2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi all,
As a long lime lurker of this forum I have decided it's time to introduce myself. I've been learning piano for over 4 years but still consider myself a beginner. I'm 66yrs old so you could say I was a late starter! Although I have spent most of my life listening to pop/rock/blues music, since learning piano I have become very interested in classical especially Chopin. I have a teacher but although I value her knowledge and opinions I would also like others who play piano to listen to me playing to critique and suggest ways to improve. I have started a blog www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp and have posted some video recordings there.
In return I am happy to pass on stuff I have learned along the way and give feedback to others if I feel qualified enough to do so.
Cheers, John H

Semi-retired photographer from Australia enjoying my spare time learning to play piano. Started in 2011...progressing slowly. Would like to correspond and get critiques from others who play. To know more of my journey or listen to me play visit my blog at www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp
John H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello and Welcome, John. I posted my two cents on your site. Welcome to piano world. I always feel lifted up and inspired to see others become passionate about piano. It is wonderful!
By the way, I loved the look of your site.

Be well, play on!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
J
J
Listened to Gymnopedie 1 and the Beethoven Sonatina in Gmaj. Really enjoyed both. I'm a fellow beginner so don't have a lot in the way of criticism and any advice I give may be ignorant, but #1) would it be more comfortable if you held your left wrist slightly higher??, #2) the scales in the sonatina sounded good but your fingers looked a little awkward. I think you, like me, might benefit from more practice on scales.

But, again, it was beautiful. Nice piano and video quality!

Cheers from Jackson, MS

Adult Beginner Since 2012
Steinway L, Casio Privia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxmK-PCS4k9WTLV1oRSJ7g
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to the forum neighbour, for like yourself I also reside in the Hunter.

It's hard to be critical of a fellow player for instinctively any shortcomings are only relative to the time spent playing and your place on the journey. I didn't hear or see anything in your videos to be concerned about though but I have only been taking lesson for three years so I am pretty green. I thought Morning Mood by Grieg was very well crafted, so well in fact that an average seven year old could never quite convey. I thought Gymnopedie No 1 needs more contrast in the dynamics but that's always open to taste.

For some more in depth critique you should definitely submit to our PW quarterly recitals. The November one is open now and taking submissions, since you already have a recording it would be a great opportunity to put your music out there.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm in the exact same boat as you. (I began playing 4 years ago at age 56.) I listened to your recordings and I think you're doing great!

There is a lot of musicianship in your play. You are focused on beat and tone and are trying to bring out the best in the music. I like the sensitivity of your playing.

You should consider joining the quarterly recitals in the Adult Beginner's Forum where intrepid beginners post their latest recordings and get feedback. There is a quarterly recital closing in the next 10 days and I think you'd enjoy listening to the contributions and then see how you could participate next time around.

Onward with the journey!

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 11/04/15 12:54 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PianoWorld, never2old!
Your nickname is great, btw thumb

If you want to have some thoughts about your playing, I would invite you to join our ABF recital (next one: 15 November)
Check what ABF recitals is following this link: ABF recitals Index

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
L
L
I believe that format of your site could be taken as a model for all amateur players to designate their presence in the world. The format of this forum does not cover that. A personal yourtube channel may be good, but some added thoughts and description of one’s particular piano journey make the picture full. Once in a while, I would gladly visit such virtual corners of adult piano amateurs to see how things are going with them and share their joy of progress.

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks for all of you who have welcomed me to the forum and especially those that took the time to visit my blog and offer feedback on my playing. I appreciate the compliments and encouragement and value any criticism. I think most of us adult learners really need a bit of encouragement from different sources to keep us going...I know I do. Although now after over four years of major effort, I think I have 'turned the corner' to some degree, learning to play piano has been the most difficult skill I've ever tried to acquire and I know I still have such a long way to go, even though I'm enjoying the journey.

Hi Earlofmar, I was surprised to hear you are a neighbour in the Hunter Valley, maybe we'll get to meet some day to exchange notes! Thanks to you and the other forum members who suggested I should participate in the upcoming recital. I was a bit reluctant at first but I have plucked up courage and recorded a piece just in time for the deadline...lucky USA time is several hours behind Australia.

Semi-retired photographer from Australia enjoying my spare time learning to play piano. Started in 2011...progressing slowly. Would like to correspond and get critiques from others who play. To know more of my journey or listen to me play visit my blog at www.harrisonsphotography.com.au/wp
John H

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission