2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I decided to buy the Kawai CA97. I am looking for a light that I can put on top of the piano. On our Yamaha YDP-181 we used a light directly behind the music rest. This piano does not have much room behind the music rest because of the speaker bar. I would love to know what others are using for lighting options.

Thanks!

Last edited by lance111; 10/19/15 01:53 PM.

Kawai CA97 - I love it!
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I've seen the IKEA Jansjö lamp mentioned several times on the forums. I like it, but might not be to everyone's taste; if it physically fits.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
As I mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I have a very old floor lamp that belonged to my grandmother. It was originally a kerosene lamp but someone converted it to be an electric light at some point. It's a unique lamp (when is the last time you saw a kerosene floor lamp?) and it's the perfect height and "reach" to illuminate the score and the keys when I center it behind the piano. I've had this lamp for over 50 years and never really had a use for it until I got my piano a few months ago.

The contrast between a 100-year-old lamp and a modern digital piano amuses me, too.

You might want to consider getting a floor lamp. My lamp isn't a bridge style, but that style might be the real thing for a piano lamp if you're purchasing it for that purpose. Get a floor lamp and there's no need for it to take up any space at all on top of your piano.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
M
M
I bought a K&M led lamp.

As you said CA97 doesn't have too much room so. So, I added and small foam bed, just enough to give stability.

I have some pictures, but don't know how to upload to this post. I could send you by PM.

Sorry

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
I've seen the IKEA Jansjö lamp mentioned several times on the forums. I like it, but might not be to everyone's taste; if it physically fits.

I'm using two of them and they work great, but on a baby grand. The price was right, too. $10 each. Some might find them too War of the Worlds, though. I have some kind of older IKEA lamp on my CP4, but it has a big base and sits on a shelf, so it wouldn't work for the OP.

A
A
Lance, I may not be able to offer you good advice, as I own the CA65, and its architecture is apparently quite different from that of the CA97.(By the way, congrats on deciding to buy this splendid piano. I'm hoping that maybe by the middle of 2016 I might be able to upgrade to the CA97 or CA67.) Maybe I could offer a suggestion, though.

I have a brass piano lamp with a perfectly square base that measures to a depth of six inches. I have it sitting over a small piece of cardboard and its forward base is snug against the CA65's black plastic grid. The lamp hangs over the back about one inch, which doesn't matter in the least since no one can see it. That works for me, but only because I don't have a speaker bar stretching across the back. Even so, would it be possible to gently place some kind of thin cardboard support base over the speaker to support a lamp, in a fashion similar to what I'm doing? (I'm not sure if this would affect sound quality.) To be honest with you, that doesn't sound like a good idea, because a lamp can be quite heavy, but I thought I'd mention it.

Your solution will be important to me, as I would like to upgrade in the future, so I'm hoping you'll tell us how you resolved the problem. Thanks for reading.

UPDATE: I'm very sure that I saw piano lamps in music stores that had rectangular bases, rather than bases that were square or round, and I believe these would fit perfectly with the CA97. However, it seems to me that they would be top-heavy, so I'm not sure if that solution would work. But you might try checking various music and furniture stores to see what they might have in stock.

Last edited by ADWyatt; 10/20/15 11:44 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission