Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) The Best of Both Worlds
Yamaha Hybrid the Best of Both Worlds
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (A Flat Minor, AndrewJCW, 36251, Adypiano, acortot, Albunea, 15 invisible), 1008 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2466604 - 10/05/15 07:27 AM AKG K702/712 headphones
dire tonic Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Does anyone own or have first-hand experience of either of these headphones?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2466662 - 10/05/15 10:41 AM Re: AKG K702/712 headphones [Re: dire tonic]
Chewbacca Offline

I have the 702 and absolutely love them. Very clean sound at any frequency with remarkable staging. Also they are very revealing and if you like detailed music representation they are definitely a good purchase.

I would not recommend them for a DP though:
- Firstly they are good when sat on a couch with a good book but rather on the heavy side with their big cups, and a lot of the weight is distributed on the outside of the cups. At least for me it would create too much tension on the neck when used while sat at the piano.
- On top of that they are probably too focused of a sound for my taste when sat at the piano. I prefer when the source is harder to identify which to me makes it more realistic when playing the piano.
- Lastly since they are very revealing they may represent some sound artifacts (resonance, harmonics etc..) rather on the metallic side and detached from the rest of the sound. For DP I'd rather have something that blends the sound even if it colors the tone a little.

For the reasons above I prefer to use Grado's SR60 with my DP.

#2466666 - 10/05/15 11:03 AM Re: AKG K702/712 headphones [Re: dire tonic]
2000 Post Club Member

- thanks, Chewbacca. You've confirmed what I've been reading about them. My better half has finagled my Senn HD595 which also have a reputation for flatness and I think the these AKGs might be similar but will be a pleasant and perhaps interesting change. They're a similar weight and I'm not fearful of artifacts in the Garritan CFX sample, in fact I might welcome them. With the security of amazon's return policy I think I'm going to take a chance on these.

#2466674 - 10/05/15 11:46 AM Re: AKG K702/712 headphones [Re: dire tonic]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Not much to add I had briefly the 702 to try and agree with Chewbacca in many ways.

In a nutshell expect moreforward treble over your senss, and less warm compared to the senns you are used to, that may or may not please you to begin with or get used to. AKG can be a bit on the cold side (IMO) , but they kick bud for a clear detailed sound and good sound stage.

Expect better control and damping over your senss ( though I never tried the 595 I am assuming they are similar enough to the 598 I own), in that sense you are looking at a better phone to what you had, for vocals I find, I notice less distortion in certain frequencies too, they can be wonderful for detailed listening vocals.

Personally I would not pick them for piano as such for a pleasurable sound when a piano is already on the brighter side, just my taste though. You may want to tame them a bit with EQ. Expect more of an an ear kicking compared to the senss signature you were used to which are laid back, they are more prone to fatique for most. I find that anyway.

Another way to look at them, There are phones that are bass heavy. In a sense the AKG are more on the other side of the spectrum being brighter and treble heavy.

More important for you to consider, these are phones that do benefit from a dedicated amp IMO, and it is not often I would subscribe to that making a marked difference unless you are talking really hard to drive phones in the sort of 150 OHm + range. with these I noticed how they are different when listening on my PC sound card, audio interface and headphone amp, more so than other phones in general considering the impedance is not that high, surprisingly, they need to be driven quite a bit compared to some before they start filling out. Makes sense in a way which is also why they are so clean and detailed at the same time, but they behave more like as if they were high impedance phones.

Edited by Alexander Borro (10/05/15 11:47 AM)
Self taught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course book 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various others.
Casio Celviano AP 450 & various peripherals.

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2466684 - 10/05/15 12:10 PM Re: AKG K702/712 headphones [Re: dire tonic]
2000 Post Club Member

- thanks AB. I'll take under advisement your observation about how they present an already-bright sound given that my aging lug'oles are probably in need of added stimulation in the high end anyway. I really like the fact that they don't overdo the bass end....and no vocals here......yet!!!

I've picked up mixed reports about their needing more power to drive them. Maybe the UR22 won't be enough. I don't want to start chucking more money on headphone amps or other extras so that might be a reason for sending them back.

If I buy them I'll report back.

#2467265 - 12 minutes 24 seconds ago Re: AKG K702/712 headphones [Re: dire tonic]
2000 Post Club Member

I bought them but disappointingly the UR22 doesn't have enough welly to drive them frown
They're loud enough with the volume control on high-ish but they start to distort at the slightest push in level. Shame.

I'm thinking now of changing interface for a mains powered model - the Audient iD14 looks promising but I'm wary of throwing good money after bad.

Moderator:  Piano World 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ROLAND A90ex, RD-500 or RD600... advice needed!
by AtlantisHero
47 minutes 27 seconds ago
Your favourite temperaments and client's reactions
by acortot
Today at 05:09 AM
buzzing hinge on upright
by TheTuner
Today at 03:47 AM
A Frame
by PhilipInChina
Today at 03:08 AM
Church Choir--what to expect?
by pianorigami
Today at 12:41 AM
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
Forums Rules & Help
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Forum Stats
80,967 Registered Members
44 Forums
167,351 Topics
2,452,440 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission