2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I am looking for an 88 key to put under my 76 key tyros 5 arranger. Today i visited some some music shops in the neighborhood and got my hands dirty with some of them.. Putting my experience on the web here, maybe it helps someone in their decision, tough the only way to choose a keybed that fits you is actually playing them.

Yamaha P115 (€600)
i would not advise anyone that wants to play seriously this keybed, it does not repsond well to fast playing, missing notes when a key is striked fast in quick concession (same keybed as the DGX650)

Yamaha P225 (€1200)
a little better then the P115, but still not fast enough, the sound selection is really thin compared to other keys in this price range. however the sounds available are okay.

Casio PX-5S (€800)
A much better keybed then both Yamaha's, and a huge sound selection, also assignable knobs and sliders, which makes the instrument really usable as a masterkeybed. I tought Sound quallity piano sounds was on par with the P255. it also offers lots of rythms and a very very nice arpeggiator

Roland RD800 (€2100)
i really really loved the keybed, but also the interface with the direct controll and offcourse the sound, i have allways been a huge fan of the Roland sound but thats a personall opinion. on this instrument you can p[retty much eddit every aspect possible of the sound..

Kawai MP11 (€2200)
Maybe the touch was even a tiny bit better then the RD800, and the interface and sounds where great to.. maybe its the Roland being a bit flashier and espescially lower that made me feel that the RD800 would be a better choice in combination with a T5. however i will not rule it out.

Nord Stage 2 EX (€4000)
A very nice instrument, great piano sounds, top knotch organs and an awesome synth aboard.. perfect for people that love to fiddle with around with the knobs and continously finetune their sound during a performance. The keybed however is a trade off between piano and synth action.. feeling okay but not great and way less then all the other + €2000 instruments..

Korg SV1 (€1700)
surprisingly nice keybed, somehow even feels better then the Kronos. perfect Epiano's both sound as well as the controll interface. The other sounds however including the acoustic piano's sound dated.

Physis H1(€2900)
Also a Fatar keybed, but much much better then on the Nord, very very good piano action and sounds.. and the indepth piano sound edditing is just perfect. Epiano's are fat, and the other sound are all top knotch. Interesting interface, everything is glass and touch. except for the screen.

Yamaha CVP 709 (€8000)
The brand new piano version of the Tyros 5. first and foremost i think the keybed is very much better then what i remember from the CVP 609. Not as good as the Roland and the Kawai, but miles better then the cheeper Yamaha's i tested. On par with the Physis and the Korg. And in my opinion a bit better then the Casio and lots better then the Nord.
The touchscreen works perfectly and makes me wish they would have added such a nice screen to the Tyros 5. The instrument was a real joy to play. convincing me again from the fact that a single 88 key arranger would be perfect for me..
However at twice the price of a Tyros 5, i think its a shame that the T5 has so many features not available on the CVP709..
I really missed the aftertouch, ensemble and organworld voices. Also the fact that there are no pads convinced me that its better to have an 88 key under the T5.. because the T5 is a much more complete instrument only missing the pianoroom feauture of the CVP709..

So far my day, its allways fun to play new and different instruments.

E
E
The Casio Privia series and the Korg SV1 seem identical in feel to me,which is one of the reasons I am overwhelmingly thrilled with the Casio PX-560.

"If you have good musicians around you,there's nothing to say...if you don't,there's nothing you can say"

-Cab Calloway
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elwood
The Casio Privia series and the Korg SV1 seem identical in feel to me,which is one of the reasons I am overwhelmingly thrilled with the Casio PX-560.
while keyaction was on par between, i think the physical surface of the SV1 keys felt a bit better then the unnatural feel of the Casio..

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I too have the 76 key Tyros 5.

In YouTube search for:

keybtyros

Some nice playing from Rico with his various Tyros models and some different under keyboards.

My plan is to buy a Kawai VPC-1 to put under mine as I already have Pianoteq 5

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Elwood
The Casio Privia series and the Korg SV1 seem identical in feel to me

To me, sound off, the Privia action feels better than the Korg; but with sound on, the SV1 action seems to do a better job of "connecting" the feel with its AP/EP sounds than Casio does. As is usually the case, each board has its advantages over the other... I'd take the Casio for being far more fully featured (lots more sounds, lots more MIDI control functionality, much easier to carry around, flexible splits/layers, etc.)... but for what the SV1 does, it does it nicely, there's just a really nice vibe to playing it.

Last edited by anotherscott; 10/03/15 03:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Cant imagine for a moment wby folk like the Casio action. Its heavy and nearly unplayable on the black keys near the hinge point. Im hoping the later ones may improve on this, particularly the hybrid grand which has attracted attention in no uncertain terms. . .

I find, and maybe Im not alone, that evaluating pianos is a perplexing business. Too many variables. Like, the mood youre in, what you had for breakfast, the weather, and the attitude of the shop guy. . .

I tried an LX15 last week. It sounded good until I tried the CN35. .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I find, and maybe Im not alone, that evaluating pianos is a perplexing business. Too many variables. Like, the mood youre in, what you had for breakfast, the weather, and the attitude of the shop guy. . .

Yeh it's a constant battle between the consumer and the company, trying to get more for less and less for more. I read everything I can and try everything I can and then stew for a week or two until I get so frustrated that I'd rather just buy something and move on with my life and make the best decision I can.

We can be thankful it's a relatively competitive market though so we can be reasonably assured of decent value products.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Seriously? The CN35 was better than an LX15? Was that in sound or playability or just everything?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
E
Cant imagine for a moment wby folk like the Casio action. Its heavy and nearly unplayable on the black keys near the hinge point. Im hoping the later ones may improve on this, particularly the hybrid grand which has attracted attention in no uncertain terms. . .

I find, and maybe Im not alone, that evaluating pianos is a perplexing business.

Are you referring to Casio's Privia line?If so...that's really interesting,as I am by no means...a traditional pianist,so my hands are not conditioned for heavy keys and yet,I found the CGP-700 to be the perfect balance,as it's weighted just right & responsive enough,for me to play all styles of music...effortlessly.

If you really hate Casio's action,try playing the Korg Triton Extreme 88 key,as you need sledgehammers for fingers,to perform effectively on that damned thing!

The more I think about it,the more I find it an absurd notion,to suggest to anyone,what the action of any key-bed feels like....as in the end....it always boils down to physically going to a store and having a hands-on demo for one's self.

"If you have good musicians around you,there's nothing to say...if you don't,there's nothing you can say"

-Cab Calloway
Its not absurd. Just my impressions relating to my longish fingers. I clearly understand differences in opinions are part of the variety of life. But we all have our reasons which are less obvious and more personal. The best two keyboards for me so far, are those on the cp 5 and the cvp 609. Next is that fitted on es7 and its successor on CN 35

Theyd be even better if they were lighter! And I am unanimous on that. . . smile

Last edited by peterws; 10/03/15 07:11 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Cant imagine for a moment wby folk like the Casio action.

Because it's typically compared to what else is available at under $1k. It's all relative...

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I would even go so far as to say that it compares favorably to the actions on boards costing several times as much. While I suspect that most would probably agree that it can't compete with high end actions from Kawai and Roland (and maybe Yamaha), I think a lot of people would probably find the action on the casio privia line to be comparable to keyboards using Fatar actions (including high end boards from Nord and Kurzweil that cost a few kilobucks) as well as the actions found on Korg's top of the line keyboards (which also cost a pretty penny).

The other thing that's amazing about the Casio action is how light weight it is. Their stage pianos typically only weigh about 25 lbs. That's pretty amazing when keyboards from other companies generally weigh twice that much.

Originally Posted by anotherscott

Because it's typically compared to what else is available at under $1k. It's all relative...

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Originally Posted by fizikisto
I would even go so far as to say that it compares favorably to the actions on boards costing several times as much. While I suspect that most would probably agree that it can't compete with high end actions from Kawai and Roland (and maybe Yamaha), I think a lot of people would probably find the action on the casio privia line to be comparable to keyboards using Fatar actions (including high end boards from Nord and Kurzweil that cost a few kilobucks) as well as the actions found on Korg's top of the line keyboards (which also cost a pretty penny).

The other thing that's amazing about the Casio action is how light weight it is. Their stage pianos typically only weigh about 25 lbs. That's pretty amazing when keyboards from other companies generally weigh twice that much.

Originally Posted by anotherscott

I guess thats me told. . . not for the first time. . .nor the last . . smile

Last edited by peterws; 10/04/15 07:49 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by fizikisto
I would even go so far as to say that it compares favorably to the actions on boards costing several times as much...I think a lot of people would probably find the action on the casio privia line to be comparable to keyboards using Fatar actions (including high end boards from Nord and Kurzweil that cost a few kilobucks) as well as the actions found on Korg's top of the line keyboards (which also cost a pretty penny).

I happen to prefer those Fatar TP40 (not TP100) actions to the Privia, but I would be curious as to whether there's any general consensus there (recognizing that you can pretty much always find someone who prefers keyboard x to keyboard y).

As for Korg, they really only have one "high end" action, it's the RH3, which is used in the $1500 SV1 ($1700 with 88 keys) and the pricier Kronos. I'm not sure how much agreement there is that the RH3 feels better than the Privia. I think the other actions that most people would prefer to Privia would include the $1800+ models from Roland and Kawai (FP80/MP7 and up), Yamaha CP4. For an 88 key board, short of that $1700 or $1800 price point, I don't think you'd find anything that people pretty consistently find better feeling than the Privia. And yeah, nothing else as easy to carry around.

If you judge by the key length and pivot point, Yamaha GH should be one of the very best.

Doesn`t always work like that in practice. Wonder why?

"[Linked Image]"
The thing that disturbs me about the Privia isn't the *feel* of the action, it's that the action is loud. To me, I heard it thumping even during quiet playing - and certainly while playing with headphones.

I don't know if others feel this way - but the loudness of using the action (with volume off - just the sound of fingers pressing keys) really matters to me.

Kawai actions are quieter to my ear.

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
M
M
Yes, the Privia action is one of the noisier ones. However, it is important to note that they all make noise. In general, if you notice the noise, your volume is down too low. So be sure to play test them at good volumes that an acoustic piano would be at (which is roughly at 75% volume).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bachus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Yes, the Privia action is one of the noisier ones. However, it is important to note that they all make noise. In general, if you notice the noise, your volume is down too low. So be sure to play test them at good volumes that an acoustic piano would be at (which is roughly at 75% volume).

Its espescially unpleasant when playing with headsets on.. You domt have any sound to cover the noise...

I think indeed the Casio and the Nord stage where quite noisy...

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jackifus
The thing that disturbs me about the Privia isn't the *feel* of the action, it's that the action is loud. To me, I heard it thumping even during quiet playing - and certainly while playing with headphones. . .

That's why God gave us closed-back headphones, and high-isolation "in-ear monitors" ( = expensive earbuds).

Try playing on an acoustic action, removed from its piano so that the strings don't sound. Clack-clack-clack-clack . . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
No DP action I have met so far has been as loud as an acoustic piano action. At the Steinway shop it was actually quite important to them to point out that a acoustic with "silent" enabled is actually not silent, but goes thumb-thumb-thumb and can be quite distracting to someone working/reading next to it.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission