2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
I'm about to associate myself with a group which is might provide the opportunity to perform with ensembles drawn from an assortment of instrumentalists who play various instruments. I'm a pianist, and I might find myself in a group with a flute and two oboes, or a clarinet and a cello.

I wouldn't know where to start to find works scored for piano, flute, and two oboes. Are there any resources which will assist in finding music written for various combinations of instrumentalists?

Yamaha Avantgrand N3, Bush & Lane upright grand (1920s), Steinway upright grand (1893)
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My first address is imslp.org. There are different chamber music categories there: you need to dig around a bit, since not everything is correctly classified, but with patience you can usually find something.

Of course imslp only has public domain pieces. You'll also need to check out catalogues by different publishers. A simple internet search can bring up some interesting stuff as well.

You'll find quite a bit for clarinet, cello and piano (imslp has a page for this combination), but two oboes, flute and piano is not a standard combination. Many baroque pieces have parts that can be played alternatively on violin, flute or oboe, so you might find something from that period. Otherwise you'll probably need to arrange existing pieces. A while ago I did a concert for oboe, violin and piano. The only original piece we did for this combination was a very short piece by Georges Migot; everything else was arranged and adapted.

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
^ great ideas here, and with your combination of instruments you can also look for "piano and three treble instruments" or piano and three violins etc. At least no one is playing anything that transposes. Just check the ranges, as these are similar but not the same.

If you do want to try arranging things, you might like to try starting with vocal music with that combination? There would be a lot of music out there for piano and three treble singers, not too much work to arrange it, and some recognizable pieces of opera or sacred music might be lovely elements of a concert program.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
how about some contemporary stuff composed in the 21st century? Are you looking specifically to find scores for free? Or to buy as well?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission