2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 424 of 540 1 2 422 423 424 425 426 539 540

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074

1) Adults love their comfort zone and they are too conscious about their performances. Culturally they grew up in societies where daily victories are expected and small failures are going to be remarked forever.
2) Adults are afraid to fail, so they don't even try. If they try, they tend to give up easily. They think that a sequence of failures just mean lack of skills, while, a sequence of failure is the only road that goes to a victory, all the other roads just go home.
3) They mostly are in the mindset that they achieved their educational goals years ago and now they should enjoy the fruit of it

Luckily I actually do not fall into any of these categories. Phew!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
If you wish to indulge me a little, I'd like to try to understand a couple of things.
Why do you estimate it's going to take you about 3 to 4 years to get through RCM 6?
To me sounds like, either you are not efficient at all in practicing, and your teacher didn't teach you properly how to do it, or your teacher is not pushing hard enough, in both cases, I'd have a chat with your teacher.

I mean, I don't know you, I don't know how old you are and how quickly you are able to learn something and how much practice you are able to put on a weekly basis. I mean I expect that kind of progression from my wife who practices only once or twice a week in a not very efficient way... but being my wife, I can only try to "nudge" her a little in the right direction before we are going to have a problem.

In your case I wouldn't play more than 6 to 10 pieces at any given level, excluding 9 and 10, and 2 or 3 etudes. At any time, I would like to have you practice 4 pieces, one from each list and one etude and keep maturing them in this way... that makes 4 completed pieces per year... to me, if this is the scenario, would be a big red alarm sounding loud that something is not working properly, and usually, it's the learning strategies.

Again, I'm not trying to imply anything, I'm just trying to understand if your teacher is going in the right direction with you.

There are three reasons. First, I have a fairly busy career. I'm at work away from home 60+ hours a week. Second, I have 2 children at home, both requiring a fair amount of time and energy when I get home. Then there is my spouse whom I try not to ignore. Everyone has needs including me. As a result, I have very limited time for piano. I practice as efficiently as possible, since piano is my outlet, I would not give this limited time up for other "events". Third, my teacher has high standards. She said I could do it and doesn't want to accept a typical 12 year old treatment of RCM 6 from me. I find that inspiring. What do I care whether I'm playing RCM 6 or 8 or even 10? Just another number. I just want to do my very best with whatever music is in front of me. I'm not doing this to pass exams. I don't care how many years it takes to finish RCM 6. It can take as long as it takes.

I do believe only youngsters have the right mental tools to do what you suggest. Do the minimum for RCM 1-8 then really spend time on RCM 9-10. That's actually a recipe for failure for adult beginners. My children are doing exactly what you suggest with good success. Adults are not children. Adult re-beginners are not adult beginners. You under-estimate the gift you had as a child. If you were to learn what you did in your 40's what you learned as a child, it would take you much longer as it is taking me. For me, each grade level felt significantly harder than the last. My children kept telling me that's not the case for them. In fact, they say it is getting easier, and they have the exam scores to prove it.

I think my teacher understands that I may never have the chance to practice 3-4 hours a day like she did in high school, and 6-8 hours a day in conservatory, so she is asking me for as much details in my playing as possible as early as possible, maybe to spread the difficulty out over many years instead of compressing it in a few years for most conservatory students.

She has this 20-year plan for me. Our joke to each other is let's neither one of us get hit by a bus. Recently I got pretty frustrated, so we did have several long conversations already. I had a near total mental breakdown, from stress, from work, from family. I think it's in every student's rights to have a total mental breakdown at least once or twice in front of their teacher over the many years. Almost always, I am in agreement with my teacher.

BTW, let's continue this discussion off line in PM and not take the thread off too much on a tangent. I do appreciate your input!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How do you manage to find time for anything let alone the piano???!!!

Be yourself

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
How do you manage to find time for anything let alone the piano???!!!

Which is why I had a complete melt down in front of my teacher recently. She helped me understand my limits and help me devise a completely different approach to week nights compared to weekends.

D
D
Aotw , I recall having some difficulty in finger fluidity in some of my czerny studies last year and beginning of this year (299) and ever since I got into working w Chopin etudes this year for technical practice, I revisited some of my czerny last night and lo and behold how wondrous it was to note how facile it was for me to grip these passages like none other before. Progress provides a euphoric feeling.

debussychopin.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
My lesson today elicited the closest to a compliment I have gotten from this teacher to date:

"You played that the best you have played yet"...

may not seem like much but that is the equivalent of high praise from her.

M
M
Hehe, that sounds like my life, except we have 5 little kids smile I'm happy with my 15-20 minutes of piano at 9:30 pm before bed.

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Yes, and you're so wise to be happy with 15 minutes. With my teacher's support, that's my new routine, 15-20 minute a night during the week.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW of the week was hosting my last local piano party today. It was really wonderful. We had eleven people, eight who played piano. After everyone played their performance piece, we had an apero and then we all went back to the piano. I ended up playing my three ABRSM grade 6 pieces plus my recital piece, and it went better than I expected. I was very happy with my performance and all the time away from the piano with my travel lately.

Once I get relocated to points south, I definitely have to start another piano club!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Feeling great this week. Things are really coming together on the two pieces I have working on with my teacher. Still a fair way to go on those, but all the same it is obviously time to add a couple more to the WIP list so yesterday we were chatting about repertoire.
The two we've been working on are baroque and classical, so for variety we decided we'll pick a romantic and a 20C piece.
His suggestion for the romantic piece is for me to choose a Chopin nocturne yippie

Now, decision time - do I pick up the C Minor posth one I started 18m ago and abandoned halfway through, or start fresh with a new one?

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No real AOTW's for me here in teacher-limbo, but a couple of things to look forward to.

I decided to spend a week at Christmas with my sister's family and grandkids in the Seattle area...my great nieces and nephews are at ages I don't want to miss out on, and it will be great to get away for a while.

Then I realized they have a nice old Steinway sitting there going mostly unused. So, the collection of Christmas tunes is already on the music desk and I am working on three or four simultaneously. Planning to copy my current pieces and the Christmas tunes and mail them to myself in Seattle. Oh, and the Christmas gift I want from my Sister.....tune that Steinway, I'm on my way.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Giacomo, that sounds like great way to spend your Christmas!
I just got out my Christmas music and was pleased to see how much easier the pieces seem this year. They are a sort of benchmark for me, as I only look at them from Nov to Jan each year.
I think the first year I had the book I could only play the right hand!

Barbaram, as much as I love the posthumous Waltz, I would suggest you go on to a new piece. Pick up some more technical skills and then go back to it. I tried going back to pieces partially studied and found that my timing was off and I still couldn't get into them properly. Of course, it might be different for you, ... Let us know!

My AOTW: After missing my lesson last week and having seversl days away from piano (travelling in and around Madrid for Hubby's big birthday celebration), I still managed to get several "good" comments from my teacher....and he is sparing with those, so I am really pleased to have heard more than one in a single lesson. This tells me I am practising more efficiently, for sure!

I am also really excitd, because he has suggested that I move up to a full hour a week instead of 45 minutes. 45 is the standard slot for this school. Little kids get 30 minutes (5-6 year olds) then everyone else has 45.

I am going to start the second movement of the Diabelli sonstina (op 168, n2), and another Bach minuet.

Also, on Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting Whizbang who was traveling in Italy, in person. What a friendly, easy to talk to fellow pianist- you really can know what to expect from reading someone's posts for a few years!!
We were joined by f3r, a new member who lives in Italy.
Very pleasant, indeed.
We found a piano and entertained each other for a bit.
It was great fun

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F
f3r Offline
F
My AOTW:
- My teacher saying "The opening was beautiful!" on Bach Invention 1. The other pieces and the exercises were not great, I'd say horrible.

- For the first time I was able to play relaxed in front of my teacher, it is so much better and also that's what made me play the "beautiful opening".

Now I have to work again on what was today's assignment + Rondo from Kuhlau Sonatina Op.20/1 + play the Invention again and again and again... and minus one exercise. I really played horribly today.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Cheryl, that's great that you are moving to 1 hour! My lesson is 45 mins for logistical reasons, but an hour would be great. Maybe next year.
I think you may well be right about the Chopin, my teacher and I had that very conversation :-)

f3r, feeling relaxed when playing in front of your teacher is quite a breakthrough if that hasn't been the norm for you. It certaily hasn't been for me, and actually I had that same experience this week. I think that's a big reason I felt so good about my lesson, but I didn't really pinpoint it until you said it!

JimF, I *love* your Christmas plans, and especially your suggested gift from your sister.

SwissMS, good luck with your relocation - I'm sure you will soon have a great piano circle going in the new area

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, I think you will like the hour long lessons. They still go by like a snap of the fingers, but you might be pleasantly surprised at how much more you can cover with the extra time.

Like you, I was pretty stoked when I pulled out Guaraldi's Christmas Time is Here from the Charlie Brown book I got 4 years ago. Seemed almost trivial after a few passes... then I got out the Silent Night and Chestnuts Roasting arrangements that my teacher gave me last year and... ooops... they looked like hieroglyphics.

This year, traveling in kiddie-zone, I will try a different batch of songs. Like Rudolf, Frosty, 12 Days, etc., which suits me just fine. My most likely audience will probably have the attention span of a gnat, so I'll try to keep them quick and fun... saving the likes of Debussy or sonorous jazz ballads for late night encounters with eggnog and Mr. Steinway. laugh

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My wife and I moved to hour lessons a year ago. It amazing how fast the time goes by, even with an hour shocked. I think there has been just one lesson in the past year where after about 40 minutes my teacher and I basically said "OK, I think we covered everything now what?"

My AOTW: Played at our teacher's fall musicale in front of 25 people. My first piece went very well, only problems in two measures (out of 34).

The second piece was a duet with my wife, playing my newest composition. It went almost perfectly; I impulsively high-fived my wife right on the bench after we finished smile. I think the best part was I finally felt a slight diminishing of my performance anxiety; I was actively thinking of retiring from public playing if this did not go well.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
[quote=BrianDX I think the best part was I finally felt a slight diminishing of my performance anxiety; I was actively thinking of retiring from public playing if this did not go well. [/quote]

Congrats, Brian! thumb I can attest that each public performance will reduce your anxiety. See where else you can play prior to your next 'recital'

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
BrianDX I changed after my first year from a half hour to the full hour and have never regretted it. It affords the luxury of sometimes just chatting about music and gaining valuable insights from the teacher.

Well done on the recital, there is a performer trapped inside everyone of us if we can get over the nerves.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I got my new piano glasses yesterday and I love them! No more fussing around trying to hit the sweet spot on my progressive lenses.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I got my new piano glasses yesterday and I love them! No more fussing around trying to hit the sweet spot on my progressive lenses.

I can relate to this! I bought piano glasses about six months ago, and what a difference it makes when you can actually see the music!

Page 424 of 540 1 2 422 423 424 425 426 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission