2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
PamDD Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'll say up front, I know this is highly subjective, BUT....

I've been looking on Craig's List for a vertical (taller than a console) for several months. I prefer a more mellow tone so I would go for a Kawai K3 or higher over the Yamaha U1. I've missed out on two K3's in the $4,000 range. Both were four years old.

I haven't seen a Charles Walter in person, but from what I've read, it would probably be a good fit for me. Once again, I missed out on a 2002 CW for $3500.

So, for the subjective question: Since I need to expand my search, what other models should I consider? It's been suggested to me that I'd probably prefer the big sound of an American-made vertical. I'm confused about the Baldwins since they seemed to vary in quality. Which years should I consider?

I would prefer to pay under $4,000 on a model less than 20 years old. Thanks, all!

Last edited by PamDD; 10/26/15 08:33 PM.
J
J
The piano can speak for itself. You just have to listen.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Pam, it sounds to me like you need to be ready to act/respond to these pianos a bit more quickly when they come up for sale, and you won't keep "missing out" on them. smile

Of course, I've missed out on a few good deals on nice pianos myself.

Thing is, the really good buys don't last long. The rest seem to sit for sale perpetually.

Good luck, and keep looking! The perfect piano for you will come along; and you will know it when it does.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Hi PamDD

Don't get too frustrated I think you just have to be ready as soon as you find one that suits your tastes and budget. My feeling is that good used pianos get picked up very quickly.

I originally was looking for a used Yamaha in your same price range, but after searching I ended up getting a new piano. I wrote a review of the piano I purchased in the new piano section of the forum. It's a 48" upright Knabe, built by Samick and has a quite nice warm sound in my opinion. I played it side by side with a Yamaha B2. You may like to try one of those out and see if it suits you.

Good luck on your search, enjoy it, buying a piano can be a very fun experience smile

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission