Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
66 registered (ajeales, 821, augustm, agraffe, alerique, AZNpiano, 11 invisible), 875 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2470790 - 10/16/15 12:04 PM EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
With excitement of the Lucerne EPP settling down, I've already been getting questions asking "what about 2016?"

So it seems it is time to make the announcement - Italy has been on the table for a while and now it is a reality- I'll be hosting the 2016 event, in Milan. Sinophilia and Torquenale have offered to help out as needed, and I'm sure that between the three of us we'll manage to pull off a successful event!

I am hoping to find a restaurant, or a hotel / bar that will serve food, that already has a piano in place. That way we won’t have to pay to have one brought in.

In the past, we have generally met for lunch, had our party and gone out for dinner together.

Depending on when people arrive we can go out for dinner on the Friday night – and we can look at doing some sight seeing in Milan on the Saturday morning or on the Sunday.

We could also consider a day trip on the Sunday up to one of the lakes or to a winery, or something else - there are lots of options.

It is not difficult to get to Milan – it is well serviced by airlines and trains.

Getting to Milan
Milan has 2 airports, Malpensa (MXP) to the north, and Linate (LIN) to the east.

This website has information about both airports – click on the “SEA Network” tab at the top left of the page to switch from Malpensa to Linate. The site is available in English – see the right hand side for language selection.
AIRPORT INFORMATION

From Malpensa there is bus or train service to the city centre.
From Linate there is a bus, N 73

You could take a taxi from Linate, but from Malpensa that would be pretty expensive.

Once in the city centre, it is easy to get around with bus, tram or subway.

Getting around in Milan – I found a blog that tells you pretty much everything you need to know!

MILAN PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

As for hotels – given that I live here I don’t usually stay in hotels so I don’t have a lot of recommendations – however- there is a broad range of services, everything from five star luxury to simple B&Bs. While you might want to start looking at what is available, I would suggest holding off booking until we know exactly where the party is going to be held.

So.. I know it is early days yet, but --- who ‘s interested? Let me know and we’ll start creating our list!

XVIII-XL
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#2471031 - 10/17/15 07:06 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Confirmations already received!

Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Probably
earlofmar + Mrs - hopeful
SwissMs + G-Major confirmed
CarlosCC + Mrs - hopeful

casinitaly + mr - well, yup, that's a given smile

XVIII-XL
Follow your teacher's instructions and practice wisely/much, and you'll soon wonder how you ever found it hard. BobPickle
Performance anxiety: make it part of your daily routine and deal with it...Cope! zrtf90

#2471236 - 10/17/15 08:18 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
Whizbang Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I am not sure whether there are mountains near Milan, but if you find yourself unable to haul a piano up a mountain on a train, have you considered hiring some strong men to haul a piano around the city, maybe on some buses, before depositing it at the final venue?

#2471322 - 10/18/15 02:42 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Well, we could have the party on a tram and tour the city as we play, but I think that performing on a moving vehicle could be too much of a challenge. smile

XVIII-XL

#2471398 - 10/18/15 11:09 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: Whizbang]
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By Whizbang
I am not sure whether there are mountains near Milan, but if you find yourself unable to haul a piano up a mountain on a train, have you considered hiring some strong men to haul a piano around the city, maybe on some buses, before depositing it at the final venue?

And pictures or it didn't happen.

I love reading about you guys' adventures.

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2471418 - 10/18/15 12:14 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

And we can add

Wisebuff + Mr WiseBuff! Confirmed

Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Probably
CarlosCC + Mrs - hopeful

casinitaly + mr - well, yup, that's a given smile

XVIII-XL

#2472069 - 10/20/15 04:23 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
I do hope everyone can make it this year, I hope to come along too assuming nothing drastic comes up in the meantime smile

Edited by UKIkarus (10/20/15 04:23 AM)

#2472070 - 10/20/15 04:33 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

That would be great UKIkarus - we're getting replies from our "regulars" - it will be interesting to see if we have any newcomers to our event! Let's be optimistic on avoiding disasters and put you down as confirmed!

Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Confirmed
CarlosCC + Mrs - hopeful (maybe 2 kids)
Casinitaly + mr - well, yup, that's a given smile

XVIII-XL

#2472827 - 10/22/15 06:08 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

I live in Milan and, in theory, should have no problems in joining the party but it's too early to say. I started learning this September, I don't know what I'll be able to play, it's a piano party after all.

Kawai CA97 | YouTube Channel

#2472864 - 10/22/15 08:18 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Hi Mark!

I had no idea we had another member in Milan (I am actually not "in" Milan, but nearby).

You have to come - how can you refuse/resist!

- and you have lots of time to practice!

XVIII-XL

#2472880 - 10/22/15 09:17 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

Lots of time indeed! Consider me in!

#2473040 - 10/22/15 05:25 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Our numbers are growing!

f3r - confirmed!
Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Confirmed
earlofmar + Mrs Earlofmar- hopeful
CarlosCC + Mrs Carlos- hopeful (maybe 2 kids)
Casinitaly + mr casinitaly

Pat ---- do you think your sister will join us again? It would be fun to see her! Make sure she knows she is welcome!

XVIII-XL

#2473374 - 10/23/15 08:35 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I can't make it to Milan in summer, but I'm working on Bulgaria in the fall!

#2473453 - 10/24/15 04:35 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: malkin]

Originally Posted By malkin
I can't make it to Milan in summer, but I'm working on Bulgaria in the fall!

I'm looking at that possibility too smile

XVIII-XL

#2476206 - 11/01/15 12:40 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Sorry for the delay, I just can't skip this one! Please add me + Robi as confirmed smile

#2476290 - 11/01/15 04:16 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Sinophilia, I have been wondering when you would confirm!

Great

Sinophilia+ Robi - confirmed
f3r - confirmed!
Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Confirmed

XVIII-XL

#2477065 - 11/04/15 02:44 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I don't plan in advance, and probably (if history is any indication), in the end I won't come. But I really miss you guys, so I want to! Is that good enough for 'hopeful'? :p

#2477441 - 11/05/15 08:33 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Saranoya, I'm delighted to put you on the "hopeful" list!
Fingers crossed!

9 pianists confirmed!
3 hopefuls
4-6 friends/family

Saranoya - hopeful
f3r - confirmed!
Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Confirmed

XVIII-XL

#2479876 - 11/12/15 04:05 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Please hold a tentative spot for us (Frank Baxter "Piano World" & Kathleen (Kathy) Ford "ladyford").

We've been hoping to make it to one of the EPP events for a couple of years now.

With Italy being high on our must do bucket list (Kathy's ancestors lived in Italy, I just like good food and wine :-) ) it looks like the perfect event, even if it means maxing out our credit cards.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ, Harpsichord (kit), Clavichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield let's get together!

#2480028 - 11/13/15 04:54 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
Nikolas Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I'm quite interested, yet, as every year, I can't make any solid promises yet. frown I really don't know what happening and the coming summer will be as this summer it really will be impossible to escape that... :-/

#2480030 - 11/13/15 04:59 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Delighted to see more interest!
Frank - of course there is always a spot for you and Kathy! We would be delighted to have you join us!

Nikolas, it would be so great if you could come! I am going to practice from your duet book so if you do make it, I can play a duet with the composer! That would be terrific fun!

So, our newly revised list is:

9 pianists confirmed!
6 hopefuls
4-6 friends/family

Nikolas - hopeful
Pianoworld + ladyford - very hopeful!
Saranoya - hopeful
f3r - confirmed!
Torquenale - Confirmed
patH - Confirmed
UKIkarus - Confirmed

XVIII-XL

#2481001 - 11/15/15 04:58 PM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Last week our friend forum friend Whizbang was in Milan - and along with new forum member f3r, we went to check out a hotel with a piano in its bar area.

The manager wasn't there, but the folks in reception were very happy to have us play, and I have since written to the manager. (Thanks Torquenale for checking my Italian!) --- It turns out he is passionate about piano and is very happy to talk about organizing this party!

I will be talking to him in person soon and hope to have more news to share with you all shortly.

I will be amazed (and relieved) if this major point can be organized so soon!

XVIII-XL

#2481161 - 11/16/15 06:15 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
UKIkarus Offline

Loc: England, South East
Sounds good, Cheryl!

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for everyone, looking forward to meeting those I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting, as well as all of those who over the last few years, have made the last few trips an absolute pleasure.

#2482623 - 11/20/15 04:20 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

We have a venue.

It is the Hotel Pierre Milano.

http://www.hotelpierremilano.it/eng/index.html
It is a five star hotel, in the centre, near a subway stop, (S. Ambrogio).
The staff that I met speak English, and the hotel has been recently rennovated, so the rooms are supposed to be very nice. I will check them out personally as soon as I can. I plan to go into town again to meet the manager in person and discuss the menu for the buffet lunch.

For our lunch, and full use of the bar/piano room from 1pm to 6pm, the cost is 45 euros per person.

If any children attend we will negotiate a lower fare for them.

The hotel has some good rates for rooms, going from about 150 a night for the more simple rooms - not bad for a five star hotel in Milan! Of course there are also more expensive rooms!

You can book on line - those prices are probably the cheapest.

There are also a number of hotels in the area with different price ranges.

It is a very nice area, shops, one of the main universities, an ancient church, restaurants, a 10 minute walk to the heart of the city - it's a good location.

Later I will be discussing the menu with him, for the buffet so please let me know if anyone has any food allergies.

The manager is a very pleasant fellow, quite happy to have a piano party in his hotel - (he really likes piano but doesn't play - who knows, we may convince him to start!).

He knows we are at 12 confirmed now and didn't impose any minimum.

Our list to-date:

CONFIRMED
Sinophilia+ Robi
f3r
Wisebuff + Mr WiseBuff
Torquenale (MAYBE + Mr. Torquenale , maybe + 2 kiddy Torquenale)
patH
UKIkarus
SwissMs + G-Major

HOPEFULS
Nikolas - hopeful
Pianoworld + ladyford - very hopeful!
Saranoya - hopeful
CarlosCC + Mrs Carlos- hopeful (maybe 2 teens)

Draft PROGRAMME:

For those who arrive on Friday, I will organize a dinner.
Depending on how and when you arrive I will try to meet you but as some will be flying in, some will be driving in and some will be coming in by train... .that could be tricky!

I will work to provide you all with good instructions for how to get from your arrival point to your hotel.

Saturday - free morning, meet at hotel 12.30/13.00 for the party.

After the party, a little walk in the area - dinner at about 8pm.

Sunday: for those who stay, I will take you on a guided tour of Milan - or we can look at the options of going to a winery and out for lunch, or up to one of the lakes with a boat trip and lunch.

None of this is fixed - except the party time.
I know that some people arrive earlier than others, and some stay longer - some come just for the day.
There is no real rush to let me know your plans, we have the most important details set.

I would advise you to book your rooms no later than March though, as July can be a busy month here in Milan.

Over the next few weeks I will start posting some information about the city.

XVIII-XL

#2482626 - 11/20/15 04:30 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

That's great!
So are we going to use the Schimmel that is already there?

#2482628 - 11/20/15 04:34 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

That's correct Mark --- do you know, I had remembered it as a Kawai? It must be because we went to the Kawai showroom after we were at the hotel and I got confused!!!

Thanks for the correction!!!!

XVIII-XL

#2482635 - 11/20/15 05:05 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

Well, you played the Kawai but not the Schimmel while I did the opposite. That might be a reason too.

The Schimmel is not bad at all but needs to be at least tuned... I'm too used to the perfect tuning of my digital, it's incredible how I found that to be so distracting. The action was not only heavy but also a bit stiff, if I remember correctly.
I know that money is needed to set it up (duh), so I'm willing to cover a part of that, however... the piano is theirs and they should take more care of it or maybe I'm just being a bit picky because I know I can quickly get used to it, the piano is still playable and all of what I've mentioned is not a real problem for me.
There is one thing I'm concerned about: I didn't take a close look to it but the bench had a crooked leg...

2 weeks have passed from that day so I'm not 100% sure of the things I listed.

I'm not sure how much it is to get the piano tuned, maybe €80-100? So that's makes me wonder how much does a proper set-up cost and if it's worth.

Edited by f3r (11/20/15 05:07 AM)

#2482638 - 11/20/15 05:12 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]

Yes, I am sure we can have it tuned before the party - I don't think that will be a problem at all - thanks for offering to chip in - I hope that the hotel will do it, but I'll chip in too if they don't offer.

If Frank comes, he says he'll tune it smile That would be an interesting twist to the party.

Whizbang said the action was a little heavy, but not hard to adjust to.

I didn't find the piano glaringly out of tune while you and Whizbang were playing - and I'm usually pretty sensitive to that. In any event it will be tuned before the party.

XVIII-XL

#2482639 - 11/20/15 05:31 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: casinitaly]
f3r Online   content

Originally Posted By casinitaly
If Frank comes, he says he'll tune it smile That would be an interesting twist to the party.

That's cool, I would like to watch the piano being tuned!

Whizbang said the action was a little heavy, but not hard to adjust to.

Yes, I think the same. I played multiple times on a Tallone baby grand with a heavy action in my music school and realised it takes just a bit of time to get used to it.

I didn't find the piano glaringly out of tune while you and Whizbang were playing

I had the same impression while Whizbang was playing but than I started and made me wonder if I was playing the right notes... add that to the fact I wasn't really prepared to play, I was quite confused, haha. Maybe it is a beginner thing.

#2482641 - 11/20/15 05:36 AM Re: EUROPEAN PIANO PARTY 2016 - MILAN ITALY - 2 JULY [Re: f3r]

Originally Posted By f3r
I didn't find the piano glaringly out of tune while you and Whizbang were playing

I had the same impression while Whizbang was playing but than I started and made me wonder if I was playing the right notes... add that to the fact I wasn't really prepared to play, I was quite confused, haha. Maybe it is a beginner thing.

That could be it, you are doing really amazingly well with your progress and what you can do, but you have only been playing a few months, and a lot of that has been on the digital.

Plus you could be super-senstive as to the sound.
Anyway, I repeat, I will make sure it gets tuned before the party, one way or another.

I'll be going back - probably several times and can check on it over the next few months to see how stable it is.

XVIII-XL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $4700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning your chords
by johan d
02/10/16 01:31 AM
Seeking advice on a compact digital piano
by joshjackson
02/09/16 11:19 PM
Piano Competitions Need to use new Concerti - J. Biegel
by Piano World
02/09/16 05:29 PM
2016 Chicago International Duo Piano Competition
by Piano World
02/09/16 04:48 PM
International Piano Competition - CA - March/April 2017
by Piano World
02/09/16 04:40 PM
Forum Stats
82,529 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,377 Topics
2,493,771 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission