2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Fatih
Tony, Zrtf , blueston and Charles, thanks guys.

Before starting guys, i need to tell you something. I joined to a band. I was given 5 songs to play(using chord charts). I figured the solo parts of all songs ! I am not bad at it. But there are some arpeggiated parts in songs that i can't get. For example listen to this. After every line , the keyboard guy plays something.

For example let's take 00:38 . He plays some arpeggios for 2 seconds. It is brilliant, but i can't get what he plays.

Em------Am-----G-----D
Yeryüzünde aşk durdukça

This is the chord chart of the part coming right before it.

https://youtu.be/tcuKK6I14g8

Tony , that was a long message. But i assure you that , i have way more theory knowledge than those you wrote. Which is a good thing, right? smile

zrtf, i will work on it man. Let me try and tell you how it did go.

blueston, to my understanding, i should be familiar with the main styles on the contemporary music. I should probably have played a dozen of them before too. Otherwise there is no way to get what is played in that particular music with your ear. Even if i can figure it out, i am sure i can't play it.

Charles this is a good idea. I will do that too.

Sometimes, we get so much "head knowledge" that we being to disconnect from any practical use for that knowledge, at which point it is really worthwhile to get back to the basics. I, too, have much more theoretical knowledge than what I posted. I got to the point where it was almost like asking a centipede which leg goes first - and not knowing what to do to get moving again. I had to get back to these simple basics.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Fatih
For example let's take 00:38 . He plays some arpeggios for 2 seconds. It is brilliant, but i can't get what he plays.

Em------Am-----G-----D
Yeryüzünde aşk durdukça

This is the chord chart of the part coming right before it.

https://youtu.be/tcuKK6I14g8

If you mean the bit that's bang on 0:38, he plays a transition from the D major chord (F# on top) to D sus (G on top).
There are two melody notes after that, up to D then down to B (Em chord). Maybe that's what you meant?

Last edited by dire tonic; 10/04/15 04:53 PM.
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Tony, i got you man smile .

Dire, you are a genious ! Great ! Now i feel like a real Rock keyboardist while playing this song smile . I can't believe with 1 little , tiny transition how better it can get.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7eWQVZyow

I gotta figure this one out know. I guess it consists of all basic chords. But i can't figure out the most part. I use transcribe too. Is there a hint or something you wanna give me for finding what chord it is?

I solved 1 song yesterday with this software. I am definitely progressing...

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Try an E minor chord moving to an A minor chord and see if your ears can guide you from there.

Last edited by Rerun; 10/09/15 05:47 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Rerun. Man , let's look at the first 5 seconds. On the left hand he keeps playing E2-E3 keys back and forth. On the right hand he starts with Em chord but the two chords he plays on second 3 and second 5 is a mystery. Am? I don't know. It didn't sound right when i played it.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Add F# and G to the basic E min chord then when it changes to Am add them to that. The F# and G don't really change the chord, just colour it. The F# turns Em into Em sus2.

They add the sixth and flattened seventh to A minor.

Richard
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Fatih, let me add to the great stuff Zrtf, DT and others have said ... give your ears a chance to understand what they are listening for (and why) a step or two at a time and you may avoid some frustration. This ain't a horse race but book it, I can understand your enthusiasm.

Chords tend to move in a predictable way for a lot of tunes that the EARS will pick up on if you let them, plus ears will begin to hear options to enhance what they already are telling your fingers to do. They are pretty incredible mechanisms to use in a pinch particularly when there no score to be found. grin

You're gonna be great at this stuff!

Last edited by Rerun; 10/10/15 08:14 AM.

Rerun

[Linked Image]

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Zrtf, now that was very helpful ! Thanks man. You guys saved my ass for tomorrows band rehearsal. Hehe.

Rerun when you said "if you let them" what do you mean man? How do i let them?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

If you use them to solve musical problems rather than a score. There are some turn-arounds that I remember working on forever until my ears finally got the fingers to strike the keys at the right time. You'll have moments like that too but it makes it worth it. Fun stuff learning to play music by ear that you and friends enjoy.

Rerun

[Linked Image]

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Rerun. I got you smile.

Guys, i swear to god i tried it hundreds of times but couldn't figure out the passage on 00:59 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS7eWQVZyow

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The right hand run? E, F#, G, B, A.

Richard
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I wasn't sure if it was LH or RH doing this. Suppose may work either way.

The chords do not change. Take last four beats of the EM and begin stepping up to the Am with ... F# G, B AM ... continue. You could use broken octaves LH, or try RH and see about preference. He then begins using this pattern more often.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The LH is moving up in 8th notes E1 E2 F#1 F#2 G1 G2 rest G2 (broken octaves as Jeff put it) RH joins LH for F# G (beats 2 and 3) then B on its own.

A simple integrated stave editor would be a nice feature for PW.

Last edited by dire tonic; 10/11/15 10:31 AM.
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
You are the best guys smile . Even though i am the least experienced one of all musicians in the band , i am the only one who knows exactly to play, hehe.

P
P
Mark Harrison's Contemporary Ear Training course is derived from the Dick Grove School of Music. It is the only ear training course that I know that is based on hearing the scale as a set of resting tones and active tones that want to resolve to resting tones. I ended up hearing music in a whole new way and that is after 3 years of college level ear training. I use this course in my teaching.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Pete i had been trying to save some money to buy it but after you comment i just couldn't wait and bought it smile .

Oh by the way, do you mean 3 years of college level ear training wasn't as effective as this set?

P
P
Fatih: Feeling the pull of active tones wanting to resolve to resting tones is a very effective way of hearing melodic lines accurately. It is quicker than the way I was trained in college. There, I was trained to hear intervals from one note to the next note. No consideration was given to the context within in the scale.

Hearing intervals in the context of the scale rather than just isolated to 2 note fragments, seems to be way more logical and helpful in deciphering melodic ideas.

It also helps to hear the resolutions when improvising so melodic ideas seem to imply where they want to go and things tend to flow in a natural line.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Can you show here how this method works?

P
P
Dire Tonic: I will try to give a short example.

The major scale contains resting and active tones.
Do Me So are resting tones.
Re Fa La Ti are active tones that want to resolve.

Chapter one of the course gets you to play and sing the resolutions.
Re down to Do, Fa down to Mi, La down to So, Ti up to Do.

Try playing a major scale up from DO and leaving it at Ti. Most people will hear that it sounds incomplete and wants to pull up to the last note Do. With a little singing and listening to resolutions you develop a sense of gravity pulling the active tones to resolution.

Practice singing Re-Do, Fa-Mi, La- So, Ti-Do and it will start to happen.

The course goes through intervals within the major scale starting with major 3rds. There are 3 major 3rds in the major scale. Do -Mi, Fa -La and So- Ti.

Do - Mi lands on a resting tone Mi so you will not feel a resolution.

Fa -La want to resolve. La wants to fall to So.

So -Ti wants to resolve the Ti up to DO.

Sing the thirds going down
Mi -Do no resolution.
La- Fa. Fa wants to resolve to Mi.
Ti -So, No resolution.

Each major 3rd in the scale acts differently. Some want to resolve and some don't and you will learn to hear the difference and identify whats happening in the context of the scale. This is more helpful than being trained to hear 2 note intervals isolated from melodic context as it was taught at the college I attended and most ear training books.

Next the major 3rd interval gets inverted and you will get to work out the resolutions of the minor 6th that results.

Mi up to Do. No resolution needed.

La up to Fa wants to resolve to Mi.

Ti up to So needs no resolution.

Sing them from top note down with the resolutions etc.

The course continues through all the intervals in the scale in this way. Each chapter has a healthy amount of dictations in several keys. The dictation melodies contain the resolutions and intervals studied in each chapter.

Hope that explains things in an understandable way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission