2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, 8 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Zerlina Offline OP
OP Offline
Is it terrible / unacceptable to omit a note in a big chord if it's a painful stretch for a person with small hands?

I'm playing Chopin's E Minor prelude and there are a couple of places where I'm really hurting my wrist to make the stretch. One spot, for example, is A, C, F#, A. I was thinking maybe I could omit the top A. I see my teacher in a week so I'll see what he thinks, of course. I've heard you can use the pedal and roll them? I think he said his teacher is also a lady with small hands and she does this very well. Maybe it's something I can learn.

I feel badly I can't comfortably play what's written but I also don't want to injure myself. It looks like I'm clawing the piano; you can see the tension. I'm going to leave it alone until I see what he recommends.

I was just curious to hear about what other small handed pianists do.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

In classical you roll it. Popular you could roll or re-arrange, try the various inversions and omissions.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As a rule of thumb you can roll it, and you should avoid pain at all cost... but you need to communicate it to your teacher to figure out where is the problem (small hands you would have issues also in other places in this prelude, flexibility, this is the spot that does hurt)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Zerlina
II'm playing Chopin's E Minor prelude and there are a couple of places where I'm really hurting my wrist to make the stretch. One spot, for example, is A, C, F#, A.

What are the others, outside of the last two bars?

Regards,

Polyphonist
Zerlina Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Zerlina
II'm playing Chopin's E Minor prelude and there are a couple of places where I'm really hurting my wrist to make the stretch. One spot, for example, is A, C, F#, A.

What are the others, outside of the last two bars?

The measure I mentioned in my original post and the last two bars....exactly.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
When a stretch is really uncomfortable for your hand, you have to leave out notes or roll the chord. There's no point in calling it terrible or unacceptable when it is just the reality of your physical structure. You have to put the health of your hands first. In most cases such adjustments do not affect the musical experience of the listener.

On the other hand, sometimes a different technical approach can enable you to play chords comfortably even if they seem like a stretch at first. This is a matter for a knowledgeable teacher. It's good that you're listening to your body's signals. A good teacher can help, but only you can tell how it feels.

1989 Baldwin R
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Sometimes you omit, but mostly you roll. In some cases the other hand can help. It depends on the music. In this prelude I omit one note in the last bars because it fits the music better than rolling. But generally I almost never omit even though my RH span is pathetic. Then again, I don't play certain composers...

It is perfectly acceptable to do these things when something is physically impossible.

But I think it's good to consult your teacher, because the fact that you find other chords in this piece painful suggests that you may not have the technique yet to play them rather than simply having a small hand. The A C F# A chord shouldn't be impossible unless you really have an exceptionally small hand. It could be an issue with wrist or arm position, because of having to go up the keyboard.

Last edited by outo; 10/24/15 02:48 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I suffer from small pianist syndrome. I am only 5'7" tall so on the small side but even for one so small I have quite small hands. I do find stretching for such chords to be very difficult.

To make matters worse my right little finger is almost dead as I suffered some nerve damage in it many, many years ago. Strangely, though, as nerves never grow back, as I play more I do seem to be getting some sensation back in it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My hands arent small but I can only do somuch witj them. I have become ab expert at simplifying music, an achievement of which I am immensely proud.
But my spe

Ings still crap. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
J

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina
......To make matters worse my right little finger is almost dead as I suffered some nerve damage in it many, many years ago. Strangely, though, as nerves never grow back, as I play more I do seem to be getting some sensation back in it.
Some nerve growth can occur or new nerves move in and compensate. Many years ago I severed a nerve in the side of my finger #3. The whole side of my finger was numb and I had general "buzziness" in that finger. But it slowly got better. Slow as in after 10-15 years it was back to normal, no numbness or buzzing.

Zerlina, your teacher is your best bet for deciding what to do with the chords. Often the culprit is not small hands, but poor span and flexibility. I have long, thin fingers but can barely make a 90-degree angle between my thumb and pinkie. My teacher, who has been playing since age five, comes close to 180-degrees. Her hands are much smaller than mine.

As others have mentioned, rolling is one possibility, but doesn't always fit with the piece. Leaving out a note is another possibility. I recently had an E-F#-E chord in the right hand, followed by E-F#-D# and E-F#-C#. I could play the last two but not the first. My teacher suggested leaving out the bottom E of the first chord, the one I couldn't reach. There is an E in the left hand chord that partially compensates.

A third possibility is to carefully, very carefully, work your way into the chord. I've had a lot of "impossible" chords that I've been able to play after some practice. But you must be very careful not to injure yourself. An injury is far worse than, well, just about anything.

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
One point as well is to think- is it worth it? Don't risk permanent damage. I am sure that those of us in ABF are bever going to be professional pianists! So if you are getting on in years and the fingers won't do it, leave it at that! I don't want some painful problem to develop due to stretching beyond what my body wants to do.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Zerlina Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all of the responses. smile

I tried again today (with flatter fingers) and I can manage the chord but I have to watch that I don't also hit the B. I think the chord is possible for me -- given time working on it slowly and without tension. But my piano teacher has the final say and I won't risk injury. Not sure about those two final measures either but I'll see what he recommends. He's very good.

Thanks again, everyone.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Another thing to look into is smaller keyboards. There are 7/8 and 15/16 size boards that can be custom made for your piano. (An octave on the 7/8 board is the same distance as a seventh on a regular one. The 15/16 splits the difference.)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission