2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
...And this one is a special recital indeed, #40, representing ten straight years of AB Forum magic. wow

I had originally planned to submit an Einaudi piece (surprise!), but then Sam S. offered the intriguing suggestion that some people may choose to revisit their very first recital piece. Since my first recital submission sucked, I thought that was a good idea, so I have been re-working the piece ("Home" by David Nevue).

So assuming I can get a good take (my sweet hubby just gave me a new Zoom Q8 for my birthday!), that's what I plan on submitting.

How's everybody else doing?

M
M
I've only been involved in three recitals, but my first recording, the volume was so quiet hardly anyone could hear it. (aka technical issues).
So I'm really excited to be able to play it again, hopefully to a better standard.
It was an Einaudi piece (shock!) I Giorni. It remains something I play regularly, so I hope I can do it justice.

Congrats on your birthday present Monika! Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Last edited by Medden; 10/15/15 10:49 AM.
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
What?! Already? Didn't we just have one frown

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
1 month???? Already?
Oh, this is ABF Recital #40 and my 20th(!) Recital, so a double-win for me smile

Don't know what to submit. Maybe my first piece too, which was "la nascita delle cose secret" in November 2010 by (guess who!) Einaudi.
I think I'm still able to play it by memory, or I've to relearn it. thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
What? How did that happen. Oh my.

I can't believe how quickly the last month has flown by.

I checked my first piece and ....no, I don't want to redo it. It is a pretty tune and I still play it sometimes, but no.

Before Sam's suggestion of revisiting I had in mind 2 bluesy pieces and I think I'm going to stick to that. They're both very short but with different moods smile One is ready to roll (rock'n'roll almost) and the other.. still in the works.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I vote for erasing our first submission with our newer version and do this every 20 recitals until we(I) get it right smirk

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm keen. Not sure what I'll be playing yet. It won't be my first recital piece though. wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So is it any recital piece that’s been submitted for a redo ? - not the first ?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by piano_primo_1
So is it any recital piece that’s been submitted for a redo ? - not the first ?

Actually, you can submit anything. The re-doing of one's first recital piece is a suggested approach that many have liked and will probably follow.

I'll have something new (I've only submitted to one recital). smile

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
My first recital piece is quite difficult and completely forgotten... I'd love to do it but not sure I'll have time. I have quite a few pieces I am working on with my teacher and one that I could get to recording level with just a few days work.

I guess I will see what I can do and then decide.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suggested it a few times (and I promise it will be the last time), but I already started a topic for this purpose. Maybe making it an active topic by saving your revisited pieces for here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2424856/Recital_Revisited.html#Post2424856
... and keep posting new pieces to the original recitals.

BR, Johan

Last edited by johan d; 10/16/15 02:14 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Oh man!
Well I'm definitely not going to redo my first recital piece.

Plan A is to submit a "one that got away" piece - one I worked on a lot but could not get to recital standard. I've been working on it a lot again the last few weeks and it's much better, but still questionable if it'll make it or not.

I have a back up piece on the go too, but I'd forgotten about the theme, so perhaps I will dust off my second recital piece and see what I can do with that.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
People are free to do whatever they want in the quarterly recitals, playing something from the past is just a suggestion.

I'll submit my first piece again - I can still play it, hopefully better than I did way back then...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I think I can manage fantasie impromptu as long as I dont play the black notes. .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ha!! I am ready!! I recorded the Satie Gnossienne#3 at the same time I did the #7 for the last recital. For a change no last minute worries.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I plan on re-doing The Entertainer, tho I really have no idea how much better I might or might not play it :\ I have abandoned the octaves in it laugh and I'm not going to try to reintroduce them because I've been playing it all these years without them and it works fine for my purposes - I'll leave octave practice for other pieces. But I have been playing other ragtime pieces, and sometimes I've actually made them sound a little rag-ier, so I'm going to try to rework some accents and phrasing, some of which has changed a little just because of the other rags.

johan-d - for me, I just don't use recording much because it's such a physical hassle, so I only record for the quarterly (and so far 2 special) recitals, so celebrating the 40th anniversary by reprising my very first recital piece seems like a party to me smile Yours is a good idea, but I gig a lot, so the recitals here are my outlet for sharing music in the ABF. I'm not actually just ignoring you laugh , I'm just in a different space. I do read all your posts!

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
People are free to do whatever they want in the quarterly recitals, playing something from the past is just a suggestion.

Sam

At the risk of sounding like a super twit......
"well of course they are, there's no need to say that ...." ....(joke) lol smile

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by jotur
I plan on re-doing The Entertainer, tho I really have no idea how much better I might or might not play it :\ I have abandoned the octaves in it laugh and I'm not going to try to reintroduce them because I've been playing it all these years without them and it works fine for my purposes - I'll leave octave practice for other pieces. But I have been playing other ragtime pieces, and sometimes I've actually made them sound a little rag-ier, so I'm going to try to rework some accents and phrasing, some of which has changed a little just because of the other rags.

Changing those running octaves-plus-thirds to sixths will work just fine.

My only another advice is as a proxy. I haven't formally studied "The Entertainer". Why? Because my teach is known for ragtime and, if his young students ask to learn something, then that's a go-to piece. So it's his "Fur Elise".

But he did perform it recently and spun a narrative. Narratives based on ragtime titles are pretty dicey things, since the titles were often just assigned based on what the publisher thought would sell. But here you've got cover art for a variety or vaudeville show.

In the A section, you can see a strong call-and-response structure, where you could see the emcee introducing acts/telling jokes, interspersed with audience responses.

For B, C, D, imagine different acts with different characters coming on stage.

There's even an entr'acte.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I plan to pull out a piece that I recorded eight months, that still sounds pretty good to me. I haven't recorded anything in the past few months, and probably won't for the rest of this year.

Still I would like to participate.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
I'm new to the recitals, so I don't even have 10 recitals to look back on, much less 40! Therefore, it's probably silly for me to redo my first piece since it was rather recent. I think I'll just submit what I'm working on currently again if you don't mind. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission