2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
P
P
By the way I have v. 1.02 in my CA-97 while there is v. 1.06 available. I do not know is the firmware is language-indipendent since near 1.06 there are only UK and German flags, no Italian flag available...

Originally Posted by P120
no Italian flag available...

Don't worry, just install the new firmware (flags don't really matter here) and it'll solve the problem, it did in my case.

P85>Kawai CA97>Numa X GT>FP90x>LX706
Pianoteq 8 Pro
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
H
H
The flags are for the user manuals only. There is only a single update file rather than one per language.

P
P
Thank you. I will upgrade my firmware as soon as possible.

P
P
After only 5 minutes I solved every troubles updating the firmware to v. 1.06. Great!!

P
P
I would like to post some shots of my CA-97:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thank you P120 for sharing! Unboxing it is so exciting smile

Pianoteq 8 Pro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
P120, thank you for sharing the unboxing pics - congrats on your new pianos.

I'm glad to hear that the software update resolved the Registration problem you were experiencing, and that others here confirmed that the software updates are not language/region specific.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
f3r Offline
F
It's finally here! Got it friday morning. laugh

https://plus.google.com/photos/1154...01328585285556049?authkey=COjlkZbpjf_qcQ

Some impressions now that is here
- Keys
They are a bit heavy, here's a classification in heaviness starting from the lightest action:
1. Yamaha C2/C3
2. Kawai grand (not sure of the model)
3. Kawai CA97 (Very very similar to the Kawai grand)
4. Tallone baby grand (quite heavy and can clearly feel the let-off)

Those are the grands I played at the music school I attend. I am not sure about the difference in weight of the two Kawais. From what I recall they are similar.

- Sound
It fills the room and makes the windows vibrate. At around the 6th dot (counting MIN as 1st) it reaches the volume of the pianos mentioned before. I can hear the looping after some seconds but I don't care that much about it as long as I like the sound. Surely if Kawai can make the samples a couple of seconds longer that would be better.

-SHS
It's cool, no headache, no pain to the ears... I am using cheap earphones and the first time I played with them I thought the sound was coming from the speakers! I will tell you more about the sound quality when using decent headphones.

I have just one problem though... One of its keys (B0) is sticky. It takes a bit more force to start the movement and it doesn't go down as smooth as the others. I'll wait a week and see if the problem solves itself.

Last edited by f3r; 10/03/15 05:08 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by f3r
I have just one problem though... One of its keys (B0) is sticky. It takes a bit more force to start the movement and it doesn't go down as smooth as the others. I'll wait a week and see if the problem solves itself.

It won't fix itself. There might be some grease or dirt on the PTFE pad at the end of the keys / hammer capstan, that you can clean off. If that doesn't help, you will need to stick a new piece of PTFE over the end of the key. See https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ai_Grand_Feel_key_clini.html#Post2454781.

Unfortunately the design does not make the action easily accessible, unlike an acoustic, so you need to remove / loosen 19 screws. It's not very difficult though, if you are reasonably competent.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
F
f3r Offline
F
Hmmm... I think the problem is different: it is kinda stuck at the start. Meanwhile I found the middle C might have the issue you pointed out. B0 moves up quickly enough to have a rebound, the middle C does not.

P
P
Originally Posted by f3r
It's finally here! Got it friday morning. laugh

https://plus.google.com/photos/1154...01328585285556049?authkey=COjlkZbpjf_qcQ

Some impressions now that is here
- Keys
They are a bit heavy, here's a classification in heaviness starting from the lightest action:
1. Yamaha C2/C3
2. Kawai grand (not sure of the model)
3. Kawai CA97 (Very very similar to the Kawai grand)
4. Tallone baby grand (quite heavy and can clearly feel the let-off)

Those are the grands I played at the music school I attend. I am not sure about the difference in weight of the two Kawais. From what I recall they are similar.

- Sound
It fills the room and makes the windows vibrate. At around the 6th dot (counting MIN as 1st) it reaches the volume of the pianos mentioned before. I can hear the looping after some seconds but I don't care that much about it as long as I like the sound. Surely if Kawai can make the samples a couple of seconds longer that would be better.

-SHS
It's cool, no headache, no pain to the ears... I am using cheap earphones and the first time I played with them I thought the sound was coming from the speakers! I will tell you more about the sound quality when using decent headphones.

Congratulations for your new CA-97, f3r ;-)
I'm sorry to know of your problem with key.

However, about piano actions I think that you have to consider many aspects like the age of piano, the ambient, the maintenance.

Unlike you I always found Yamaha C3 and C5 more heavy that our CA-97 and I found real grand Kawai action more heavy that Yamaha until I played a Kawai RX2 with ABS-carbon Millennium III action: it is very light and fast.
However, for me, Millennium III is slightly more heavy that Kawai Grand Feel 2 because playing it you can clearly feel the presence of the let-of.
Playing the CA-97 the let-off is too inconsistent above all in passages to play mf and f.
My real grand is enough old and nevertheless I can still feel the presence of let-off.

P
P
Looking to get a set of decent headphones to use when I can't have the unit loud. Does anyone know if the CA97 will drive high impedance phones acceptably? I'd rather avoid needing a headphone amp.

The manual only suggests enabling high output mode for phones with /less than/ 100Ω impedance (which conflicts with my understanding of output power required.)

Kawai CA97, CME UF8 (semi-dead), M-Audio Keystation 49es (dead)
Hello Peter, yes, the CA97's headphone amp is perfectly capable of driving high impedance phones acceptably.

Regarding the Phone Volume setting, I believe the default 'Normal' setting should be fine, but please feel free to experiment with the 'High' setting to find the volume level that you prefer. However, please note that when the 'High' setting is used, there may be a disparity in the perceived volume when going between speaker and headphone sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

F
f3r Offline
F
Well as lolatu said, they didn't fix themselves... I guess I have to make a call. Still it doesn't bother me much. I've also found something else: some keys almost have no let-off. At the start I thought I was pressing the keys too hard but nope, the other keys have a distinct notch. Am I being too picky or the only one who had bad luck?

Mark, if you have any concerns with your CA97, my advice would be to contact the dealer from whom the instrument was purchased to seek assistance under warranty.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M
New video from David Izquierdo featuring CA97 'Upright Piano':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=020T06GeHO0

Nice playing!

I'm probably in the minority, but I rather like the character of that upright sound. wink

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
Same here actually. Would like to know the settings (VT, reverb etc) he used as it sounds great.

Hi Folks!

After a break (moved cause of job) I'm retaking youtube videos smile

I'm totally in love with the upright patch, it sounds to me so realistic, even more than heard on the videos..

The settings I used on the video are the standard (reverb, resonance, etc) except the VT (I set the timbre from Standard to Mellow1).

Hope you like it!
David

Last edited by David Izquierdo; 12/10/15 06:42 AM.

Pianoteq 8 Pro
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission