examples at the same price. Most would say the U3 is better, although some would prefer the U1. Why not find out for yourself before you buy?

1926 Hamburg Steinway R (home, rebuilt in 2015)
1986 Hamburg Steinway C (church, "loaner")
1902 New York Steinway D (church, rebuild pending)
B
B
Hi all...I was thinking about buying a new P22 in satin ebony but I thought they were all made in Georgia, USA? Did they move production? Would a used P22 built in Georgia be better than a new one built in Indonesia...if indeed they are?

Thanks!

Phil

Yamaha P22 in satin ebony
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yamaha built P22 pianos for the US market in Georgia until the early 2000s, then in either Taiwan or China, and now in Indonesia for the last few years.

I get to tune a newer (Indonesian) one next to some late 90's (US) ones here at the university. The newer one is definitely nicer, but it has not suffered as many years of the ravages of time and institutional use that the older pianos have. I notice a lot of false beats in the treble of late 1990s ones we have around the building. However, they take a beating and keep working.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
B
Thanks Terminal...

I found on the Yamaha corporate site that they built in Georgia until 2007. My dilemma is that I can find a P22 to play before I buy. The eealer here in Boise has to order one out of LA. I refuse to buy a new piano without playing it first. My tech/tuner thinks this would be the best piano for me right now and I'm taking his word for it but I don't know how to try one short of going 450 miles to a bigger store, buying it there if I like it and hauling it back.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey BoisePhil;

I'm a big a fan of Yamaha pianos as you can get, however there have to other instruments comparable to the P22 that are available in your area for audition?

Having said all of that, we played the P22 and loved it a year ago. However, we found a used Yamaha upright at a much better price.

Since a piano purchase like this could be a 10-30 year investment, what's a 450 mile drive in your beautiful neck of the woods? smile

Make it a kind of "piano buying roadtrip". If you end up playing a piano you really like, hopefully that dealer will be used to longer delivery trips and it won't add a large cost to your purchase.

Keep us informed!

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
I too played a Yamaha P22 at a church a year or so ago. It was a nice instrument, particularly the key touch. The tone was nice too, not too bright or too mellow. I'm sure it was one of the older ones, likely built in Thomaston Ga.

About the only way to really tell which you'd like the best is to be able to play them both side-by-side, which might be hard to do (but not impossible).

Also, I think the Kawai pianos are very nice pianos as well. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either a Yamaha or Kawai in good condition.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I too played a Yamaha P22 at a church a year or so ago. It was a nice instrument, particularly the key touch. The tone was nice too, not too bright or too mellow. I'm sure it was one of the older ones, likely built in Thomaston Ga.

About the only way to really tell which you'd like the best is to be able to play them both side-by-side, which might be hard to do (but not impossible).

Also, I think the Kawai pianos are very nice pianos as well. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either a Yamaha or Kawai in good condition.

Good luck!

Rick

+1. They both make excellent, solid instruments.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
B
B
Off on my 450 mile piano roadtrip in about 8 hours! It's actually a beautiful drive across the high desert to Reno. A dealer in Reno has a couple U1's I'll check out. Then a dealer in the Bay area has a new satin ebony P22 on the floor that they just got a couple weeks ago. Their price is lower than the dealer here. Sweet.

Phil

B
B
Well...never made it past Reno. Went to Carpenter's Piano where I met the owner Willard, a really wonderful guy. Played all the B model uprights, a few U1's and a few U3's. I didn't care much for the B's or the U1. The new U3's were nice but just before I left fell in love with a 70's vintage U3. One owner, local Reno piano (very similar climate to Boise) and the touch and tone are fantastic. After a call to my tech, I went and got a U-Haul trailer and towed it home. Price was only a couple hundred more than a new P22 and I think I'll be very happy with this piano. Geez it's a tank. It must weigh 400-500 lbs. i'll give a report once it gets settled in and tuned again.

Congratulations, Phil!

Enjoy your new-to-you piano! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission