Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#247398 - 12/01/06 09:55 PM Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
jmel Offline

Could anyone give me a comparison on these two models? How do they compare as far as quality, action and tone? I am curious because it would seem as though they should be fairly equivalent models for each manufacturer, but I have found a significant difference in price with the K-3 going for around $5000 and the U1 for closer to $7000.
Thanks!

Jeff

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#247399 - 12/02/06 09:58 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Just compare the U1 with the K-5 instead.

Don't just compare how "tall" the piano is, also compare how "deep" the piano is -- measure horizontally on the side from the back to the key slip our front. You'll see that K-5 is "deeper" than the K-3 in this dimension. This says "longer keys" and is supposed to provide "better control." (Whether you feel the "better control" is a matter of subjective opinion.)

#247400 - 12/03/06 08:31 PM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
asd123321 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Don't assume the U1 is better because of price. I don't see why the K3 wouldn't be compared to the U1. The main difference is the overly bright tone of the U1 which I don't like.

#247401 - 12/05/06 03:12 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
The key lengt is an interesting topic.

The Yamaha SU models, which is ranked (and priced) above the U range is not as deep. Generally modern Asian and European upright pianos pianos (Bl├╝thner is an exception) are less than 60 cm from fron to back. Why - if this really affects the feeling of the action?

As the touch is a result of so many factors, I have found small pianos which have been be very nice to play on. So trust your own feel, and do not look at figures.

#247402 - 04/01/07 11:20 PM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
homes Offline

Loc: Chicago
Sorry to hijack this thread but there hasn't been a post here so... I just joined and afraid to admit, I can only play "Mary had a little lamb". My kids are learning and I just started to hit the keys as well on our $200 Yamaha keyboard, it's fun. We are in market to buy a new piano. I wanted a digital but there is something alluring about a true instrument and paying for tunings twice a year so acoustic it is. Problem is that I don't trust "our" ears because of lack of experience. However, here is our dilemma and our observations so far. Hoping you guys can help a newb with questions.

Yesterday, we went to a Yamaha dealership and liked the Yamaha U1 probably because to my ears, it seemed to be a bit brighter, livelier than a few Broadman's we also played with (daughter can play a bit of the symphony #9). Apparently I had to pull the trigger by today to get an awesome price of $6000 (US) plus tax and delivery, including one free tune. We just started and politely declined as I have shopped for cars before and imagine this is no different.

Today, we went to a Kawai dealer based on our research here at the forum. Agree that the build quality seemed to be essentially the same as the Yamaha. The salesman/owner of course tried to impress us with some adv. hammer system (composite versus wood, patented versus not), how the K5 had better keys than K3, 1 inch bigger board (or size, don't remember) which according to him yielded a much superior sound, etc.

Dilemma and questions:
- I think the two dealers are a wash although I prefer the Kawai dealer better even though he tried to discredit the Yamaha any chance he could (his job I guess).

- I think I am more attracted to the Yamaha name but feel that the K5 is a better instrument which I could get for two hundred more although I haven't tried to negotiate much with these guys. I have a feeling I am pretty close to a final price based on what others are paying, a few hundred here and there is not going to matter much.

So, here is the $7000 question (tax, delivery, tuning included). Which would you buy, K5 or U1? Why? Is it really going to come down to a presonal preference?

Thanks,

#247403 - 04/02/07 02:42 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I'm not an expert, just another adult beginner, but I do think it's a matter of personal preference. Kawai and Yamaha are both excellent.

When I shopped, I considered Kawai among others, but ended up with a Yamaha U1 (actually, the Disklavier version). The action on the Yamaha is just more comfortable for me than the Kawai. Each time I tried other pianos, I kept going back to the U1 and thought "this is the one", but out of curiosity, I wanted to be sure and tried more pianos.

Also, although many people on this forum claim Yamaha to be too bright, it's not true 100%. My U1 is on the mellow side, as my technician agrees, but it has that clarity that I absolutely love!

As far as the Kawai pianos, is there another Kawai dealer you could visit? Good salesmen really should avoid discrediting other brands especially since they don't know who their potential customers are. Or perhaps, ask for another, more tactful salesman at the store you visited.

Good luck! Go with the one you love!

#247404 - 04/02/07 06:30 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Corwin120 Offline

Homes, I decided against a dealer because of his continually bashing other piano brands. The dealer I did buy from was extremely open and honest and had nothing but nice things to say about a lot of pianos he did not carry. He was also the only dealer to suggest I read Larry Fine's book.

#247405 - 04/02/07 09:20 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
tjbsb Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
When I was shopping I felt that the K3 and K2 were more or less comparable to the U1. I thought the K5, K6 and K8 were more comparable to the U3. In the end I selected a K5. The deciding factors were tone and the quality of the local dealer. The Kawais I played sounded warmer and in all cases I would be buying what I saw and touched on the sales floor. I did not like the Yamha tone as much. Furthermore, the Yamaha dealer had very agressive salespeople and wanted to sell me a U3 new out of the crate.

#247406 - 04/03/07 12:02 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Apostle Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
jmel:

You shouldn't have to pay $7k for a U1....closer to $5,800 I would think depending where you live, maybe less if you are a crafty negotiator.

I tried both the U1 and K3 before purchasing a Walter studio...made in the USA.

#247407 - 04/03/07 12:24 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

homes,

Between Yamaha U1 and Kawai K5, assuming you like them both just as much, then:

1. If "resale value" or "ease of resale" is a factor, get the Yamaha.

2. Otherwise, just buy the cheaper of the two.

#247408 - 04/03/07 10:40 PM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
homes Offline

Loc: Chicago
Thanks everyone. Axtremus, well put. tjsb, the problem is that the K5 is not in stock and I am told it will be a couple of weeks. So, I need to do a refundable deposit deal, take my instructor there (whose input I trust) and decide whether I want to buy or not or find another dealer that has it ready to go. Even then, how do you compare a U1 (which could be out of tune) versus a K5 that is superbly tuned or vice versa...At the end of the day, should I just hope that these things are made consistently enough that tuning will give me similar performance results, either Yamaha or Kawai?

Also, I keep reading on various forums that don't buy the grey market piano (does that mean Chinese, used or ebay?). I thought all these models I am considering are made in one place in Japan.

One more point of clarification as well. Have we established that a U1 is more like a K3 and a U3 is more like a K5 or is that a marketing gimmick? tjsb?
Thx.

#247409 - 04/04/07 12:20 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

U1 is 48" tall.
K5 is 50" tall.
K6, U3 are 52" tall, without true sostenuto (which I don't see as a big deal).
K8, U5 (YUS5) are 52" tall, with true sostenuto pedal (which I don't see as a big deal)

If I have to group them, I'd put K5 closer to U1, and K6 with U3.

#247410 - 04/04/07 09:23 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
MusicBud Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
In addition to what Ax said, K6 has duplex scaling and agraffes, 6 back posts (if you want stronger structure) when compared to U3. Plus the Millenium III action which I like most.

#247411 - 04/05/07 11:28 AM Re: Comparing the Kawai K-3 to the Yamaha U1
clam Offline

Loc: Singapore
I have tried both the U1 and the K3. While the U1 sounded bright, which I didn't expect to sound any different for a Yamaha, I was really blown away by the K3. But what took the cake was the touch - I thought the Millenium III action was just a marketing gimmick but it turned out the difference was quite significant. I tend to compare the Yamaha keys to a power steering in a Japanese car - overly light but effortless, while the Kawai is like that of the Continental car - slightly more feedback and feel.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, Akshay, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1694 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
56 minutes 29 seconds ago
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission